Badge Position?

PeteH

10 hours ago, Pdv said:

Hi Pete,

Can measure the position tomorrow. 

If it is a 1360 there should be two holes in the right place. I assume as you are asking that this is not the case. 

No Holes, but I understand that `71 seems to have been a "cut off" year when they stopped fitting them?. Current info would apear to be they are in line with the chrome trim, and about half way between the Filling cap and the Tail light, with the driver side a similar distance?.

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

Weren't they only fitted to convertibles?

C-V`s and Coupe`s Only, so I am told?. "Plum" is a C-V.

Pete

Beware, if you are using 'new' flags you may find that the pin spacing is closer due to the copy casting process.

Also, I have noticed that they are often enamelled aftter chrome plating, so that the enamel doesn't bond very well/

C.

Edited by Casper

51 minutes ago, Casper said:

Beware, if you are using 'new' flags you may find that the pin spacing is closer due to the copy casting process.

Also, I have noticed that they are often enamelled aftter chrome plating, so that the enamel doesn't bond very well/

C.

In My case these are recovered O/E ones, but I have no holes so out out with the drill🤔

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

13769377_1740991922856671_6815040805387889649_n.thumb.jpg.0de3ec7247f237f6a96e5437268a7e90.jpgStock photo of my car, if you need more detail I'll get a photo with ruler

I think I have the idea, It`s where I suspected they where so this mornings job👍

Hi Pete,

I measured it today and in thr picture from Chris A you will see that although hidden by the flags the holes line up with the trim and the hole nearest the end of the wing is 2 and a 1/4 inches from the end of the fin, this was measured with the V trim taken off.

Hope this helps.

If my memory serves me right the1360 was not the only car to have them I think the 948 had them.

Steve

• Thanks 1

If my memory serves me right the1360 was not the only car to have them I think the 948 had them.

See Richees post above.  Late 13/60 CVs didn;t have them but I don't know when they stopped.  Also fitted to the Vanguard 'Vignale' the Triumph Italia. . As further thread drift I now see that Vignale is now owned by Ford, but I don't think they use crossed flags.    

C.

Edited by Casper

21 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

In navel terms what do these crossed flags signal, I thought from what I've read previously it was less than flattering to the Triumph marque

Victor/Papa (V-P). Independently:-  "V" Flown to Request assistance. "P" flown, to indicate all on board ready to proceed to sea.

p.s: I had to go online to check as I last did "semaphore" in the Scouts about 65-70 years ago now.

Pete

Humble apologies gentlemen.😟

Updated: as pointed out below. I got the colours reversed. S (Sierra)= Flown to indicate "I am am procceding full speed astern.

P

Edited by PeteH

Sorry, not V/P but V/S.  V for Vignali (the design house that Michelotti worked for) and S for Standard-Triumph for whom the design work was for.  Crossed flags were displayed on other Michelotti/Vignale designs for various other manufacturers, eg. Masserati,, Lancia, etc.

https://www.jensenmuseum.org/alfredo-vignale-life-times/ is an interesting read.

C.

On 21/02/2024 at 20:43, Peter Truman said:

In navel terms what do these crossed flags signal, I thought from what I've read previously it was less than flattering to the Triumph marque

Almost as Casper says, but SV for Studio Vignale. They are nothing to do with the Herald's nautical connection (Alick Dick's boat) nor the Amphicar (which didn't have them), nor as some suggest do they stand for 'I am operating astern propulsion' or even 'I am in distress'. :)

Italiarearcropped.thumb.png.d52856cb0770c024f12dbd7e27f2db9a.png

Almost as Casper says, but SV for Studio Vignale.

I'm not going to die on the beach over it but could you explain why Ferrari and Fiat Vignale designs used crossed  F and V, and Masserati  work bore and V crossed flags.   Alfa used V and a non-international code saltire.  The Vignale Aston Martin design for the King of Belgium had V crossed with the flag of Belgium.  Pininfarina also used crossed flags for their designs for car makers.

C.

So S-V.  "Proceeding full astern, with all on board". Sounds just like the woman with a car full of kid`s who reversed out of a Morrison`s parking slot at full tilt and "T-boned" my (then) Fiat Punto!.😭.

Any how they look the business now on the rear of Plum and I appear to have them in the correct alignment.👍 So thank you to all "contributers".

Now where can I get a Chrome (Locking?) Fuel Tank cap, that fits, the one that came fall`s off for a passtime, and without paying silly money? Only not been lost because it was on a "string" (wire). Thought I had one in my "stash" but cannot find it.😟

Pete

5 hours ago, Casper said:

I'm not going to die on the beach over it but could you explain why Ferrari and Fiat Vignale designs used crossed  F and V, and Masserati  work bore and V crossed flags.   Alfa used V and a non-international code saltire.  The Vignale Aston Martin design for the King of Belgium had V crossed with the flag of Belgium.  Pininfarina also used crossed flags for their designs for car makers.

C.

Always ready to learn and be corrected, here. Even Graham Robson in his excellent book "Triumph Herald and Vitesse" states: "You get a special prize if you know what the crossed flags actually specify."

My 13/60 has them on one side, but not the other... just in case.

16 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Always ready to learn and be corrected,

Me, too.  I have been pursuing the meaning and rationale of the crossed flags for a long time.  Increased internet resources have perhaps got me to the end of the search.

Now, the M on the bonnet catches . . . . 

C.