Fuel Starvation stopped my 13/60 today

Sue Franklin

Fuel starvation issue with my 13/60.  Slight hesitation a couple of weeks ago then picked up and ran home OK.  Nothing found. Not so today. 8 miles from home on dual carriageway started to die. Left main road thankfully before she died completely.  Filled up, she was on about a quarter tank, then got progressively worse.  No fuel to fuel pump.  Guess blockage in tank.  Got going again by blowing it through but guess now it is tank out?

20230604_100635.jpg

Sue, Bad luck, but it happens.  I know the orientation is different but I had an issue with the GT6 and fuel supply that kept getting worse.  Peering in to the tank I could see something that did not look right and managed to hook out a piece of plastic about an inch square that was floating about.  Assume it was something stuck a fuel filling nozzle or ....

Dick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sue Franklin said:

Fuel starvation issue with my 13/60.  Slight hesitation a couple of weeks ago then picked up and ran home OK.  Nothing found. Not so today. 8 miles from home on dual carriageway started to die. Left main road thankfully before she died completely.  Filled up, she was on about a quarter tank, then got progressively worse.  No fuel to fuel pump.  Guess blockage in tank.  Got going again by blowing it through but guess now it is tank out?

You might do it through the fuel level sender hole. If low enough you can whip it out and have a look - the view is quite good....

• Like 1

Could be the dread rubber slivers blocking the carb inlet valves? Tiny scraps of rubber detach from inside the hose and wedge in the valves. I've also had a bit of rubber hose collapse internally and turn into a one way valve, sadly in the wrong direction.  

And when I got my GT6 back on the road, I found a pink sludge deposit in the tank. This had worked it's way into the pipeline, it would move about, sometimes it blocked, sometimes it didn't. I dyno rodded it out with nylon strimmer cord. However I'd start with the carbs and rubber hose.

Good luck!

Doug 

• Like 1

Sue   do check the short hose on the top of the tank where  the outlet hides these go hard and such air and you start to die at random runs 

its very common this short hose let you fail   

and the dreaded slivers will bread like rabbits  and they float and jam up the back pf the float valve 

• Like 2

Hi Sue,

I had 2 instances of this on my 13/60 at separate times. First when i got it back on the road after 30 years in a garage with the previous owner. It died on one of the first drives out, no fuel in the carbs, I took the pipe off and blew down it which cleared it. It kept happening so i had to remove the tank, It was crusty inside and floating debris was blocking the pickup intermittently. I cleaned it out as best I could and then used tank sealer which you pour in and slosh around and leave for 4 days to cure. It`s been fine for 9 years so far.

Second time was misfiring under load, this turned out to be failing rubber pipes sucking in air. Now replaced with Gates Barricade.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johny said:

But it was cured temporarily by blowing back through tank so have to be a big bit of rubber😂

Rust flakes, maybe. A good filter in the fuel line may help keep them out, but if it's the tank pickup itself inside the tank then either siphon out the lower areas of the tank through the sender hole, or remove the tank and wash out well. 

• Like 1

I posted a while back how I sorted my fuel problems and cannot find it now. However, I had tank residue sucked into the line when running on 'Reserve' and this caused problems in the pump and carburetters.

I replaced all of the pipes and cleaned everything through and used an electric pump with a filter attached in the boot to force fuel through to the carburetters. That found some leaks at pipe junctions not tightened enough. I now run with a filter in the boot at the tank outlet and check it regularly. I do not use reserve unless I have to as that results in sucking fine rust into the filter.

If air gets in at the tank outlet, you will get fuel starvation. I have in the past left an electric pump in the line at the tank end and used it for priming in conjunction with a switch. The mechanical pump can draw through the non return valve in the electric one. It was very useful for diagnosing leaks and debri in the carb float valves.

Edited by Wagger
  • Like 1