13/60 randomly turning off or kicking back, high temps

Quack

I would just buy some fuel line and a pipe cutter (for considerably less than Rimmers are charging there!) The tank to pump line was in two parts originally joined with a short bit of rubber hose, you’ll probably want a fuel filter before the pump so that means a bit of rubber hose on the other end, and so you don’t need any fittings on the bit of pipe most likely to be suspect. If any of the shorter bits in the engine bay are damaged, it’ll most likely be visible. 

I wouldn't start splashing out on stuff you might not need,if you can hear stuff in the tank it,s a good bet that that is the issue.

Take the sender out and have a look inside(not with a lighted match).

Tanks can be blasted clean and I think new ones are available without the drain but I'm not sure if the capacity is the same on the new ones.I used tank sealer in mine and its still good after 7 years

S

Do not play around with an empty tank. Fill it with water for 24 hrs, then drain and clean it out. I used an aqua vac with a long hose through the fuel gauge hole after I'd filled and drained using water. A freshly drained petrol tank is dangerous.

21 hours ago, Quack said:

Managed to get the tank out with some serious heave ho. Once it was out I was able to get the drain plug out as I could access it better (I jumped on a spanner attached to it!!)

abyway I can hear shite rattling around inside of it, but no way to get the actual tank open as far as I can see

That was not very wise. You could ave caused a spark and ignited the vapour AND that usually fractures the weld between the tube and the tank. Most of us leave the drain plug alone. New tanks do not have it.

You don't suppose that a previous owner put some of those hideous snake oil, ball catalyst things (yes, I know, taking evasive action as I type) that we all hate and don't do anything, in the tank and that is what you can hear rolling about??!! Probably not, but the 'product' was mentioned on here a few weeks ago and it came to mind.

the spec sys its R6   thats  way behind  the norm now is R9as a Minimum  Gates Barricade sold by club is R14    6 is a no no !!!

5 metres   what on earth are you using all that on 

rubber under the car is not an approved solution you only need a 1mtr max to replace the tank and the carb floats  and then some left over 

Pete

I’m a bit confused here, what is the pipe running from the tank to the pump made of? And the pipe from the pump to the carb??? When I look up fuel lines it just gives me all rubber fuel hoses as results. Is it just basic copper?

The original fuel pipes were all steel, with only a few short lengths of rubber to join them. So there is a 6" rubber hose from the tank pick-up to the main pipe, possibly a 2" joiner somewhere along the chassis, a 6" hose from main pipe to pump inlet stub. Then it's a solid steel pipe from the pump outlet round the front of the engine to the carb, where another 2" rubber hose joins to the carb inlet.

Copper pipe is much easier to work with than steel, and doesn't rust. However, it work hardens, so cunifer is a better option.

• Like 1

as BW says cheapest is buy some 6 or 8mm micro bore tubing from BQ or any C heating outlet

the short hose out the top of the tank is a prime place to degrade and be a loose fit this sucks air  stops the fuel supply 

its a common place hidden up in the boot and gets ignored 

the reserve is just a currved tub that rotates a little to lower the suction tube closer to the bottom of the tank    its simple , there is no seperate reserve tank 

Pete

• Like 1

sorry if this keeps getting bleated about but......if there is any doubt about the hose go to club shop   R14 

there is a load of complete tosh on sale from factors and market place outlets 

more fueling problems on this forum  are due to fake or make believe hose specs  giving up at an early life , often worse than the 50 year old originals 

Pete

40 minutes ago, Quack said:

Best I could find in local store is R7, I’m guessing that won’t be good enough?

Not necessarily. There are quite few different standards - E5 & E10, maximum pressure etc.

I would have thought any reliable motor parts store would ONLY be selling hose that was at least ok for E5 & E10, plus diesel and high pressure.

J30R7 is ok for E5 & E10, I believe. Check out Frost.co.uk for the various specs.

club shop  Gates barricade is bullet proof to all the Es   sorry just trying to be clear     do it once 

why not  ????  belive the lables if you must  most turn out to be rubbish .... just be careful of what you are getting 

or a silly job will need doing again very soon 

just see all the posts about rubber slivers and fuel blockages inside hoses ,  

its not the fuel its the crap hoses on sale 

Pete

I would agree with that, there isn't a week that goes by without the problem coming up. Buy Gates from a proper supplier. I bought mine from the local car spares place, they supply to just about every garage in the area.