Time for a new front vertical link ?

No just LHS - Just purchased the Vitesse MK2 and looks like with the rebuild the previous owner got fed up and restored one side and just refitted the other side with original fittings - same applied to brake calipers - Ill post a pic of the  new vertical link alongside exist good link for a second opinion - New trunnions & bushes going on 

Regards 

while your playing under there , Ive said in other places its worth a quick look at the lower wishbone through bolts , the studs 

pass through the chassis with just one nut  on the inner rail

. these can corrode inside the chassis till there's nowt left of the stud, 

its worth pulling them for a view , many are fine.... a good few are terrible

Pete

No just LHS - Just purchased the Vitesse MK2 and looks like with the rebuild the previous owner got fed up and restored one side and just refitted the other side with original fittings - same applied to brake calipers - Ill post a pic of the  new vertical link alongside exist good link for a second opinion - New trunnions & bushes going on 

Regards 

heres a pic of the new vertical link from Canleys and the opposite side - there is a difference though looks good enough to use  though a second opinion would be appreciated .

post-1431-0-87448000-1459926503_thumb.jpg

That pitting/marking above the threads worries me. I have had 2 break, both in that spot. Check VERY carefully, ideally crack-test. (but don't ask me how!)

I ended up all new (and went trunnionless) as the cost was not a lot more once new trunnions etc were taken into account. Bit late now. Sorry.

• Like 1

this is the old compromise or utopia with any rebuild,

the problem is the corrosion starts a crack which soon emanates into a total break off

if youre after not having to look again for a good few years i would change it

keep the reservoir topped up with ep90 or ep140 to keep the water at bay,  the seals are  a bit simple and not very effective 

some add a greaser to top up the oil levels easily with grease gun filed with oil  others prefer to re fit the plugs ...down to prefference

but keep em oiled   not greased

Pete

• Like 1

this is the old compromise or utopia with any rebuild,

the problem is the corrosion starts a crack which soon emanates into a total break off

if youre after not having to look again for a good few years i would change it

keep the reservoir topped up with ep90 or ep140 to keep the water at bay,  the seals are  a bit simple and not very effective 

some add a greaser to top up the oil levels easily with grease gun filed with oil  others prefer to re fit the plugs ...down to prefference

but keep em oiled   not greased

Pete

I will clean up the corrosion to see the extent though will probably purchase a new one just to be safe - many thanks for the tips , very much appreciated - NB I did check the nuts on the lower Wishbone through bolts and all fine - thanks again 

Just assembling the new vertical link , new trunnion , I filled the trunnion about 1/3rd with EP90 added the link and this filled the trunnion with some overflow . The Trunnion bush kit - does this need any lubrication ? apart from bolt 

Thanks in advance 

You can add some lube to the tube but it was not intended to be serviced

they can last for years ......or not

something gooey on the bolt as with fronts and rears the tube can rust and sieze , some replacements

are made in stainless this helps the tube and bolt from degrading

pete

• 4 weeks later...

Many Many thanks to all for advice so far - Vertical Links done , new trunnions, new brake calipers, new radiator , hoses ( just waiting on Canleys for the stainless pipe under the manifold ) 

and WBL 281 H - 1969 Vitesse Saloon passed it MOT  last week - with no advisories .

Still plenty of jobs to be done to add the reliability back so there will be plenty more questions 

Regards 

Paul 

Hello Paul.

Well done and a great result.

It's a top feeling when you have done it yourself - as I'm sure you are now experiencing !!

Best wishes.

Richard.

Forgot to say the first set of Vertical links from Canleys had to be returned as the 4 bolts wouldnt line up so if you are replacing check this first before assembly - Canleys were fine & did a swop out straight away - 

Paul 

• 2 years later...

Hi, could anyone offer an opinion on reusing this vertical link? Both pictures of LH. I thought fairly clean but the threads are a bit worn?

Evidence of grease and oil use, but nothing for a few thousand miles.

I was just about to put it back together with a new trunnion so appreciate any advice. 

Thanks,

Dan

20180730_184151.jpg

20180730_184133.jpg

i would re use them,  they have no real corrosion , a few dots but i would be happy to put them back 

these things are often a choice between compromise and utopia   any corrosion around the threads or in the root and its a crack waiting to happen

yours look pretty normal to me ,  (sun hat and glasses on )

Pete

Based on what I can see from the photo I'd reuse those, no real evidence of pitting or corrosion around the snapoff point, and the threads are looking good. 

Any nagging doubts (those that come into your head once driving on those links!) take them to a club meet and get a hands-on opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any pits in the threads and they  need replacing... I ignored them and luckily mine snapped whilst turning in a car park... BANG!

A corrosion pit led to a stress raiser then it cracked and remained partly cracked for a while then it finally failed on a hard over steering lock... then try recovering it home...made for an interesting experience!

I'm replacing both sides and looking at the Canleys trunionless ones!

7700282B-563A-455F-949C-E6B8C3224009.jpeg

96BADCD7-C8CC-4583-B965-71C6DE9D133B.jpeg

0A508099-8EC1-49CD-BB90-7F3CF1B10ECC.jpeg