Intermittent momentary ignition cuts

Will Orum

Hi all,

I've just got my spitfire on the road, drives pretty good. Definitely a brilliant first car!

I've started getting an issue where the engine loses all power for a split second. Initially I thought it was me being too heavy on the clutch but it doesn't present itself the same. 

The best way I can describe it is the engine just loses spark for a couple rotations and jolts the car a bit when the spark comes back. 

It did it more severely yesterday, thankfully I was waiting at the lights, but I did notice that the tachometer went straight to 0 like the power had been switched off.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Is there an easy diagnosis or am I going to have to root around my ignition system and loom?

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will, 

Electrical? Check ignition wiring, engine earths. Check rotor for nasty riveted one, if riveted get a nice non riveted red one. Check distributor cover for cracks.  Could be fuel starvation, unlikely BOTH carbs, so further back, do you have a fuel filter? |Might be blocked. No fuel filter? Get a fuel filter!  Fuel pump not keeping up? I had sludge in the fuel line, from car standing for 20 years, doubt it's that, unless your car's been standing for 20 years. :lol:

Lots of instances of this on here worth a search for similar problems.

Good luck!

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

electronic rev counter so this is a 1500 spit??  

the fact that the tacho dies instantly is looking like a power loss which can be anywhere .check the terminal crimped wires are secure 

check the feeds to the coil, make sure the coil polarity is correct thats neg to dizzy pos to ignition feed   this will also have a ballasted coil unless its been modified 

so you should have a 1.5 ohm  6v coil with a boosted  12v feed from the solenoid when cranking 

if the ballast has been bypassed it needs a 3 ohm coil  or you overload the points and condenser

maybe fit a temp test small bulb on the coil feed see if it goes dead when it hicups 

this sort of problem can get you chasing your tail a bit 

i take it you are on points in the dizzy ??     condensers can be rubbish and check the small braided wire that earths the base plate is not fractured 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

As Pete says,  the rev counter at zero strongly suggests it's a low tension ignition problem.  It could be loss of supply (dodgy switch or connector somewhere) or it could be the points/EI module.

As a curve ball, I had a VW Passat that suffered the same symptoms,  which turned out to be the loom rubbing on the engine earth strap. Whenever the bit that had worn through the insulation made contact,  it shorted the pickup (or points) and killed the spark.

It seems I accidentally fixed it yesterday. Drove the car in to work in the morning, the issue was there, juddering me along. 

Showed one of the guys at lunch to see if he had any ideas, I ended up taking a spade off the coil and placing it back on (to demonstrate that the insulation had broken down right next to the connector)

Didn't think too much about it until I drove home without a hitch, I even went to the shops too. 

I've since repaired and re-spaded the wire and cleaned up the contacts on the coil. 

I'll let you know if it actually fixed it when I drive it tomorrow!

17 minutes ago, Iain T said:

It still counts as a fix even if it was accidental! I did say to try the coil spade as it was the cause of my non starter. 

Iain 

Not sure how I didn't see your comment before. Would've saved me a bit of a headache!

I'll let you have the kudos for this one

@Will Orum I’ve had a similar problems and replacing the low tension wire from the negative of the coil to the dizzy seemed to fix things.

I say that because I replaced so much other stuff I don’t know which one fixed it 🤣🤣🤣

Only takes one small miss connection for this engine to mis-fire 😩😩

Been having a similar problem with my Vitesse fitted with lumination electronic ignition, started to misfire after it warmed up. Ended up disconnecting the electronic ignition and fitted a spare distributer complete with ancient leads, cap, points, condenser and rotor arm with rivet. No sign of misfire since, will have to try the cap, leads and red rotor arm from other distributer to isolate the problem at some point.

Regards

Paul

Edited by 68vitesse

Been having a similar problem with my Vitesse fitted with lumination electronic ignition,

I had a similar issue with lumention optronic ignition. It turned out to be a faulty Power Module, so in disconnecting the Lumenition you may have isolated the problem.

Wayne 

On 03/05/2023 at 08:06, johny said:

Thing is people only post when they have a problem and then you never know if its self inflicted or even misdiagnosed☹️

Yeah I’ve been wondering the same. I’ve had electronic ignition in my Herald for 15 years, just chucked in whatever module the TSSC shop were selling in 2007 and never touched it since! So it’s been surprising to read of so many faults. Though as you say the people who don’t have problems won’t be posting.

This morning put the Vitesse back to how it was when the problem started with the exception of distributer cap and leads and despite some fast driving on the NDR of about ten miles car did not miss a beat. A more logical diagnostic approach would have got me to this point sooner, just need a longer run to convince myself.

Regards

Paul