13/60 randomly turning off or kicking back, high temps

Quack

Another thing I just realised, the pipe from my tank nearly all the way to the pump is a hose, not a copper or steel pipe. The pipe ends pretty much immediately after leaving the tank as seen in the photo attached, that is just behind the back wheel (the bottom line is the fuel line) Guessing this isn’t normal and it should be steel all the way along?

The inside of the tank doesn't look catastrophic but there's signs of possible flaking, as confirmed by the pump photo. It would probably respond to the clean-etch-paint/line approach but be aware that it's very easy to get that wrong and end up with things in a worse condition than before because the liner flakes off.

The fuel pipe should definitely be solid - steel originally but copper or cunifer preferred for ease - with only minimal rubber joints.

Quack - As Rob says, if you do go with the relining of your tank, Frosts do a kit. It is a 'marmite' kit... Some love it, some hate it, but you MUST follow the instructions precisely (eg. the tank must be perfectly dry) or the lining treatment will flake off in the tank with disasterous results. There is also the ever present danger of residual fuel vapour that would need addressing. Nothing that cannot be dealt with.... with extreme care.

The other option is to leave it as it is which is what Ive done. Obviously remove as much of the rust as possible but it has only occurred because of oxygen so if in future you always keep the tank full further rusting should be minimised.

Then keep an eye on the filter as a guide to whats happening...

club shop sell a metal  chromed cleanable filter

the plastic ones do have a problem  you can tighten the hose clip and compress the plasitc spout to a restriction 

do cut the spout off to suit the hose diameter , as they are stepped to accept 6 or 8mm  dia hoses 

do not overtighten the clips 

Pete

Pulled out the tank to pump fuel line. Are we sure this is meant to be all pipe? It says 1968 on it which is also when my car was manufactured I believe, maybe just a coincidence. I do wonder why whoever replaced the pipes did so with rubber hose instead of an actual pipe though!

187C21AD-3EB5-4F7B-93AF-4F62DE72CC8B.jpeg

C05B6C39-4F57-4EDB-A65A-6AA14563F507.jpeg

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

I bought a cleanable metal/glass body filter from carbuilder solutions that had 1/4" one end and the other 5/16". Very handy when it came to fitting in the hose loop at the tank. 

Iain 

I got a glass one off fleabay. Sent the wrong size and tried to tell me that they had a bad packaging batch!! Found out months later that the fuel pipe was the wrong size but the merchant was no longer listed oh well.  Might even fit it one day!

1 hour ago, Quack said:

Pulled out the tank to pump fuel line. Are we sure this is meant to be all pipe? It says 1968 on it which is also when my car was manufactured I believe, maybe just a coincidence. I do wonder why whoever replaced the pipes did so with rubber hose instead of an actual pipe though!

187C21AD-3EB5-4F7B-93AF-4F62DE72CC8B.jpeg

C05B6C39-4F57-4EDB-A65A-6AA14563F507.jpeg

Pipe from top of tank to first connection is rubber. It should be metal from that connecton all of the way to the engine bay. 1968 may be the date on a reel of rubber pipe or could be a spec or batch number. In my view, it would have perished by now or led a charmed life.

Ok finally finished installing the new lines and filter. I’m a bit concerned about these kinks will they be a problem?

I also spilled a bit of fuel in the bay when unplugging the old line so bit concerned about a fire too.

C9E986D1-E1E0-4DC5-A9B3-B42DC76E73A7.jpeg

1F1FC62A-AF85-4861-AA85-11D9523294A1.jpeg

F0A5F8D3-2E9A-48AF-9C5F-62405CFB0940.jpeg

D1872AC8-67B1-4AF9-814A-698B5A5233D5.jpeg

Started it up anddddd no difference…same story! Starts up with a fair bit of choke and some throttle, then rapidly the power decreases until it shuts off…

only other fuel related thing I’m thinking it could be is the pump then, since I kept the same pump but replaced all the fuel lines

You need to check if any petrol is being pumped to the carb. Take a hose off by the carb and crank it over, does petrol spirt out? Be careful!!! I normally disconnect the ignition system so it can't fire up and put the hose in a container to catch any petrol. 

Is there petrol in the filter? 

1 hour ago, Quack said:

I’m a bit concerned about these kinks will they be a problem?

They will cause some restriction but not enough to cause loss of power at idle. How did you bend the pipe? It really helps to use a proper pipe bender - they're not overly expensive.

Ok! So I did the test mentioned way back, using a funnel and gravity to get fuel to the carb, and the car ran well with that, it didn’t die but I let it run for a good minute or so which normally it can’t make.

while this was happening I had the pipe from pump to carb hanging off the car, and at first no petrol, then a little bit spitting out here and there but not much really.

there is petrol entering the filter, so the problem lies between the pump and the carb, since it’s brand new pipe I’m guessing the problem is the pump, so looks like I’m going to be ordering a new one.