Spitfire Seats Difference ?

Roy

Hi All, I bought a pair of later Spitfire reclining vinyl seats with headrests at Stoneleigh. They've got a seatbelt sensor switch in the squabs. Stripped and dismantled now ready to rebuild with new foams and covers. Before I can order the new parts, what's the difference between Mk4 and 1500 seats? No idea what I've bought in than sense. Pics attached. Thanks, Roy 

post-204-0-12097800-1456258291_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-57380600-1456258503_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info chaps.

John, I'd be interested to hear how you get on rebuilding your seats.

I'll certainly keep you posted Roy. The kit is coming from Owen at Park Lane and so all should be well. His stuff is always excellent and accompanied by comprehensive fitting instructions. 

Stripping down the seats was a horrible job. The powdery foam and damp covers. The whole lot went into a dustbin liner. In addition to the covers and foams I've also ordered the hardboard side pieces which come with the clips. I just could not bring myself to try to recover anything from the old seats.

John, I got my foams from Park Lane and the instructions were excellent. I've mentioned it before on here, ! put my covers through the washing machine and the came out very well. Use cable ties instead of hog rings, much easier and out of sight.

Thank you Doug. Yes i was going to use cable ties; much easier and best of all, I have them.

John, I know what you mean ref dismantling the seats, messy indeed. I took care as covers are vg so could be useful to someone else. Unfortunately I discovered the drivers upright frame is badly twisted and both seats have weld stress fractures. So that's today's job to fix them. I'll order from park lane too, seem to get lots of positive reviews. Roy

John, I know what you mean ref dismantling the seats, messy indeed. I took care as covers are vg so could be useful to someone else. Unfortunately I discovered the drivers upright frame is badly twisted and both seats have weld stress fractures. So that's today's job to fix them. I'll order from park lane too, seem to get lots of positive reviews. Roy

It's quite interesting Roy that we seem to be moving along parallel to each other. First the wiring and now the seats. I'm really looking forward to seeing your car when it's finished. It will be awesome.

Hi John, spent the day straightening and welding the seat frames, all done now thankfully. Quote request sent to Park Lane for seat kits. We do seem to be enjoying the same work items in parallel which is good fun. I'm about three months off finishing the car so hopefully get her to a Triumph meet in the summer months.

Hi John, spent the day straightening and welding the seat frames, all done now thankfully. Quote request sent to Park Lane for seat kits. We do seem to be enjoying the same work items in parallel which is good fun. I'm about three months off finishing the car so hopefully get her to a Triumph meet in the summer months.

Sounds good Roy. We are booked for Santa Pod and the Silverstone Classic so if it fits in with your plans hope to meet then. I'm really looking forward to actually meeting many of my virtual friends from the world of Triumphs.

I can thoroughly recommend Park Lane for foams and covers - I did my GT6 seats a couple of years ago and was delighted with the outcome. Halfway through doing my door cards now with more product from Owen. I have tickets for Triumphest and Silverstone classic too

Gully

• Like 1

Sounds good Roy. We are booked for Santa Pod and the Silverstone Classic so if it fits in with your plans hope to meet then. I'm really looking forward to actually meeting many of my virtual friends from the world of Triumphs.

Am hoping to get to Triumphfest too John  

Roy,

Although the frames are the same apart from the headrest, what you do have to watch is the squabs as they are different between 1500 and MKIV, it is a slight difference in shape and as long as you have the corect covers for the foams then there is no problem. Basically 1500 seat covers will not fit properly on MKIV squab foams and vica versa.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, my name is Rob and i'm a new TSSC member. Don't really know what i'm doing with this laptop thingy but i'll have a go. I'm currently restoring a mk2 Vitesse convertible and was wondering if Spitfire seats with headrests tilt forward at all because if they do I might consider fitting them to my Vitesse? If not, I know the ones in late model MGBs do because my wife has got one. (Better not nick hers, I don't think she'd be very pleased). Has anyone else fitted MGB seats to their Vit and if so was it difficult? hope one or more of you can help. Thanks

Hi all, my name is Rob and i'm a new TSSC member. Don't really know what i'm doing with this laptop thingy but i'll have a go. I'm currently restoring a mk2 Vitesse convertible and was wondering if Spitfire seats with headrests tilt forward at all because if they do I might consider fitting them to my Vitesse? If not, I know the ones in late model MGBs do because my wife has got one. (Better not nick hers, I don't think she'd be very pleased). Has anyone else fitted MGB seats to their Vit and if so was it difficult? hope one or more of you can help. Thanks

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum and the Club. Nice to hear from you.

I have a pair of Spitfire 1500 seats in my car and they definitely to tip forward by operating a locking lever that releases the seat from the sub frame. It then hinges forward. Not much use in a GT6 because the headrests hit the roof. 

rgds

John

Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum.

If you click on "bodywork and fittings" and scroll down a bit you will find lots of stuff on alternative seats for your Vit convertible. Both Mazda MX5 and MGF seats are popular choices, each with its own fans, and are a big improvement on the originals if you are not worried about originality.

Regards

Steve C

Spitfire seats would sit you very low in a Vitesse. 

In all honesty the MX5 are probably the best, and as they are available in plain black (cloth, leather black, tan and many shades too) do not look out of place. 

I believe MGF seats fit a saloon, but foul the B post in a convertible.

Hi everyone, thanks for replying so quick to my seating issues. I will have a good think about which ones I go for and let you all know. However, that is some time away because we are still trying to get body lined up prior to painting which is great fun (NOT). Much work to do yet but at least its now totally solid. 

Regards, Rob