Replacement tyres

Mashby

Hi,

I have to replace my tyres on my Herald 13/60.  They are 145/80 R13 and they have tubes which will also need replacing. Any suggestions for companies that supply and fit (preferably on the drive)?

I’ve seen that longstone supply but I would still need them fitting.

Also as a matter of interest, how can you tell if your wheels need tubes? My first Herald, many years ago I’m sure had none and it was an older model than the one I have now 

Many thanks in advance

Steel rims of that era don't normally require tubes. I've fitted Falken tyres ordered via Blacklines website. You pick the tyre and fitter then they supply the tyres to the fitter. Very slick, easy and I found good price. 

Iain 

• Confused 1

Thanks Iain and Dick, is that Blackcircles or are Blacklines a different company?

Also re the tubes, I didn’t think they needed them, but they were fitted so I’m unsure. Is there any definite way of telling?

Edited by Mashby

You might want to read this about fitting tubeless tyres with tubes https://www.bigtyres.co.uk/blog/fitting-tubes-in-tubeless-tyres.html

All tyres are date marked, when I bought a set for my Vitesse the other year I made sure they where under a year old, uncommon sizes can hang around in stock.

Perhaps tubes where fitted because corroded rims didn't let the tyre seal.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mashby said:

Also as a matter of interest, how can you tell if your wheels need tubes? My first Herald, many years ago I’m sure had none and it was an older model than the one I have now 

Tubeless tyres have a different bead profile compared to tubed. It’s designed to not unseat at low inflation pressures / leaking.

A matching tubeless wheel, once known as a safety rim, also has a modified profile around the bead area. It’s quite visible as a 2-3mm lip for approx 20mm away from the edges. 

On 17/06/2023 at 06:36, Dick Twitchen said:

Quite clearly the heat is having an effect; Blackcircles it is.

Dick

Worth checking out/price comparing with mytyres.co.uk.  I've used them happily in the past and generally found them to be cheaper than Blackcircles for the same tyre.

10 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I thought Blackcircles Priced to have the tyres Fitted/Ballanced?.

Yes they do. You just pick the nearest fitters when ordering the tyre(s). You can also include balancing etc on the order. 

Iain 

• Like 1