Carburettors

David23

The heater hose is connected to a T-piece on the end of the inlet manifold which is the arrangement on the 1500 (and late MkIV?).  Earlier engines had the connection onto the rear of the cylinder head.  The throttle linkage is identical to that on my 1500.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2023 at 20:51, DanMi said:

of course it matters, It is fraud however you look at it

When 'Heritage' bodyshells became available for BMC Minis, many just cut out the numbered sections from the old shell and welded it into the new one. Bang goes originality. Was that fraud?

I once replaced a crankcase on my motorcycle that was destroyed by a snapped chain doubling over and wrecking the sump section with the engine number on it. The replacement was blank, so I stamped the original number onto it. In my paranoia, I smashed the old one into pieces and placed it in the ally reclaim bin at work. It seemed easier at the time (1969) than filling in forms for the registration authority. Probably still classed as fraud.

44 minutes ago, Wagger said:

When 'Heritage' bodyshells became available for BMC Minis, many just cut out the numbered sections from the old shell and welded it into the new one. Bang goes originality. Was that fraud?

I once replaced a crankcase on my motorcycle that was destroyed by a snapped chain doubling over and wrecking the sump section with the engine number on it. The replacement was blank, so I stamped the original number onto it. In my paranoia, I smashed the old one into pieces and placed it in the ally reclaim bin at work. It seemed easier at the time (1969) than filling in forms for the registration authority. Probably still classed as fraud.

It's an interesting argument. Back in the 1990s I brought in a donor car from Birmingham for one of my Heralds and it was complete but rotten, so while stored I set the plates of the other car on it while parked in my garage and the intended recipient was in bits and being restored. I was accused of making a ringer Herald by a Club member. To be honest anyone looking at the donor car would have known it was well beyond a simple plate swap. All I used was the roof and some of the glass and smaller chrome or trim parts... plus the remains of the donor car ended up in another Herald that actually saw the open road with a different Club member, but under the registration number of the Birmingham car.

However it seems to be a different scenario with Fords and Minis that are reshelled, they're accepted as the original car despite the new body. I know a few so-called 'original' rally cars which are in their third or fourth shell and still seen as the original genuine item.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 20:51, DanMi said:

of course it matters, It is fraud however you look at it

i agree but it went on a lot , you used to see 1972 v5 with chassis plate for sale all the time who knows how many classics are not quite what they should be a lot for sure paul

48 minutes ago, foshi said:

i agree but it went on a lot , you used to see 1972 v5 with chassis plate for sale all the time who knows how many classics are not quite what they should be a lot for sure paul

I have no problem with cars made up from parts so long as some of it relates. That car has a MK2 chassis early MK2 body tub, early mk2 doors MK2 bonnet MK2 boot lid Mk2 roof, Mk2 interior, nothing on the body is MK3, if the body tub came from a mk3, I would accept that it was made from parts 

and replacing entire shells with brand new is perfectly acceptable as is replacing motorcycle engine panels and restamping with the original engine number. What I really don't understand is why anyone would do such a good restoration whilst ignoring/faking the cars ID. It is not a case of triggers broom as if it was it would have body parts from various cars, it is pure 1965 MK2 (having looked at the extensive auction photos) maybe with a few later mechanicals eg engine. If that car was to be crashed any insurance assessor would refuse any payout.

On 24/02/2023 at 12:46, David23 said:

You ask what model it is?  Apparently, it is a Mkl chassis, with Mkll body components and with the main body number that of a MkIII !!

My opinion, for what it is worth, would be that it likely was re-shelled onto a good Mk1 chassis, when the original chassis either failed MOT big time OR had suffered damage sufficient to render the chassis beyond resorable?. Back when, it was a not uncommon thing combining the best of two vehicles to make one. It is likely that the then owner, did not even consider the future of the vehicle, or "provenance", merely sticking with the com; plate which is attached to the tub?. (Or is on the Herald).

Case in question?. Back in the early 80`s, My Son wanted a Morris minor. We "found" one in a garage, it having been the householders Husbands car, she was a non driver, for many years. It wanted a lot of work, and in the course of my work, I came acoss a later model stored in  the rear of a rural garage, did a deal, and towed it home, breaking it for spares on the rear driveway. We proceeded to graft all sorts of bits onto the older "splitty", bigger engine, doors and pretty much anything else that needed doing. The remaining bits went for scrap. NO ONE questioned what we had done. We could have "rung" the car, had we been so minded, but what we wanted was CHEAP spares, "provenance" was NEVER any consideration.

You have documentation, bill of sale and a V5?. I would not worry about it. As for insurers, my experience, having been in the insurance game, Is it would be unlikely that they would do more than check the documents and assess "repairability". rather than go looking for "rung" classic cars. Might happen IF it was valued in 6 or 7 figures, but at this level?????.

Pete

On 10/03/2023 at 13:43, 68vitesse said:

Seem to remember a Mini in Bangers and Cash so rotten it was on a pallet, went for good money the stated reason was the commission plate.

Regards

Paul

Was that the Cooper? If I remember it correctly they just reshelled it and used the Coopery bits. Nobody makes complete bodies for us any more. :(

we e coated and primed heritage body shells back in the 90s through the  truck E coat tank/paintshop ,in dunstable 

there were some TR6 shells (most were MG)  i could have won some for audit purposes but didnt know i was heading into classics at the time 

all long gone like so much loss of manufacturing in the uk  

Pete