Vitesse 2 Litre Clutch Stuck

Hi all, 

My father has a Triumph Vitesse 2 Litre. It's been sat for a while unfortunately due to ill health and I'm hoping to get it back on the road. 

I went over at the weekend and ran a few tests, got the engine turning over, all the brakes are free, even got the engine running which was great!

However, when trying to move the car the clutch was rock hard. The pedal is loose and linkage is free up to the master cylinder, I even loosened the union at the master and pumped the pedal to test whether it was the master cylinder or slave/clutch stuck. Unfortunately, the pedal didn't move with the loose union so I can only conclude the master cylnder has corroded and siezed. 

For you knowledgable folk out there, is there a trick to potentially free the master cylinder - even if it's just enough to move the car a few meters onto the driveway -  or will it be a full strip/rebuild of the clutch master?

Thanks in advance!

Heres the drawing from the manual so its very likely the piston has rusted at the front end of the master cylinder so jamming it in the bore. All I can suggest is brute force to break it free by removing the operating rod and tapping the piston with something. Obviously the hydraulic side will have to be disconnected at same time and theres a risk the rusty piston will terminally damage the bore but a new master cylinder isnt expensive...image.png.0afcf12468c493f47fa9707191262735.png

• Like 1

Sorry, Daz, no!

There are ways to free a 'frozen clutch', where the disused clutch plate has rusted to the flywheel, but it sounds as if your master cylinder has seized.

If it's that seized, then a rebuild may require sleeving to restore a smooth enough bore,  that will cost more than a new one.  See: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID007803

John

PS Johny, among the 2001 uses of WD40, that of penetrating oil is  not one of them! Daz might try with a properly designed product.   I've had success (not with brake cylinders) with Innotec Deblock X5.

Edited by JohnD

As JohnD said, it could be the clutch rusted onto the flywheel  but as he says it sounds like your master cylinder is seized.

Many years ago, my boss at the time had a V12 E type which had the clutch seized onto the flywheel.

I had the great pleasure of freeing it off by starting the car in gear, keeping the clutch fully depressed and stomping up and down on the throttle.

It was on a secluded  cobbled street in Bristol. (Near Redcliffe street).

The wheels were spinning up until the clutch freed and the rev counter hit its limit……. That was great fun for a chap in his late 20’s at the time 😊.

Best of all, he gave me a tip for doing it!

The clutch plate may also be stuck but the first problem is a seized master cylinder. I very much doubt that even if it could be freed it would hold fluid and the slave will likely be knackered as well. I would just get a load of friends around and push it. Then get new cylinders

I suspect the plate might be stuck also, but we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Unfortunately friends are few where they are so not really an option I'm afraid.

Would applying a bit of heat to the cylinder help? Not open flame, but heat gun perhaps, just to warm it up and allow for a little wiggle room.

Edited by dazmatic

40 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Heat?  If there is one fluid MORE inflammable than petrol, it's brake fluid.

Hence why I say no open flame. I'm not looking to cook the cylinder, merely warm it up and allow for some expansion, presumably it's aluminium cylinder? 

If you get the MC sorted and the clutch is still stuck, then heat works, just the heat from an engine. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, VERY securely chock the front wheels, and start the engine. Let it run until well warmed up. This freed up my 13/60 clutch last year in no time; probably a combination of heat and vibration.

I would just take the cap and pushrod off, spray it with your lubricant of choice and leave for an hour,  and then whack the piston with a suitable drift, it`s probably knackered but may work. Boiling water on it may aid movement before you whack it.

S

The "jack up the rear and let it run in gear until it let's go" does work, but an axle stand that is not absolutely stable could catapult you into the back wall/garage door (choose disaster of taste).

If possible, a safer solution is a tow start in gear, followed by driving about with your foot on the clutch.   The opposing forces of rolling resistance and engine will very soon release the clutch, so be ready to unthrottle ASAP.

John

10 hours ago, dazmatic said:

I suspect the plate might be stuck also, but we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Unfortunately friends are few where they are so not really an option I'm afraid.

Would applying a bit of heat to the cylinder help? Not open flame, but heat gun perhaps, just to warm it up and allow for a little wiggle room.

`Er indoors Hair dryer?. and a good smack with a hammer and non ferrous punch.

Pete

disc seized .  just use engine heat and give it a sharp take off  

you can engage gears with engine off then crank it up with no walls or ditches about 

get ready to turn it off , gears will select if you balance the revs and use a firm selection .

can be good fun for the blood pressure  ha!

{Pete

18 hours ago, dazmatic said:

presumably DOT5 would be better?

Yup, very much better. 

You can get a DOT3/4 tester on FleaBay for £5. Uncle Pete has one, he lines up the H & B faithful and tests them on club night, charges £1 a go.

Brake Fluid Tester Pen with 5 LED Indicators Hydraulic Liquid Moisture Analyzer | eBay

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6