Herald Windscreen wiper blade arms

Chris A

I'm looking at replacing the wiper blade arms on my 13/60 and my usual supplier has 2 references listed.

If I put in 130036 it goes to part number GWB223 which look to have the bayonet socket mid way along the wiper arm.

If I put in GWB 112 it goes to a version described as 'off centre' with the bayonet socket slighty above the centre i.e. the blade would sit lower on the screen.

Both are described as 11" long and 5mm fitting.

The version currently fitted seems to be the 130036/GWB223 type, which in the parked position just goes beyond the end of the screen.

Is there a correct version or doesn't it really matter?

If I was a real nerd then I'd go for the off centre option as they are all metal and look like the TEX ones rather than having a plastic fitting. Mind you the all metal ones are a massive 1€22 each more expensive.

It's raining and I don't have anything better to do than ponder such a minor point.

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

better pressure on the screen

I don't think my wiper motor could cope with the extra load 🙄.

No idea if 7mm arms are available here in any case, if I get really bored this afternoon I might check out my 2 usual suppliers

The same Part Numbers 130036 Blade & 130034 Arm are listed for all Herald/Vitesse models, if you have a later Herald 13/60 manufactured after early 1970 it may have the wider spaced Wipers but the part numbers I believe stay the same.

I'm sure I fitted some slightly wider (12" maybe) blades that were slightly offset to my old Vitesse with the wider wiper spacings and I didn't have any issues with them catching.

PS - I do know the number of teeth on the Motor Gear wheel affects the amount of sweep degree's, a 130 Degree sweep is normal for the earlier cars up to early 1970, I'm sure the later cars are different but I can't remember how many degrees🤔   

1 hour ago, johny said:

I just replaced the rubbers with ebay silicone ones - bit of fiddling but cheap and work well...

I have spare rubber blades, it's the clip on the fixing that the arm slots into that has broken, so no option but to replace the whole unit. The risk of the blade being thrown of the arm as the wiper goes too and fro is slight I guess - the speed of the wipers is on the s l o w side. 😁

always pays to pull the rack and grease it well

places like Washer & Wiper Systems | Stafford Vehicle Components (s-v-c.co.uk)

always good for a rummage at whats available 

here and vintage car supplies have all the spline drive sizes you need and a range of baynet or shoe 

ends/blades  

what you cant get is a 15mm spine drive arm with a hook type end to take a aeroblade squeegee type modern  blade .

Hi,

I only have some experience with spit1500 or GT6 late wipers & other more modern vehicles.
I have found that the Rain-X(tm) application pays dividends.

What do others think of Rain-X?

Cheers,

Iain.

Edited by SpitFire6
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

What do others think of Rain-X?

Been using it for many years with the GT6 and first class results.  Sometimes it seems you only need the wipers when the car is stationary, rest of the time the water just runs off.

Dick

• Like 1

As said above I just replaced the rubber blade found the complete blades I purchased complete rubbish, blade edge not finished so gave worse wipe than old ones.

Replacement rubbers bought from Halfords, only minor alterations needed.

Regards

Paul.