Gt6 ignition barrel replacment

gt6j

Hi im after a bit of guidance on replacing the gt6 mk3 ignition barrel as the key won't go in the barrel anymore no matter what I try. Happened suddenly although has never been easy to get the key in it just don't go now.

The barrel is by the knee on gt6 mk3 and the steering lock is currently on. Is it a case of removing the column altogether or is there a simpler way to do this? I have ordered a replacement barrel and lock. Have had a search but can't find much info. 

most are held on the column by shear bolts these generally need to be drilled off to remove the lock assy 

wsm is abit vague    says pull back the cover witdraw switch  discon 5 terminals

refit  take care the lock keyway and switch are aligned for correct engagement 

all a bit   limited  clues   

Pete

• Thanks 1

Ditto as above but here's a 'photo to illustrate. The shear bolts (if present) are above the mast and can only really be extracted with the column removed.

A detail to take into account is whether the switch mechanims is held in the lock is held in place by a tiiiiiny little screw - some were some weren't. If it is, don't lose screw.

STEERING COLUMN.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cheers for help, I have a feeling will be column out as the steering lock is on and theres a immobiliser wired in spaghetti junction it looks like and then drilling off the shear bolts from the sound of it. The barrel or key has had it I think the switch is alright will take care on refitting and the screw if there.

Is column removal that a case of undoing the clamp inside the cabin near to the engine bay hole and just the other clamp bolts? Haven't taken one out before. Does dash above column stay in place for this. 

Steps as described in Haynes:

1. Disconnect battery earth.

2. Remove driver's side parcel shelf.

3. Unscrew and remove column-to-flexible coupling pinch bolt.

4. Remove nuts and spring washers from column forward retaining bracket.

5. Remove the forward support housing and felt liner.

6. Detach the horn, indicator and light wire connectors AND the ignition wiring plug to the steering lock.

7. Unscrew and remove the two cap screws which retain the column rear bracket. Withdraw the clamp halves and upper screwed plate.

8. Withdraw the column complete with the tie bar.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gt6j said:

Haven't taken one out before. Does dash above column stay in place for this. 

Yes, dash can stay in  place. The column assembly, once released, drops down and away from the dash panel.

If you're not done one before here's a few additional tips. Or to put it another way, mistakes I have made:

• Not marking the (or noting) the precise relative position of the coupling ('UJ') at the lower steering coupling (at rack) on disassembly; result disorientated self cancelling on the direction indicators

• On reassembly not doing up the pinch bolt on the collaspible portion of the lower column (allen key, v.tight) result is interetsing steering.

• On disassembly not noting the exact fitment of the torque (tie) bar ( the H-shaped thingy). Once separated it's not entirely self-evident how it fits.

• On reassembly not paying enough attention that the wiring up and around the column sits nicely without strain or pinching. Results include horn coming on unexpectedly.

Hope the works proceeds well.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou again for tips, very handy. Have managed to get er out and drilled off the bolts so I have it ready to put new one on.

Didn't have the tiny screw and the actual switch fell right off back of the barrel so new unit going in with the barrel and all. I took a couple pics so hoping can get it back to roughly the same, that lower pinch bolt was a squeeze! Fingers crossed.

also found a 35amp in line fuse and wire going from the battery to nowhere? All worked OK before, so assuming something related to immobiliser, made it safe for now.

Got column back in successfully and managed to fix the indicator cancel which wasn't working.

Cheers for help 👍 This seemed alot more daunting than it was in the end. Still swore alot in the footwell upside down, but much less than anticipated.

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Our cars have cancelling indicators?!?!

I always thought they stayed on to counter act BMWs not working EVER....:-D

Maybe this is why. My 2001 BMW had super self latching switches. No problems.

2005 on used those that you nudge for four flashes or push all the way for turning when they self cancel. There is a notorious fault which results in it not cancelling at all after a nudge. You nudge it 'tother way and it flashes 'tother side without cancelling and so on. Very annoying for the driver and those behind. I had to put Hazards on and leave at the next junction on one occasion when using a motorway.

Maybe some are scared to use them after an event such as that.

Many German cars use the same sources for electrics, so may not just be BMW's.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

Maybe this is why. My 2001 BMW had super self latching switches. No problems.

2005 on used those that you nudge for four flashes or push all the way for turning when they self cancel. There is a notorious fault which results in it not cancelling at all after a nudge. You nudge it 'tother way and it flashes 'tother side without cancelling and so on. Very annoying for the driver and those behind. I had to put Hazards on and leave at the next junction on one occasion when using a motorway.

Maybe some are scared to use them after an event such as that.

Many German cars use the same sources for electrics, so may not just be BMW's.

Many Germans would argue that Bavaria is not Germany...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Our cars have cancelling indicators?!?!

Little metalic spring arm that holds the indicator switch in left or right position on mine were too strong so the raised bit on the column couldn't flick the switch back off as it connected with it. Just slid them out and bent back a bit until it did. 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

i thought most had a lane change partial indication with  half flick of the stalk  

never had a repetitive cant stop it  with any of my cars   must be a BMW trait ???

Pete

That's exactly what is meant to do, but I'll bet that my neuropathy has de-sensitisted my touch and it is difficult to judge where the spring load changes on the stalk, so I over nudge on occasion. It's safer to go all the way and cancel it afterwards.