Vitesse Convertible Mk2 Overdrive Wanted

Puglet1

11 hours ago, Wagger said:

No Pete, I can only drive up to 3.5 T. I did not risk keeping the higher tonnage because I was ill at the time and may not have passed the medical. I am sticking with 3 tonne max now. The drive takes a six metre MOHO and a 5 metre estate car.

Yes, I looked hard and long, I got my 3 year renewal back in June 2022. But we wanted the layout we have. After Having "Yanks" it was as near a compromise as we could to what we had got used to. When I hit 80 later this year, this may well have to change, as the insurance will likely become the next "ageist" issue. My last travel quote to go to the USA to our son`s was "eye watering" to say the least!.

Pete

Thankfully My son and family returned to the UK in 2017 from Oregon. OK he is in Berwickshire but easier than over there. I have not bothered to renew my passport either. It is a bit like tempting fate when in remission. I have a sister in Cyprus and that is the only reason I have to renew it.

Thanks to All for your helpful comments. We are finally home! The 200 mile journey home took approximately 6hrs. The car ran reasonably ok on a very light throttle but under hard acceleration it would loose power and almost come to a halt. The same could be experienced if trying to hold a steady speed above 50mph. This was particularly noticeable going uphill. In the end we trundled along at 45mph and nursed her home. I guess this is where the gun will start. Feels like fuel starvation but will go through the basics first. The car also has a vibration from the underside above 45mph which I think could be propshaft -again further inspection required. Despite these initial concerns, we are delighted with the car and are looking forward to getting it sorted. No doubt I shall report back after inspecting the car In more detail. Cheers Pete.

Wow close run thing then😮 And yes you need to go through everything methodically as much to cross it off the list and know its right as anything else.

As for the problems you have identified the fueling sounds very much like a weak fuel pump where the little valves inside it dont seal well so fuel tends to go back and forth rather than a sufficient flow to the carb. However other things have to be discounted as they could produce similar symptoms. Also propshaft balance or UJ/sliding joint wear is a common cause of the type of vibration you have.

• Like 1

Early 60’s Dad had a Merc 300SE with mech fuel injection the elect fan cut in switch failed and the engine overheated the next day we did a run to my uncles at Stratford the car only ran well at a certain rev range not too slow nor fast when we got to Stratford my uncle knew the local Merc agent who immediately diagnosed a blocked fuel filter changed it and the car immediately ran well.

The agent said the. Lead had boiled out of the fuel blocking the filter which was the size of an oil filter.

• Like 1

Glad you got home OK.

The refusal to run at high speed / load sounds exactly like what my Vitesse did when it had a (dodgy) electric fuel pump. Putting it back to a proper, original spec, mechanical one fixed that. My Toledo also did the same when the pump filter gauze was blocked.

Vibration above 45mph does sound like a propshaft problem.

• Like 1

starvation on herald/vitesse  is commonly air sucked in at the short fuel hose on the tank outlet pipe in the boot above the reserve lever 

and suction tube outlet 

it is not seen and goes hard and you suck air but rarely leaks fuel due to its location worth a quick look.

be aware rubber slivers    nasty things  get cut by inserting metal pipe into fake rubber fuel hose  they breed like rabbits and flaot about blocking the back of the float needle jets

suggestions about propshaft are correct the telescopic slide wears terribly surprising as it doesnt move but can be reassuringly  awful !!!

damaged couplings over the years of on's and off's can end up not locating well due to the faces bruised and well worth a look before you go silly with the wallet 

a bit of work with a flat file can work wonders swapping UJ does not ensure you have it balanced 

bear in mind  with vibration   props run at engine speeds drive shafts run 4 times slower at wheel speed  so there is a marked difference in what is causing the vibro

a 4000 rpm  va varoom or   1000rpm  rumble grumble of a drive shaft UJ 

Pete

• Like 1

I agree with PeteL. My Vitesse was sucking air at the tank outlet exhibiting just what yours is doing. Also wrt the propshaft rumble. My 1600/6 did that at 42 mph and again at 84 mph. I tried to avoid those speeds. It lessened after a prop change then a bit less again after fitting an overdrive. Shorter prop, less throw at the sliding spline.

My 2.5 does not do it, or other noises hide it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

I agree with PeteL. My Vitesse was sucking air at the tank outlet exhibiting just what yours is doing. Also wrt the propshaft rumble. My 1600/6 did that at 42 mph and again at 84 mph. I tried to avoid those speeds. It lessened after a prop change then a bit less again after fitting an overdrive. Shorter prop, less throw at the sliding spline.

My 2.5 does not do it, or other noises hide it.

Wagger. Based upon PeteL and Your experience with the tank outlet hose -it will be my starting point I shall then systematically go through the suggestions that Everyone else have made. It will be a few days before I can start working on the car but I will give an update as I progress.

Removed the Propshaft today, looks like new U/J’s were fitted by the PO. I also noticed that the front to rear U/J’s were one spline out. Also looked like one of the balance weights had come adrift so took the assembly to Proptech in Kidderminster. Hoping this might cure the vibration 🤞

one spline out of phase will cause you grief   ( we had fun on truck assy getting 3 props in phase , we succeeded after getting the operator kicking and screaming to understand 

just how important this is )

Im sure  protech will sort it all ok 

the velocity of a UJ changes as its  angle alters getting out of phase makes it most  unhappy as the rotation become very unsteady 

lots of pictures on phasing  /problems phase propshaft - Search (bing.com)

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one spline out of phase will cause you grief   ( we had fun on truck assy getting 3 props in phase , we succeeded after getting the operator kicking and screaming to understand 

just how important this is )

Im sure  protech will sort it all ok 

the velocity of a UJ changes as its  angle alters getting out of phase makes it most  unhappy as the rotation become very unsteady 

lots of pictures on phasing  /problems phase propshaft - Search (bing.com)

Pete

Thank you Pete L. That’s very interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

I take it the splines are aligned now and did you get any feed back on what was wrong with the prop? Mine was bent and apparently thats not uncommon😲Out of interest whats the cost of balancing these days?

Edited by johny

8 minutes ago, johny said:

I take it the splines are aligned now and did you get any feed back on what was wrong with the prop? Mine was bent and apparently thats not uncommon😲Out of interest whats the cost of balancing these days?

Hi johny. The Propshaft was misaligned by 1 spline, the U/J’s were ok. I spoke to the engineer at Proptech, he said it looked like a balancing tab had come adrift/ been removed. He checked the alignment- which was also ok and balanced the shaft. Total cost £30. A BARGAIN !

• Like 2