Ratchet ring spanner recommendations?

1969Mk3Spitfire

9 hours ago, clive said:

And yes, I know of a garage who had some snap on diagnostic stuff, not cheap. Went wring just out of warranty. Snap on were decidly less than helpful. He bought the replacement elsewhere.

What?!?  I thought SnapOn did a lifetime guarantee on all their stuff - maybe not electronics.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 18:29, JohnD said:

I'm with Clive on getting a Halfords trade card.     I was offered one many years ago, when thanks to some thieves I was buying a complete new set of tools on the insurance money!

But see How to Apply for a Halfords Trade Card | Halfords UK .  I'm not saying, of course, that anyone should tell porkies, but the fourth option should be easy to provide!

Also, I note the "group" option.    I wonder if any TSSC Group has asked if they may qualify by this route?

John

Resurrecting this as the season of “January Sale” is now upon us.

I took your advice, John and @clive, and this morning I applied for a Halford Trade card. Online application took less than five minutes, in-branch verification about the same. The hardest part was going into my loft to find qualification certificates that hadn’t seen the light of day since the late 1970s.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry Folks, a bit late to the show.....

I try to use the ring size with just the one hex, rather like a hex socket. I'm not a great advocate of mixed sizes on the same spanner "Neither fish nor fowl"...

As we all know, always buy the best you can afford for the job 

We as a member of our Triumph car club here have negiotated to get a min of trade discount from a local major motor factor Bursons

In fact when my son had a Alfa 33 and the alternator failed I got the new Diode pack at 67% discount less than $30.

Being getting trade for over 30 years!

Given that this thread has been resurrected I’ll give an update. I bought Halfords Pro with articulated heads. Just started to use them in readiness for the season ahead. I’ve found them quite useful, especially where access is poor or restricted, but if I were to buy again I would buy fixed head. Once or twice, the articulated head has slipped.

23 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Given that this thread has been resurrected I’ll give an update. I bought Halfords Pro with articulated heads. Just started to use them in readiness for the season ahead. I’ve found them quite useful, especially where access is poor or restricted, but if I were to buy again I would buy fixed head. Once or twice, the articulated head has slipped.

There are definitely some places you need them, but they do often slip at the worst moment...

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There are definitely some places you need them, but they do often slip at the worst moment...

Neither does it help when you’re convinced that it’s 13mm AF but later discover that it’s 1/2 inch.

I’ll put the starter motor back on once the swelling has gone down and the skin healed (a blue oval car of the 80s).

F37FAAF9-562F-41F3-BFE0-80827B143E54.jpeg.bd8bf0d9b16e7818e2f64c56d0b78b45.jpeg

I have a metric set of ratchet spanners with an articulated head and a A/F set with a fixed head.  I find the fixed head much more secure in use whereas the articulated head can sometimes flex and slip off.  Occasionally I find a nut that only the articulated head will reach but then I do not apply too much torque in case I come down with a case of "ratchet rash".

i have a halfords pro imperial fixed    and swivel head metrics  all done sterling work for many years without fault 

often can be metric  ones in the centre of aldi/lidl   very cheap  and many metric have equivalent  imperial fits 

so these can be a very economical addition to the tool rack 

Pete

21 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

(a blue oval car of the 80s).

Hence my recent purchase of an 18.5mm socket, and my three trips yesterday to locate an oil filter, for one of the same marque. It seems some staff members who should know better no longer know what a canister filter looks like.