GT6 Mk3 Roof Edge Finisher

Stratton Jimmer

HI folks,

It has been suggested to me that the roof edge finisher on the Mk3 GT6 is not necessary and that removing it can eliminate a water trap so preventing potential corrosion. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The part number is 814628. Hopefully this image from Rimmer's will indicate it.GRID008147.jpg.38dd2c4fc9082e41ac1834142799aa7a.jpg

We have a couple of GT6s at East Berks without the front roof trim.  One has been completely de-seamed even the rear wheel arches. A very professional job.  Under the original front roof trim it's spot welded all the way across so filler is needed to smooth it out. This became a water trap on the second car and it had to be re-done with more filler. Good as the first one is it does look, to me, odd. Not quite a GT6. Strange how a small difference can catch the eye.

Here's a vid of a guy repairing the roof, he puts a new trim piece back on.

Doug

I'm not convinced simply removing the lip finisher will make a lot of difference corrosion-wise. The cause is generally condensation on the underside of the roof panel running forward and becoming trapped between the roof and screen surround. That junction remains the weakness / water trap in the few 'de-seamed' solutions I've seen.

As Doug says, it's amazing how much difference such a minor change makes to the GT6 shape.

Gully 

21 minutes ago, Gully said:

I'm not convinced simply removing the lip finisher will make a lot of difference corrosion-wise. The cause is generally condensation on the underside of the roof panel running forward and becoming trapped between the roof and screen surround. That junction remains the weakness / water trap in the few 'de-seamed' solutions I've seen.

As Doug says, it's amazing how much difference such a minor change makes to the GT6 shape.

Gully 

I agree with you, done mine a while ago and the corrosion was from the inside. Condensation. 

2 hours ago, Gully said:

Gully 

That's also my experience. The leading edge of the roof rusts from the inside outwards due to condensation.

If the trim strip on the seam is fitted well (paint first, then quality sealer), it won't be the first point to rust.

Nigel

37 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Thank you one and all, I will stick with my original set up. I did find it interesting that the cause for rust may be condensation on the inside of the roof panel. I don't fancy removing the head lining to look though.

Remove the rear view mirror and the sun visor brackets and squirt loads of Waxoyl or Dinitrol in through the screw holes. It should settle at the lower areas of the front roof panels and neutralise rust whilst preventing worse.

• Like 2