Brake Servo ?

Straightsix

So do we now know the answer to "dodgy" knees? (the other post?) needing refurbishment?. ie; the lack of Servo assist on small chassis Triumph`s. could there be a case for a "class action"? do we know who to sue?🤣

Pete

Sadly late GT6 mk3 has servo as standard, so no to small chassis discrimination!

Did I mention that already?

Wonderful thing Alzheimer's, everyday so many new friends!

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

Yes, my car has the large diameter master cylinder. Best for you to retain the servo I guess. Two years ago the serpentine belt failed on my modern. I managed three miles to home with heavy steering and poor brakes. Plus the battery was discharging at some 25 amps driving the fuel pumps etc.

18 hours ago, Iain T said:

Having driven autos for many years what I don't like is the small brake pedal!

Not so much that for me, although I do drive with no shoes on or slip on beach shoes, I find the proximity of the throttle to the brake pedal worse.

Maybe it`s just my size 12`s.

No servo on my 2.5 Vitesse and with properly working and setup brakes, with Mintex 1144 pads I find the brakes pretty good.

• Like 1

Ive gone for something like this 3/4" bore:

Clutch Master Cylinder For Land Rover Defender 300tdi Td5 & Series 3 STC500100 | eBay

Theyre available in different makes and prices and Ive fitted a reservoir extender but they also come reservoirless so you can fit one of the larger plastic ones...

Tightens up the pedal but perhaps needs a little more effort so would go great with a servo🤔

• Thanks 1

I fitted an after market "upgraded " master cylinder to my 13/60, it made it much worse needing more leg.

Now fitted an original Vitesse cylinder and 4 pot callipers which is a 100% improvement on the type 14`s.

S

A larger bore displaces more fluid but at less pressure. Don't we need a smaller diameter to reduce pedal force? However it would result in more pedal stroke to displace enough fluid. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

While searching for the cause of my new servo not working I suspected the MC and replaced it with a spare which had a smaller bore, just 1/4" less. This increased the stroke by 2" and couldn't be improved by extensive bleeding. I put the old one back. 

Turned out the servo internals had been incorrectly/poorly assembled. I took it apart, cleaned it up and reassembled. Now it has an external one way valve as well as an internal, just to make sure. Chinese junk. :angry:

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

While searching for the cause of my new servo not working I suspected the MC and replaced it with a spare which had a smaller bore, just 1/4" less. This increased the stroke by 2" and couldn't be improved by extensive bleeding. I put the old one back. 

Good to know that pedal stroke is excessive. I take it even with the correctly assembled MC the stroke wouldn't have improved as its purely due to moving a volume of fluid. 

Iain 

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

A larger bore displaces more fluid but at less pressure. Don't we need a smaller diameter to reduce pedal force? However it would result in more pedal stroke to displace enough fluid. 

Iain 

Yes luckily my legs are ok so pressure not a problem (yet) and I love the reduced travel. NOS asbestos pads a great help as well...

1 hour ago, johny said:

Yes luckily my legs are ok so pressure not a problem (yet) and I love the reduced travel. NOS asbestos pads a great help as well...

I'll check to see what diameter MC the PO had fitted. I have Mintex 1144 pads. With less travel I might not hit the accelerator ar much! 

Iain 

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

try wearing stilettos    great space savers  

by the way  Ive not tried them 

In the early 70s I had platform shoes. They were from Ravels as my first wife used to work there. Not easy to drive in my Spitfire 1500

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

In no stretch of imagination could you call my jiggin' up and down dancing🕺. Anyway you couldn't see my shoes over the flared trousers! In big Oxford bags I would dance away and the trousers never moved... 

Thankfully no photos survive! 

Iain 

9 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

I regularly drive my Vitesse while wearing size 12 walking boots, don't think a larger brake pedal would be a good idea.

Regards

Paul.

You`ve done well. I tried moving my 13/60 wearing size 9 Rigger Boots, and nearly ran it into the bench in the garage!. Went for the brake and got acclerator first.

Someone posted?, about fitting the drop down accelerator (Spitfire?) to a Herald, don`t know if that would give increased clearance?.

Pete