Where best to jack up my Herald?

Hi, 

Something I have done before a couple of times but I've always found it a bit of a dilemma, as to where the best place on the chassis is to jack up my Herald, using my trolley jack.

I've looked online and all the information / pictures seem to be of Spitfires rather than Heralds, as requested by my search....

What are the best jacking points to use to raise the car, assuming a solid chassis?

I want to put axle stands front and rear, as I need complete access under my car, so I can remove the gearbox and (also) change the propshaft.

I'm hoping someone can provide a diagram or similar that I can refer back to if I need to.

The points I've used before have always been a bit of struggle to reach with my trolley jack (the Herald being considerably nearer to the ground than my Morris), so I'm hoping that there are points I can use that are nearer to the outer edges.

Many thanks, as always, for any advice offered.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• jagnut66 changed the title to Where best to jack up my Herald?

I usually put the trolley jack under the diff or the crossmember under the rack, all nice and central so it jacks one end of the car up. 

Axle stands are easier on a herald, use the front and rear outriggers, as long as they are good and strong. On the spitfire there are no rear outriggers, so stands go under the main chassis rails.

If you want to raise the whole car, then a central lifting point is convenient, so you can place the axle stands without obstruction,

I use a trolley jack and at the front, the chassis cross rail behind the radiator has a wide flat surface that takes the jack lift platform securely.

At the rear, the similar cross rail just behind the diff is as useful, but it is mounted at an angle, so the platform can slip off.   So I use a lifting block made from a piece of wood about 4" square, with a forward notch that engages with the rera cross rail.  See pic.    The notch is reinforced with long screws, as the grain of a wood would weaken it.

1332382309_Rearjackingpad.png.0ee70291ce286fa7ea6ff91933d22106.png

Jhn

Wow, that was so easy compared to all the messing around trying to get the trolley jack in a suitable position during the previous occasions I've raised her.

2 hours ago, clive said:

I usually put the trolley jack under the diff or the crossmember under the rack, all nice and central so it jacks one end of the car up.

Thanks Clive, I went with your suggestion this time, with due trepidation because this is when you find out just how solid your front crossmember or how secure your diff really is.

Thankfully no creaks or groans and she is now up in the air.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

At the rear, the similar cross rail just behind the diff is as useful, but it is mounted at an angle, so the platform can slip off.   So I use a lifting block made from a piece of wood about 4" square, with a forward notch that engages with the rera cross rail.

Noted John, now she is up in the air I can get a fix on where this is and whether my trolley jack would be able to reach it comfortably or not.

If not I'll stick to using the diff, which incidentally is also the point where I jack the rear of my Morris's up.

The world is full of little ironies and coincidences............ 🙂

Best wishes,

Mike.

I’m with JohnD a tapered block of wood that fits under the crossmember at the back but rather that the wood upright reinforced with screws I used a length of angle screwed under the wood and at the back the angle protrudes above the short side of the taper and easily fits in the gap to the diff ie the diff isn’t loaded at all also. The timber also has a locating ring underneath for the hoist to locate on so slip or chance of it.

photo later today when I go into the garage 4:30AM here.

Rear Crossmember Jacking Timber.JPG

Jacking Timber Bottom Locating Ring.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
Photo's added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1