Condensation in gauges ???

On 24/10/2022 at 17:28, cliff.b said:

Can't imagine why anyone would want to dim them 😎

At least I can read them in the dark now I have fitted LEDs 👍

I always have my gauges in the modern car quite dim, and never found the Triumph ones to be too dim. I really dislike bright gauges at night, as they distract from the road ahead. A nice, warm white glow works well.

I did use a pair of leds for an indicator WL, and that was horrenous at night, as a temp measure on the RBRR it got gaffa taped over, after I managed to dim it, a bit of clear sealant behind the green lens diffused the light. 

15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Clive,

I'm surprised Triumph didn't link them to the dread night dimmer relay, although not all models had them. I've got one if you'd like it? :lol:

Doug

no need, my 50 odd year old gauge bulbs are just dandy!

I have always wondered if that dimmer relay was a draughtmans cockup, an dshould have been for the gauges. My Honda dims the gauges when you pop the sidelights on. Very sensible (as you would expect from Honda)

6 hours ago, clive said:

I always have my gauges in the modern car quite dim, and never found the Triumph ones to be too dim. I really dislike bright gauges at night, as they distract from the road ahead. A nice, warm white glow works well.

I did use a pair of leds for an indicator WL, and that was horrenous at night, as a temp measure on the RBRR it got gaffa taped over, after I managed to dim it, a bit of clear sealant behind the green lens diffused the light. 

Dim is ok but I do like to be able to actually read them.

Im just changing my Vitesse jewel indicator repeater to LED (single front facing chip type) in an effort to make it easier to see in bright sunlight and I think I'll do the oil light at the same time. However wont do instrument lights, ignition light (cos dynamo needs original bulb) or main beam as its already bright enough at night.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, johny said:

Im just changing my Vitesse jewel indicator repeater to LED (single front facing chip type) in an effort to make it easier to see in bright sunlight

Recently replaced mine by LED with 3 front facing chips and it is noticeably brighter

• Thanks 1

no idea ,  not played with dynamos for far to many years past 

we spent all day on Tim Humts   (CT)  T4A control box  with lots of measure setting checking reading  more checking and a short run down the road  blew the headlamp bulbs   

so  as most say dont mess with control boxes   real fussy things even when you are paranoid about the test data and getting it all correct and   kaboom

Pete