Spitfire manual windscreen washer conversion

Jonah

Has anyone converted a spitfire from manual pump windscreen washer to run electrically?

my manual pump it seems doesn’t have the grunt to pump the water to the jets, perhaps the pipe runs are too long and too many’T’ pieces

Perhaps I should convert it

Thanks Julian 

Fit a small 12v pump, eBay or the like have hundreds for less than a tenner, and either use a new switch for it or else convert the existing to look original. I'm doing this on the Herald, the pump will be inside the bulkhead behind the dash so not visible and I'm adding a small switch on the underside of the dashboard. You can buy pumps that fit into the washer bottle or else modern one-piece units combining both bottle and pump. It just depends on how original you want it to look.

The most common problem with the manual pump is that one of the two one-way valves is missing or stuck open. Commonly it's the little ball-in-a-tube in the washer bottle that's gone.

If you do want to go electric, pumps are readily available, as Colin says. You should probably change the pick-up valve for a filter (as the factory did when fitting electric washer pumps).

What model of Spitfire? If it's a MkIV with the turn-to-wipe-and-push-to-squirt knob, then early Toledo's had a variant of that knob but designed for electric washer pump. The round-tail Spitfires' separate push button can be converted to an electric switch with a bit of ingenuity. Mine has a push switch fitted into the original aluminium recessed mount, but I've not yet got round to attaching the original knob to it.

I've had a Toledo electric switch fitted in my Mk IV with one of the basic inline electric pumps for years and while it works and is better than the old manual pump I've also more recently fitted a generic eBay 'pump in bottle' one to my 2500 S, replacing the standard 'inline pump on top of bottle' set-up - and that's got significantly better pressure.  In less you're looking to keep things looking original I'd look to see if one of the 'pump in bottle' kits will fit on a Spitfire bulkhead, rather than an inline pump.

Only issue with the Toledo switch is the knob/switch body retaining lug orientation is different so the graphic on the end of the knob isn't horizontal unless you modify things.

You can get a one way valve in any aquarium supply store that will take over any of the valves that are acting up.

I put in 3, one near the bottle and one in each of the tubes to the jets. A little over kill but they were so cheap I didn't see why not... I swear they ejeac... I mean squirt much better...

Thanks everyone

its a Mk3 Spitfire with the one speed wipers and a push pump washer

looking at the pipe work I can only see ‘T’ pieces and a non return valve in the washer bottle on the end of the pipe 

the pump is an SC Parts unit with one supply and two jet outlets hence the ‘T’ pieces

no squirt whatsoever!

Thanks everyone

i think SC Parts was the supplier of the pump

ill get a non return valve to start with to see if I can restore some squirtage in the old girl

if that doesnt restore function I’ll follow your suggestions for an electrically assisted option

best Julian 

you will need a second 1 way valve between the pump and washer jets. The pump is a simple bellow so without a 1 way valve will bush a few cc out and the suck air back in, the original set up had a 1 way valve in the washer bottle and then another was in the pump, the repros do not have this so you need to fit a valve after the pump.

2 hours ago, DanMi said:

you will need a second 1 way valve between the pump and washer jets. The pump is a simple bellow so without a 1 way valve will bush a few cc out and the suck air back in, the original set up had a 1 way valve in the washer bottle and then another was in the pump, the repros do not have this so you need to fit a valve after the pump.

Thanks Dan I didn’t realise that. The pipe into to bottle just has an open end

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

I thought (at least on some of them) the jets each, had a ball bearing type one valve. Think my Vit has these?

It looks like the whole washer system was replaced at some point with a new aftermarket kit that has never been effective. The pump looks modern as do the T pieces and pipes. There are ball bearing type valves that I can see. The pump sucks then blows back

23 minutes ago, Jonah said:

It looks like the whole washer system was replaced at some point with a new aftermarket kit that has never been effective. The pump looks modern as do the T pieces and pipes. There are ball bearing type valves that I can see. The pump sucks then blows back

Meant to say there are no ball bearing valves 

14 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Thank you so much, I can see the switch link but the pump isn’t available, can you remember any details so I can find an alternative?

best juiian 

Found the pump and have ordered the bits from eBay, nice little project ahead!