Seized cylinder head studs removal

Roger

22 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

My 68 Vitesse has never had it's head removed, original Triumph install on assembly line, what's my chances??? Compression test good at around 165psi and oil pressure over 90 at start up and just under 70 running even on a very hot day,

Definitely, a clear case for "If it`s not broke don`t fix it"👍. Just wish they would tell that to software engineers☹️. IoS.17.1.2 now waiting upload, "When it`s plugged in charging and not being used". So more skipping through silly messages tomorow then!🙄

Pete

16 hours ago, PeteH said:

Just wish they would tell that to software engineers☹️. IoS.17.1.2 now waiting upload, "When it`s plugged in charging and not being used". So more skipping through silly messages tomorow then!🙄

Pete

Here's hoping cars never get to that state. "We updated your software to 3.2.1.... this addresses the  "Directions for avoidance system if one-eyed high-heeled wearing drunk walks out in front of you and swears in Kazak" problem that was highlighted in the last update."

When I was at work, I had a PC on my desk.  Not that I used it much, but one day it wouldn't do what I wanted, so I rang IT.

They said, "Turn it off at the wall, then back on again."

I told them that was page one, line one of the computer call centre script for ordinary buyers who had forgotten to plug the computer  in.

They said, no, no, it does work!  And it did!!

John

19 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Here's hoping cars never get to that state. "We updated your software to 3.2.1.... this addresses the  "Directions for avoidance system if one-eyed high-heeled wearing drunk walks out in front of you and swears in Kazak" problem that was highlighted in the last update."

our 2020 Golf GTE all ready does this, "dont use me while I download an update", but the software has been so buggy its needed all the updates it can get!

In the end I forgot to plug it in, but surprisingly?" it still updated, used roughly 10% of the battery charge. But I still have no idea what, if any, was the issue?🙄 SWMBO`s Nissan has a tendency to "update". I`ve been trying to work out HOW.??? As far as I am aware there is only the "Sat Nav" connected outside of the car. Unless it`s done via the "button you must not press", which apparently is to call/track for the paramedics/plod in an emergency. Any clues?.

Pete

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Interesting Reading, Especially this:- with regard to Hacking.

OTA update in the automotive sector has major challenges in terms of security while updating the software over the air. If the attackers get control of the vehicle, one might end up in a hazard situation.

• Engine transmission can be turned on/off
  • Passengers or the drivers can be locked inside the car
  • Blowing the horn continuously
  • Controlling the steering system
  • Car braking system
  • Speeding the car beyond road regulation.
  • Controlling the navigation, audio or infotainment system
  • False alarm in the cockpit

That could be "fun" (Not) in the wrong hands? Best stick to the Triumph?

Pete

Not even a hack, get ready for when the powers that be decide to restrict speed or control any of the above. Sinister?...it`s coming.

My neighbour has an MG electric thing (Chinese), he says they are now the UK`s most popular EV.I work in the tech sector and can already see the changes.

S

Will be easy to control speed of cars and limit them to the speed limits of the road, simply link the car controls to Google maps. My stat nav is always telling me I am over the speed limit when the road limit changes.

We will be glad of our cars controlled by humans, even if we are an old version.

Graham

Just discussing similar with my son, He lives in Texas and was telling me about his daughters Subaru. Aparently my grandaughter can set her car so that it "follows" the car in front if the car in front slows, hers does when it speeds up, hers does up to the set to the posted road speed, you get the idea?. As she has an occasional 9 hour+ "commute" to college she uses this fact to take the "strain" out of a long and boring journey. Bright kid, studying IT amongst other subjects, but will she ever learn to "drive"??. There was allegedly the Tesla driver who fell asleep on the highway, lane guidance and  speed/proximity sensing on, the traffic cops stopped him only by getting in front and by slowing their vehicle very slowly allowing his car to automaticaly brake down to a halt, because the lane guidance system was on the car did not try to move out of the lane, when stopped the driver was STILL fast asleep. To old dinasours like me that is scarey.

Pete

Interesting thread drift here Gentlemen 🙂 I just thought I would add how I removed the two remaing studs from the engine block after the cylinder head was removed. The stud that I cut of only had 2-3 mm left above the block. I welded a square washer to the stud and then a nut on top of the washer. The washer was actually thicker than the stud part above the block, so failure was not an option here, there would not be anything left to weld onto if the stud broke one more time. The stud was easy to remove after welding, the main problem is the rust between the stud and the cylinder head, so once the head is removed the situation improves a lot. For the long one in the corner I did not even had to weld the nut on, I just removed it by turning the square washer with a wrench. I did not take any pictures of the welds, fortunately, they looked awful. My welding helmet apparently has a battery that is charged by light and it does not work properly. I weld with my eyes closed, have to get a new helmet.

DSC01385.JPG

DSC01388.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

Thank you Roger!

A most ingenious method!   I will retain that in long term memory, just in case!

John

PS. I notice several welding spatter marks in the number 2 & 3 bores, but you will be doing a hone, if not a rebore, so no matter.    But worth covering the block face when doing this job?  J.

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

worth covering the block face when doing this job?

Definitely! I was so eager to get those studs off the block that I completely forgot that. I did not even notice that. I also have some spray that will prevent this thing from happening, I should at least have used that. Yes, as you mention it will be rebored so hopefully no damage done. If I can use the block, but it looks promising so far.