Wheel Cylinder -Replace or Repair

Stratton Jimmer

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

who put saw dust on his earthen floor from a local carpenter's works to catch oil spills etc as it got dirty he mixed the sawdust with old engine oil and burned it in a stove/burner

The lunch time pub at apprentice Technical College had sawdust on the floor. Don't know how well that would burn? But I suspect a nice smell!

Doug

Mid 60’s working in Kilmarnock a construction foreman I’d worked with on a fertiliser plant in Immingham invited me over to Motherwell where he was upgrading steelworks there, he took me to a local pub which had saw dust on the floor, the riggers kept their safety helmets on and podgers in their belts Harry told me if trouble starts follow me and get out quick, the sawdust on the floor was not only for the slops but to soak up the any blood spilt!

The podger has one sharp end to align the holes and an open end an open ended spanner to tighten the nuts, a damned dangerous tool in a fight! The light weight Ally safety hats weren’t much use as a podger was like a hot knife thro butter!

My sawdust pub was called The Cabbage Patch in Twickenham. Twickenham RFU ground was originally built on old allotments and was initially refereed to as The Cabbage Patch, probably due to the poor quality of the pitch. The pub is still there and a bit fancier now, don't cha know!

Doug

18 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My sawdust pub was called The Cabbage Patch in Twickenham

18 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

The pub is still there and a bit fancier now, don't cha know!

The saw dust is probably more up market as well then, exotic teak or eco friendly bamboo

On 29/01/2023 at 19:41, johny said:

The ULEZ is currently all the area inside the north and south circular road but next August is going to be expanded to cover all Greater London boroughs😲

Pure greed. No other way to describe it. In my view.

Pete

8 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My brother looked it up recently and tells me historic vehicles are exempt. 

Doug

True, aparently so is the traction engine owned by a bloke in our village, daft as it seems.? Love to see some driving through London😂 Didn't someone take a pink painted tank around Westminster some years back?😂

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Pure greed. No other way to describe it. In my view.

There was an article in Le Figaro yesterday about French visitors driving their cars in the London zone and then getting a huge fine for not having pre-registered their cars before hand. I suppose the authorities are working on 'ignorance is no excuse'.

24 minutes ago, Chris A said:

There was an article in Le Figaro yesterday about French visitors driving their cars in the London zone and then getting a huge fine for not having pre-registered their cars before hand. I suppose the authorities are working on 'ignorance is no excuse'.

What happens if they just give the gallic shrug and don't pay?  Not a lot I would think! :lol:

Doug

Not sure. But it is alleged that since Brexit, "Continental/EU" Law enforcement can no longer access UK driver database(s)?? and UK drivers are only fined IF caught on the spot?. IF that be the case the no doubt the reciprocal will be their norm too?

Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and where does the money go  

Pete

My Guess would be "Citizen Kahn"`s latest favourite white elephant project?. (Cynic? what Me guv?). I hear that (Tony) B`Liars Big Pink (now bleached white?) tent down in SE10, needs a new roof?. Sure fact it won`t ever help anywhere North of Watford Gap. But a brilliant way of fleecing more cash out of locals, without being seen to put direct taxation up?.

Pete

4 hours ago, PeteH said:

Not sure. But it is alleged that since Brexit, "Continental/EU" Law enforcement can no longer access UK driver database(s)?? and UK drivers are only fined IF caught on the spot?. IF that be the case the no doubt the reciprocal will be their norm too?

Pete

All I can add is that the French drivers are receiving the fines notice at their home addresses.

• Like 1

Apparently the process for logging a qualifying foreign reg car as exempt so it can drive in Londons ULEZ without fine or daily charge is pretty excruciating. However paying the 12.50 is, of course😁, very easy even with a foreign number plate and presumably the system then doesnt send out penalty notices...

1 hour ago, johny said:

Apparently the process for logging a qualifying foreign reg car as exempt so it can drive in Londons ULEZ without fine or daily charge is pretty excruciating. However paying the 12.50 is, of course😁, very easy even with a foreign number plate and presumably the system then doesnt send out penalty notices...

Apparently the fines are in the order of 180 Euros, reduced by half if paid within, I think it said, 15 days.

It`s obviously a bit "hit and miss" then. Reports of people having been "flashed" by French (for example) "Speed" Camera`s appear regularly on  F-B sites, with actual follow up "fines" being apparently something of a lottery?.

Halving the fine, if paid promptly is a way of making sure the minimum number of people challenge the alleged offence. UK police forces are alleged to be very lax about getting instumentaton calibrated regularly. Which can lead to challenging a marginal figure often meaning it is dropped.

Pete

On 31/01/2023 at 14:04, PeteH said:

True, aparently so is the traction engine owned by a bloke in our village, daft as it seems.? Love to see some driving through London😂 Didn't someone take a pink painted tank around Westminster some years back?😂

Pete

The TFL website at the following URL details the exemptions and vehicles registered as "Historic" are exempt insofar as you qualify for a 100% discount:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/discounts-and-exemptions#:~:text=All vehicles that have a,vans or street food vans).