London to Brighton Classic Car Run 2023

RichTeaBiscuit

On 10/03/2023 at 17:49, RichTeaBiscuit said:

RUN TICKETS | Pop Up (popupcarshows.co.uk)

I'm going this year (£125 for the privilege 😱), I've always been tempted as it passes outside my house.

Anyone else? Seems to be held simultaneously alongside "modern classics" and "kit & sports cars".  

Seems to be the way to make money these days, invite moderns so the owners can fool themselves they've got a classic car, and get the money from them. One local Facebook group I follow booted a member yesterday for complaining that their 'Vintage and Classic' shows are nothing but modern noisy cars, and to be honest he's right.

If they permit the London to Brighton to go ahead as a separate entity, with all the genuine classics together, and keep the more modern cars in their own group, it'll worth seeing. 

• Like 1

Trouble is time moves on and some of those young people think a 90s car can be a classic😲 I suppose its all relative and my grandad would have considered anything with an engine as modern!

Wait till electrics start showing up at shows, then there will be some huffing n puffing.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johny said:

Wait till electrics start showing up at shows, then there will be some huffing n puffing.....

Might not be THAT long; we've had modern Minis, Fiat 500s and the like, any kind of re-hash of an old classic by any manufacturer, turn up to many shows in the last years. In some cases it's Clubs with no cut-off date who attend with absolutely every member regardless of age of car owned, even brand new Minis, sometimes it's Dealers trying to find cheap advertising. Someone will no doubt arrive in an EV and expect us all to ooh-and-aah at the future.

20 hours ago, johny said:

Trouble is time moves on and some of those young people think a 90s car can be a classic😲 I suppose its all relative and my grandad would have considered anything with an engine as modern!

Confession time. At last years NEC my wife spent some time admiring an electrified car. I considered her actions as grounds for a divorce.

According to FB group, the events have the same start/finish but take different routes. So a bit better, I guess. 

Mrs just reminded me she is going to be 7 months pregnant at that point so may not fancy sitting in the Spitfire for that long 🙈

21 hours ago, johny said:

I have a Honda E so am part of a couple of FB groups. The other day someone posted how their [1 year old] car is clearly going to be a modern classic and a collectors item soon.

I did have a little chuckle to myself!

One of the Museums I have visited in the last ten years has a battery powered Renault Dauphine. 1950's car. Of course, there are some 1890's electric cars too. Similarly, I now see loads of retro motorcycles at meets, mainly because owners of the real old stuff have too many in boxes never to be rebuilt.

On 12/03/2023 at 10:42, johny said:

1990, 33years ago. Surely they can be classed as classics now. I always thought 20 years plus started to be classics. 🤷