Ratchet ring spanner recommendations?

1969Mk3Spitfire

aldi do metric swivel heads from time to time  have used them as raffle prizes with no complaints 

10 = 3/8   11 = 7/16   13= 1/2   14= 9/16   17 = 1/16    19 = 3/4     so there are many  that  metric fits imperial or other way round 

I have a halfords set as Clive mentions  many years on still perfectly fine 

Pete

Yup, I have 4 sets of Halford's Imperial, kept loosing the 1/2" (and 4 year old grandson nicked some) so went back for more. Also 1 set of metric and a set each of flexiheads. As I have so many they don't each get used so much, but the oldest are 15+ years and still serviceable. As Pete says a full metric set contains Imperial near enoughs.  Wait for Halford's January sale.

Doug 

1 hour ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

To be expected, there’s a bewildering choice available. Anyone care to make a recommendation for a metric set?

Is flex/articulated head a desirable feature?

Many thanks.

I bought a set, and have hardly ever used them.    There is always another way around getting at an awkward bolt.   When I have tried, and used the hinge, it makes pulling on the spanner very weak.

Not worth it, IMHO.

John

• Like 1

Given that you are looking for Metric your choice of decent suppliers is wider than with AF, I’d recommend Halfords Advance sets but wait until the sales, they are usually heavily discounted :)   If you can’t wait for their special offers then try and find someone with a Halfords trade card - being a Halfords brand you should get a good discount.

worth remembering that they carry a very good warranty, if you have a problem they’ll just take one off the shelf or out of a set for you without a quibble. I am reliably informed that they are the same items as those supplied as Craftsman in the US and the quality is comparable to Snap-On.

……. Andy

Halfords, did have a “lifetiMe” warranty at one point. I have a now over 20year or more 3/8 drive set. And 1/4 drive set of similar vintage. Both having had a hard life but still survive. Along with my 1960’s Gedore 1/2” drive set. The ratchet driver of which got lost in a sewage plant and never recovered. It’s replacement is a Swedish Baco, as are my 3 adjustables.

Pete

I can recommend WERA tools.  I use their Allen keys on a regular basis and on the strength of their performance I persuaded my son to buy me a set of their 'Joker' brand metric ratchet spanners as my birthday present when they were on offer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.  Expensive, but excellent quality. 

I also have some Halfords ones. Also good quality.

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/wera-073290-joker-4-piece-metric-ratcheting-combination-spanner-set/

1 hour ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Many thanks to all. Generally good feedback for Halfords. I don’t know anyone with a trade card but I’m happy for Santa to wait until their next sale. Unless, of course, @JohnDis planning to part with his unwanted set 😁

A surprising range of people can get a tradecard. You can check what documents are required, and apply online, I think it is a business card and maybe some qualifications. Should be easy enough to create if you need to.

Iblagged mine instore years ago, but could now legitimately get one. I thought at one time they accepted car club memberships?

Interesting I use Kingchrome as my good daily use set of open end, ring, sockets and ratcheting spanners in both AF and metric, there great tools Japanese I thought they were available world wide. I like the finish on the Kingchrome slightly rougher/mottled and like a satin chrome not shiny so not as slippery with oily hands.

I have cheapie sets of AF ratcheting spanners in each of the Triumphs (3) in case needed enroute there a bit chunkier that the Kingchrome but again they haven’t failed me!

I don’t like the swivel heads ratchets as Pete said you seem to loose purchase if not straight and I’m always scared they will move/slip when hard tightening down resulting in PAIN! As I don’t use them hasn’t happened so a self defining prosphery  

I'm with Clive on getting a Halfords trade card.     I was offered one many years ago, when thanks to some thieves I was buying a complete new set of tools on the insurance money!

But see How to Apply for a Halfords Trade Card | Halfords UK .  I'm not saying, of course, that anyone should tell porkies, but the fourth option should be easy to provide!

Also, I note the "group" option.    I wonder if any TSSC Group has asked if they may qualify by this route?

John

SnapOn are for the pro mechanic, who uses and abuses their tools every day, even for 40 years!   With a corresponding price and lifetime guarantee.

Halfords offer the same guarantee. They will will replace a broken tool off the shelf, even breaking up a set to do so - I've been there, with a small ratchet wrench I had shamefully abused!  The Halfords prices are much, much less, but you have to go to the store to claim that, SnapOn come to your workshop with a storeful of tools in their van to choose from.   If you want that sort of service, pay the SnapOn price, but Halfords "Professional" range is very much up there and will not wear out with non-professional use.   Unless of course you abuse the tools!

John   (No connection with Halfords, but I do have a Trade Card!)

i went off snap on  , bought a pair of pozidrive off the van when at a dealers and they were made of cheese  replaced them 3 times    just very expensive but rubbish

the 40 yr old blue Stanley just keep going   and going  the tips are after years of use and abuse still perfect

the snap on's are just used as spikes now 

Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i went off snap on  , bought a pair of pozidrive off the van when at a dealers and they were made of cheese  replaced them 3 times    just very expensive but rubbish

the 40 yr old blue Stanley just keep going   and going  the tips are after years of use and abuse still perfect

the snap on's are just used as spikes now 

Pete

Snap on buy a lot of tyheir stuff in. I have some snap on stuf-d extractors somewhere, my friend who was an Irwin sales manager acquired some as they were made by irwin. Good stuff generally, but I wouldn't pay for the name. 

And yes, I know of a garage who had some snap on diagnostic stuff, not cheap. Went wring just out of warranty. Snap on were decidly less than helpful. He bought the replacement elsewhere.

I too have a 1960's Gedore socket set. It has only let me down once when I used the 1/2" AF as a drift after which it wouldn't fit 1/2" AF nuts. The metal case it came with corroded away many years ago but everything else still works as good as new. Halfords professional range are what I use for the motorbikes and any other metric oddities I come across. Excellent tools!

6 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Strange it should let you down . These pages are full of drifts and i have never heard them effect sockets before 🤪. Have many partial socket sets, where over the years the cases have failed and some sockets have either broken or gone missing. Had quite a few cars where i have found sockets and spanners left in them when I've bought them. Some sort of unofficial exchange program going on?

I seem to have some kind of thing going against stud removers, where in every set I have the 10mm stud remover is broken. I suppose it makes a change from losing 7/16 spanners.

I just replaced my 11/16 Britool socket from a set i have, broken whilst standing on the ratchet trying to undo a wheel nut on my Passat,the socket split.

Bought a 40 year old Snap on one for £4 on e bay.

I have a set of imperial ratchet spanners(flexi head) of unknown make, invaluable recently for doing up the engine valance nuts on my Vitesse on the manifold side with zero space to get your hand in. 

S

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Strange, i can never find the 1/2 and 9/16th spanners, although i have several! One of my halfords 1/2 sockets has gone missing, just a hole in the tray where it should be! Most turn up, usually just after a replacement has been bought!

Now that’s a good idea for a new thread, tool swop!

I’ve been missing a 17mm 6-point, 3/8 drive socket for years. Anyone have 2; what do you need in exchange 😁

I purchased a discounted metric flexi head set of ratchet spanners from Halfords when my son worked there as a holiday job assembling cycles.  I latter bought a fixed head imperial set when they were on offer.  I have had no issues with either set but prefer the fixed head as the flexi head spanners can bend when you do not  want them to do so, seriously reducing the torque you can apply to the nut. If the fastening is very tight/seized, I tend to use a non ratchet spanner to free the nut (hit with a hammer or extend the leverage) then use the ratchet to speed removal.  

I have a complete set of Gordon Whitworth double ended ring spanners all that remains of a complete set of Gordon AF, Metric & Whitworth ring and open ended spanners my dad brought when we lived here in Melbourne the 50’s early 60’s before returning to the UK WHY is it only the Whit rings remain? I never use Whit!
I understand why the others were lost in multiple world wide moves, Aus to UK to Canada to UK then finally back here to Aus & that’s without the in country house moves!

3 hours ago, GrahamB said:

end to use a non ratchet spanner to free the nut (hit with a hammer or extend the leverage) then use the ratchet to speed removal.  

I STILL have scars from doing that, not because the spanner failed in fact It worked perfectly. It was the speed and violence of the spanners owner, (the  fitter with whom I was working), who decided that an apprentice who abused his tools deserved instant retribution. That was when I was taken by the ear and introduced the the "flogging spanner", designed for use with a hammer, not one of his prized Chrome "King Dick" set!!.

Pete