Vitesse 1600/6 - Alternator Conversion Kit

martyn wright

Hi!  I am now looking to change my Dynamo over to a Alternator! I have looked thro "Rimmers" (Too Expensive) "Canleys and James Paddocks"  Is the any other online Stores etc I can look?  I was looking at a 65Amp as I want to fit a Cassette/Radio, plus Fog and Reversing Lamps?  Would this do the job? or a 18ACR 45Amp?

Edited by martyn wright

The principal advantage of changing to an alternator isnt really the increase of the maximum output available as its unusual in a classic to install much extra demand (think heated screens and steering wheels, electric mirrors, seats and steering) but the power that can be generated at low revs. Especially if any extra lighting is LED 40amp will be plenty so why carry the unnecessary weight of anything bigger? 

18 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Would in that case a Conversion kit fit all Alternators? And if only need say a 45Amp Unit then its not worth forking out extra if Im not going to use it!

Exactly plus the higher the alternator rating the bigger the wiring you have to put in just in case of the maximum current demand (for example supplying a discharged battery).

I doubt any conversion kit is going to fit all alternators as they come in a myriad of different shapes however the Denso installation Paul did would be my preferred option....

7 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Okay!  That sounds good!   Watch this space  Thanks All!

You might not get a plug with your Denso . I’ve got a spare if needed . For some reason I was supplied with 2 plugs 

Paul 

7 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi Paul!  there is one on for £81 and the other £91?  The first states Not for a 1600/6 Vitesse?

The Denso 16404 is designed to fit a Kubuto Digger !!! hence the small size and low output . So long as  you get the correct model you will be ok . I have a mark 2 Vitesse so can’t see why it won’t fit a 1600 . The Dynamo I replaced was a C40L 

Good luck 

Paul 

Nb I paid £81 from memory just over a year ago so you are getting a good price 

I used the original dymno bracket too but lightened it with extra holes? as it was a heavy unit all ok but I fitted a new Lucas 15ACR brought very cheap off local eBay chap brought it for his Lotus but had wrong mounting flange! 
The daughters Mk2 Spit has a locally made NOS Lucas 15ACR for a Holden it’s a lot smaller sized unit compared to the UK Lucas variant brought very very cheap whilst on holiday in Tassie at a bric n brack shop $15  still going strong after 23 years on that I used the std cast ironTriumph Alt bracket which I had.

Edited by Peter Truman

Hello All

I converted to a Denso Alternator on our Spitfire 1500 and Mk1 Vitesse 

I went for the 45amp I think they are and you can get at No1 plug now 

Plus the other reason is we tour in Spain etc and I could get one anywhere if needed!

Roger

DSC09196.JPG