Quarterlight Latch Locking Mechanism

Colin

Dear Chaps;

My driver door quarter-light latch no longer click-locks.

I can see the press-fit securing pin that is holding the lever on the unit (inside the lever where I reckon the problem is - probably a dog-leg tooth worn at the edges or summat, needing filing sharp again . . . ?

But do you think I can punch it out to investigate??

Not a hope. 

I've tried punching it out in both directions but to date . . . zippo.

Does anyone have a fool-proof method for me please? 

Cheers,

Colin.

13-02-24 O:S Quarterlight Latch 2.jpg

Thanks Pete,

Pretty much as I expected. Would be nice to keep the pin intact - will never find another one like it!! 

Have you ever had one apart?? Am I right about a worn tooth lock inside (or similar)?? 

Cheers, C

think youre on the right track  its years since i played with one 

having twiddled many over the years on trucks and cars 

i remember leaping out of a commer maxiload on test and my ring got hooked on one of these latches , nearly tore my finger off as ground and NDV were at a good streteeech !!!

Pete

It looks like a roll pin ie not a complete circle of spring steel with a hole thro it, maybe some penetrating oil and the right sized drift.

I have successfully drilled roll pins out when its been a blind hole, but from memory you can see both ends of that pin. 

Go easy - the plate it's mounted on can fracture where it 90 degrees folds around the bottom of the quarterlight and then you're in search of a hens teeth replacement - and all to get a click...

Gully

I had the same on my drivers door. No click / lock. It's the barrel bit with the ears worn causing  it. I just put it back together. Doubt I'd find a replacement unless I make one. Seemed too much trouble to get it to click.

Danny

Thanks, Ed et al,

Really good to look at:-

I've never taken one apart!

So, looking at the pices, I'm not really sure which bit of those parts has given out?? 

Any guidance please?? A close-up, maybe, now I know about the full component list??

Many, many thanks everyone! 

Best, C

Cheers Ed. The spring shown in the photo looks pretty heavy duty. Ball point springs are pretty weedy generally, aren't they?? Useful info, though. How could you tell it was duff? Was it deformed, truncated or just clearly very weak? 

Best, C.