FUEL TANK - RESERVE TANK LEVER

Hello.

Some very good friends of mine have recently purchased a lovely 1200 Herald and have asked me if when refuelling the car, the reserve tank lever needs to be in the open position or can remain closed.

Having a Vitesse they thought I might know, but of course my car has the bigger tank with no reserve. 

My feeling is that the tap can remain closed as I cannot imagine having to flick the lever every time you fill up.

I will be grateful if someone could confirm open or closed, please.

Thank you.

Richard.

Richard,

The "reserve tank" is no such thing!

It's just an arrangement to take fuel from slightly deeper in the single tank.

So it's best to keep it in 'normal' mode unless needed

And then when you need it, expect Gubbins from the bottom of the tank to cause problems!

John

Hi Richard,

I thought all the tanks had this reserve feature but perhaps it was dropped at some point?  Or could it have been removed by a PO? (It's only a simple lever and it'd probably come off quite easily.)

Tom

Hello Tom.

My understanding is that the smaller Herald / Vitesse tanks had the reserve facility, but was dropped on the larger capacity fuel tanks. 

Regards.

Richard.

if you buy a new tank from eg fitchetts who have the presses for  making them they dont have the reserve or the drain tube 

it may well be later cars had this deleted as a cost saving , its a pretty useless bit of kit ,unless you like to run on a very low tank all the time , then it can get you out of trouble , have to say ive never ever run out of fuel in 53yrs

some run out every week  .  its all  down to preference 

Pete

I agree Pete.

My only thought is that way back in the late 50's / 60's etc. petrol stations were probably less geographically common compared than today. So with a small tank, running out of fuel may have been more likely hence the reserve. Who knows, I certainly do not !!

Best wishes.

Richard.

My recollection is they were more common then. But smaller, with 2 or 3 pumps, And, petrol pump attendants! Although fuel was very cheap then, prices varied more than today. There was always another garage around the corner where the fuel might be cheaper, which was why we were always running out!

i used to have to fill up about 12 ( large ) cars every week for a company i worked for and used to get the greenshield stamps fo each fill up.

i never  had to buy xmas and birthday presents for years as i had accumulated so many glasses  etc that i did not know what to do with them.

tight ? moi ? 

cheers

3 gallons for £1 at my local supermarket, well it was back in 1969 or 1970, can't remember for sure. Petrol stations were very common back then so running out wasn't an issue other than the price as now did vary between stations.

I learnt to drive and passed my test in 1970 in a 13/60, shame I can't get petrol at 'vintage' prices for my Herald

Don't start me on 3 or even 2 star, it all used to depend on the money at the end of the month.... :)

Anyway, petrol is still the same price it used to be, I can still get a tenner's worth, same as I could back in the 1970s.... and don't say it doesn't go as far, as my car still does the same mpg it did then... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I need a TIGER TAIL.  Had one on my school bag way back then.

Oh no! They were hanging from just about every car radio ariel or interior rear view mirror. Not everything in the past was better, mind you beer at 1s10p a pint or 2s for the 'good' stuff takes a lot of beating. :rolleyes:

I went to Bognor with the lads and found a pub selling mild for eleven pence and one halfpenny, it was horrible! :wacko: The good stuff was one and a penny. I earned £3 19/6d a week, loads a'money, potentially 73 pints a week. East Berks area meeting tonight at The Shire Horse, were beer is £4.20 a pint. I might buy, one. :mellow: