Carbs draining mystery

Ian Cooper

I've been struggling with starting issues and am looking for suggestions.

If I leave my GT6 Mk2 (stud carbs, electronic ignition), for any time the carbs seem to drain and it takes ages to refill by cranking.

If I use the fuel pump lever, and 'prime' the carbs, she fires first time every time, so where is the fuel going and why? I can't find any leaks and she runs really well.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Ah, drain back! The lever pumps a great deal more than the pump in normal operation, so it's not as bad as it seems. There is a one way valve in the pump,  but it's not very effective, replacement did not improve the problem for me. You may have a leak or then there is evaporation. I have thought about an additional one way valve in the fuel line. 

Doug

51 minutes ago, Ian Cooper said:

I've been struggling with starting issues and am looking for suggestions.

If I leave my GT6 Mk2 (stud carbs, electronic ignition), for any time the carbs seem to drain and it takes ages to refill by cranking.

If I use the fuel pump lever, and 'prime' the carbs, she fires first time every time, so where is the fuel going and why? I can't find any leaks and she runs really well.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Its impossible for the fuel to drain back from the float chambers as the fuel in there sits below the entry needle valves so would have to defy gravity to go back through them. No, the fuel in there is lost through evaporation because the chambers are open to atmosphere through a vent into the air filter box and this has to exist to allow the level of fuel to vary.

So if you leave the car long enough (probably worse in warm weather) this issue is impossible to avoid and indeed I try to manually operate my pump every couple of weeks to stop the chambers from drying out completely and getting a residue build up.

However Doug is right about the pump having non return valves, theres two and if either of these leaks the pump will be less efficient so at cranking speed will take longer to prime the carbs. Eventually this deteriorates until you get fuel starvation at continuous high engine loads (typically high speed up an incline) but I think your pump has still got some life left in it...

I've had this phenomenon ( don't want to call it trouble ) since I bought my Spitfire 1500 years ago. When hot, she fires up immediately. Been right through the car chasing non-existent faults, starter solenoid, leads etc, ignition system top to bottom, even relaced the mechanical fuel pump like for like. Some slight improvements but nothing groundbreaking. Late last year I took the plunge and fitted a Huco electric pump, as recommended on the forum. In short, I wish I'd done it years ago, turns over a couple of times then away we go. Evaporation is the cause, I'm absolutely convinced, after a run there's a whiff of fuel in the garage for a good few days. Hope this helps.

Derek.

P.s. let's not forget since our cars were built fuel and modern fuel systems have changed considerably.

Yes an electric pump will give full flow immediately unlike a mechanical at cranking speed (even a good pump) so fill the carbs faster. However many owners quite like this delay in fire up, as long as their battery is good, because it allows more time for oil to be pumped round the engine to hopefully avoid the infamous start up bigend rattle...

• Thanks 1

I have evaporation after a couple of months winter lay off. Occasionally, after a shorter lay off, mine will start and then die, due to the pump not overcoming the drain back quickly enough. An electric pump might be on the cards but there are a few threads on here where the pump turned out to be too powerful causing further headaches.

Doug

and dont forget if you have a priming lever the cam needs to be on its back or the lever gets a restricted stroke and can be quite useless

if there is little resistance give the engine a short crank over to improve the cam position  ( trial and error ) 

agree drain back might affect the initial pump action drawing fuel up the supply but the low float chambers is just evaporation 

unless it can jump up to the float needle by magic or on SU leak from the jet tube union

on herald/vitesse always check the short hose on the tank outlet is sealed and secure its a great culprit for sucking air 

Pete

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

there are a few threads on here where the pump turned out to be too powerful causing further headaches

I haven't read of any problems when the Huco low pressure pump is used. It is I think rated at 2.1psi. Just don't fix it on rubber mounts bolted to a blanking plate over the original pump as mine got too hot and suffered from evaporation. I've fixed it on the horizontal ledge next to the battery and it seems much happier🤞

Iain 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

I have evaporation after a couple of months winter lay off. Occasionally, after a shorter lay off, mine will start and then die, due to the pump not overcoming the drain back quickly enough. An electric pump might be on the cards but there are a few threads on here where the pump turned out to be too powerful causing further headaches.

Doug

I have the HUCO 13001 fuel pump and can recommend it 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Not yet!

Paul, How did you wire it in? 

Iain 

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I didn’t fit a relay though it’s has a 10am fuse . From memory it uses 5 to 8 amps 

Paul

Bolted to the side panel by the battery . Wired inline on positive side and protected by 10am fuse 

8DC8D74F-A882-4F8D-A5E3-58B251A47BE5.thumb.jpeg.46b17b3d82f6f16d168a0ef8fc968e0a.jpeg

AC15706E-D751-44DF-A525-2D1974B754CE.thumb.jpeg.e851545068dfe3002cb9af835555b716.jpeg

Paul 

• Thanks 1

I simply think of it this way. If the engine hasn't been run for long enough for the fuel to evaporate the oil will also have drained back so I just think of the few extra turns of the engine as being a good thing as it lubricates the engine before it fires.

• Like 1

On my Mk2 GT6, I changed to a Huco electric pump due to problems of fuel vaporisation in the mechanical pump. After a 'failure to proceed' on a hot day in traffic, I took the top off the pump to see fuel boiling in the bowl.

The Huco has been very reliable and I have fitted an impact cutoff switch. I have mounted the pump on the front side of the n/s suspension turret and the impact switch on the main bulkhead behind the battery.

You can clearly hear the fuel being pumped into the carbs, which is particularly noticeable after a longish period of non use.

Ian

DSC_8091.JPG

DSC_7789.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johny said:

but whats the advantage of an electric pump then

It used to take many more pulls to start with the mechanical pump and I personally believe the Huco is more reliable and not over pressured than some of the new replacement mechanical pumps. 

Iain 

• Thanks 1