Condensation in gauges ???

Alan,

Yes I get it, but a short run normally sorts it out, one thing the overheated GT6 cabin is good for!  But you can get gel packs. The club shop sell a dehumidifier, £12, zap it in the microwave then leave it in the car till it changes colour, then zap it again.

Doug

• Like 1

yes bit of heat will disipate  it its the time of year for cold places to attract condensation 

and panel bulb holders are not air or moisture proofed  i guess you could seal them up 

on a nice warm day 

the front glass seals are normally well stuck so venting at the back is an good  idea 

Pete

I`ve had Good results, putting the De-Humidifier, in the "moderns" when they feel a bit dampish or the windshield fogs as soon as you start. Overnight you can pull a couple of Litres out of an SUV. Not likely to work too well on an classic convertible though I suspect. Running the A-C with the heater on demists quickly too. But again that won`t apply to to many 1970 Triumphs either!.

Curiosity?. Did they ever put A-C in any export cars?. US exports would be favourite if they ever did I suppose?.

Pete

Carpet holds a LOT of water and therefore moisture. Also all the dirt and hair hold a lot of moisture as well. Even a thin layer of dust holds moisture.

I had a problem with my Skoda and found getting the most powerful vacuum cleaner to and giving everything a good cleaning helped.

Yeh, my garage door has a gap top and bottom allowing ventilation. My neighbour didn't like it on his and sealed top and bottom for the winter. Come spring his extensive Star Wars collection, models in original boxes, DVDs, books etc, all covered in damp and mould, mostly scrap!

Doug

Some of my Spitfire gauges suffered from this but only in the evening which may have been the humidity level or may have been due to heat from the instrument bulbs.

When I refurbished the dash, I removed the gauges and left them on top of a radiator for a week to try and remove any moisture. Also, I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs while doing so and noticed that the green dome over the lamp on each gauge experiencing the issue had melted to some extent, so clearly they weren't sealed.

Anyway, the problem has now gone, I just don't know if it was the thorough drying out or replacing the bulbs which has done it.

12 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

the green dome over the lamp on each gauge experiencing the issue had melted to some extent,

I got green LEDs for the gauges and for Halloween I put green in the courtesy light and foot well. The ceiling was one was a bit much afterwards, so I went back to white, but the footwell remains green. 

Doug

2 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I got green LEDs for the gauges and for Halloween I put green in the courtesy light and foot well. The ceiling was one was a bit much afterwards, so I went back to white, but the footwell remains green. 

Doug

LOL.

I used a green led to illuminate the heater controls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, I did that too, strange that it's all there to do it, but they just didn't put the bulb in! Bean counters, I guess.

Doug

Maybe considered too "luxurious" for a Spitfire. Was it illuminated as standard in a GT6? Or was the same bezel used in any more upmarket saloons?

8 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

No, no, same on the GT6. I think the USA Spitfire and GT6 may have had a bulb? You could dim the gauge lights on those! The height of sophistication.

Doug

Can't imagine why anyone would want to dim them 😎

At least I can read them in the dark now I have fitted LEDs 👍

I had to re-do my ONC at night school having got 15% in elec eng on day release. You're only likely to make up 20% apparently so I would have failed next time as well, I blame real ale and wild women. But they let me do City and Guilds Arc welding during the day which was fun. And I got 97% in elec eng  next time around. Ha!

Doug