Manual Window Washer (Here I Go Again!)

Colin

Too advanced for Heralds!! Just a simple T piece, very early ones were brass, later plastic - same with the washer bottle, a brass valve in the lid of two of mine but the rest just a straight through pipe; I'm assuming that's original and a real bonus if not!

Er . . . (my poor sipleton head):- is an NRV needed on the water pick-up tube in the water bottle? There was one on it and I've renewed it . . . 

Best,

Colin

Fraid so, one on the suction side of the pump and another(s) on the discharge side and of course all must allow flow in the right direction although in this case it would be difficult to install them the wrong way round😁

Blimey, Hazel!! I am really grateful to you all for the variations and specs on what I thought should be the very simplest item of all to sort. I am going to have wait for a partial or full dismantle until another 10 days 9r so due to being otherwise occupied. You'd think in 35 years I'd recall what I'd done. Although very nicely hidden by insulation and other wiring, I think I can see I've inserted a plastic 'T' piece in the piping to the nozzles; so I am thinking it does not have an NRV in it, leaving that function to be performed by my glass balls in the metal under-dash nozzle feed pipes! BUT - as I am unable to draw water into the diaphragm whatever the situation further toward the screen nozzles, I think I will commence with sucking washer fluid up the diaphragm feed pipe and also try to fill that, too and then plunge it all out up the system. I have some thin-nosed syringes with which I might be able to achieve this!! 😃 Again, Cheers to All. Good info and entertaining, to boot! 

C.

As I say test the valves before stripping stuff down. Even better with a syringe as you can try forcing water back to the bottle - no go and then, after pumping water out of the nozzles, try to suck it back - also no go👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2024 at 11:41, Pete Lewis said:

with 31 replies about sucking and blowing   me thinks we are on the wrong forum  ha !!

Pete

Indeed the double entendres never cease... there is another thread about men and their stainless steel balls...

Just to confuse everybody, in my box of useful bits I have a flow sensor, a timer and a pump.  I've temporarily connected it all together and it works. The original handraulic switch trigers the flow sensor which turns on the timer which works the pump. 

Another waste of time and effort when I should've been doing more important things to the car. :wacko:

image.png.04bdaf8cfbef242c813c993326bf7d6e.png  image.png.eedc85bac2e85839acf318fa2ada3364.png

image.png.ceb8c485a8460a75dc9ccdf572a8fa77.png

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Just to confuse everybody, in my box of useful bits I have a flow sensor, a timer and a pump.  I've temporarily connected it all together and it works. The original handraulic switch trigers the flow sensor which turns on the timer which works the pump. 

Another waste of time and effort when I should've been doing more important things to the car. :wacko:

image.png.04bdaf8cfbef242c813c993326bf7d6e.png  image.png.eedc85bac2e85839acf318fa2ada3364.png

image.png.ceb8c485a8460a75dc9ccdf572a8fa77.png

Doug

That's a flashy system, time well spent. Now get back out there and work on the car!

• Like 1

Now I'm back off hol, I'm going to pursue my, 'it all needs a good priming', theory (having been laid up ten years and the washers not need over the last 6-7 years). Think I'll film it being done and will post, if it works 😉

Best to All. C.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am! Holiday over. New non-return valve at the bottom of the washer bottle tube. I used a syringe to try to draw up water from the bottle and found it was virtually impossible. I have no idea why. Eventually the syringe pulled some bottle water up. I primed the new manual diaphragm pump. Connected input & jet output pipes - and pumped. Bingo . . . Yes, water out of each of the jets! Except, great pressure and spurt (mainly over the roof if I'm honest) from the passenger side jet . . . and a pretty poor pressure (more of a dribbly spurt) from the driver's jet. I'm hoping it may be just a bit of a sticky non-return (if there is one) under the jet which will ease off. But at least there is something at the screen now. May give the driver's side a poke from the top, with some thin wire in case my previous anti-blockage efforts haven't cleared summat, but otherwise, not sure why the driver's side jet isn't spraying out with the pressure it should have. Best, C.

its easy for  jet and the NR valve you dont know about   ( Ha )   to get clogged if washing  up liquid has been used 

it can go very solid when in unused zones just stick to the blue or pink stuff    dont add any soapy stuff

and note most of the ready to use screenwash is 75% water   so buy the concentrate and water it down .

happy squirting 

Pete

Hi Johny - thanks. Will do! Direction's easy enough - angle of inclination bit trickier! But until driver's becomes a bit more efficient, I'm not too concerned!! Best, C.

Hi Pete - Yes; I imagine I probably used that, all those years ago. I have a drop of Meths in atm.. I'll feed some white vinegar down the jet with my super-duper syringe and I'll just keep using them until such time . . . Thanks! Best, C.