Steering rack movement

There is some adjustment in the u clamps and as the rubber bushes wear it would be worth carrying out the procedure as described in the manual. Of course rubber is always going to allow some movement and thats why solid aluminium replacements are sold for those drivers that want a more positive feel...

and many alloy clamps do not get anywhere near the rack locating plates  they are too thin and rely fully of clamping the tube 

the small anti rattle plug is located under the n/s rubber mount,  fit a thin alloy mount  and the plug drops out the tube  hence the idea of a jubbly clip to retain it 

or you get rack rattle on poor road surfaces 

Pete

i think poly are the best compromise and from what ive seen are sized as the originals so rack is firmer and the rack retention plates are in contact and the poly bush holds /covers the anti rattle plug 

(as long as its not missing )   on the n/s of the tube      whats not to like 

Pete 

I'd agree with poly; I have three or four sets of alloy clamps that I've removed from cars and gone to poly. The alloy can actually let the tube slide about if worn but if good bushes are fitted and pressed outwards during fitting as the manual recommends, there should be no movement. (or very slight if soft rubber)

I have a solid mounted rack and am finding a lot of vibration at the steering wheel. I kept the original steering column joint as I thought a UJ would transfer even more noise and vibration. Of the various colours and hardness is the 'comfort' blue grade OK. To be honest I would probably buy from Chris Witor as his products are generally first rate. 

Iain 

PS, I'll look and see where/if I have the anti rattle pin!

51 minutes ago, DanMi said:

have the solid rack mounts from Moss, which do contact the retention plates. I have no problem with vibrations,

Mmmm, it may be my column bushes are worn? How difficult are they to replace?

More investigations required. 

Iain 

Found this from Ahebron who was rebuilding a rack:-

"took the rack out drilled the anti rattle hole which is 1/4", made a anti rattle pin which is 1/4" dia by 3/16 long (dimensions supplied form Triumphexp)."

Is it a dowel pin or can it be soft non hardened steel?

Moss Quote NCA (not currently available?) 

Iain 

35 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Mmmm, it may be my column bushes are worn? How difficult are they to replace?

More investigations required. 

Iain 

Dont remember it being a nice job but then I probably didnt have the right technique. They dont seem to last five minutes and I see they now do rather expensive poly bushes...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Found this from Ahebron who was rebuilding a rack:-

"took the rack out drilled the anti rattle hole which is 1/4", made a anti rattle pin which is 1/4" dia by 3/16 long (dimensions supplied form Triumphexp)."

Is it a dowel pin or can it be soft non hardened steel?

Moss Quote NCA (not currently available?) 

Iain 

Totally lost on this one as Petes 128001 shows as a collar on the pinion at Canleys. Is it 145108 Nylon plug which they do have in stock but which strangely doesnt appear in many of the steering rack diagrams of the various models? I looked for this on a Vitesse rack many years ago and couldnt find it so presumed it was internal and got a complete recon one instead...

35 minutes ago, johny said:

Totally lost on this one as Petes 128001 shows as a collar on the pinion at Canleys. Is it 145108 Nylon plug which they do have in stock but which strangely doesnt appear in many of the steering rack diagrams of the various models? I looked for this on a Vitesse rack many years ago and couldnt find it so presumed it was internal and got a complete recon one instead...

Yes I think 128001 is a collar not the pin. The nylon plug is just that it's the pin that may be missing but I'll have to take a look first. 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, johny said:

dont think there is a pin and its the nylon plug that is the damper to stop rattle from the rack shaft. Looks like it just taps in a hole in the outer case and is held in place by the rack mount...

Aah mystery solved. However I believe not all racks have it or at least exposed.