Old Engine Autopsy

Darren Groves

Decided to strip down my 'old' engine, when I say old its probably not done 10k miles but has never been a 'happy' engine. In the last couple of years compression has been down and its suffered from excessive crankcase pressure, hence the reason for rebuilding my original engine. I never did like the fast road camshaft I put in it either.

I took the head off and there were signs that the gasket had started to give way between cylinders 1 & 2, it did this a year ago. But when I took the pistons out, the top ring on each of them was broken, these were new County pistons and rings. Now I have read that County rings aren't great, but to have 4 break and the same ring on each piston seems odd.

I guess it doesn't really matter why as the new engine is now in, but curious as to why it would happen.

Hello Darren.

An interesting thread.

In simplistic terms it's either 4x bad bores or 4x bad rings. With an ever decreasing fan club, far & wide, for County parts I think suspicion must fall on the rings and perhaps all having a defect from the same batch.

It may be worth giving FW Thornton a call and seeing if they have received news of such or just to get an observation from them. I find they are an excellent outfit and always happy to help with such issues.

Your credentials are sound, so you will not be going in blind by pitching such a question should you decide to give them a shout.

http://www.fwthornton.co.uk/

Best wishes.

Richard.

Was the block decked at all?? Gasket all seemed to fit the bores OK?

Very odd to have 4 top rings break. Why the top ones?? AFAIK they are all the same (save the oil control rings) soI would be suspecting something hitting, and looking for witness marks. Likewise did they all break in the same place relative to the bores??

The trouble wit county stuff is you don't know who the manufacturer is.

I know the crank bearings are made by King, who make good bearings elsewhere. but the Triumph ones are not great, even the HD/LC type are not a touch or proper vandervell.

You think you have problems?

attachicon.gifP1000258.JPG

John

Ok, you win! How did you manage that?

Ben - Yes rings were gaped.

Clive - No, I didn't get the block skimmed, just checked for flatness, but that could certainly be the reason for the failure between 1&2.

This engine was troublesome from the off, partly because a well known Triumph supplier who sold me the Newman Camshaft gave me the wrong settings so it was running 5° out for some time. That aside, it run hot for a while when new then settled down, done a few compression check in it's first year as I was trying to fix what wasn't the smoothest idle (not knowing the camshaft was timed wrong) and they were all good, so the broken rings didn't happen in the first few thousand miles. Compression started to drop a couple of years ago, I noticed the crankcase pressure was high.

Richard - I have spoken to FW Thornton's before when I was trying to source some NOS pistons for the engine that's just gone in. I always use a guy called GBH Spares down here in Devon, he holds shed loads of NOS engine parts and companies like Thornton's often go to him to get there stock. The new engine has County pistons in BUT the rings were swapped with a set that GBH Spares have made as they don't trust the County ones, so even some of the traders are aware of quality issues.

I did also have the block skimmed this time and the cylinders lined so it could go back to standard pistons, and the Fast Road camshaft has gone and replaced with a MK3 Spitfire one, so hoping it'll be smoother and last a little longer....time will tell.

my first car a 53 side valve mk5 Minx had broken rings , the previous owner had used his bicycle clips to fit them !!!!

after a rebuild with washers under the valve springs  and a carb from a unkown fitted to a sunbeam  talbot race car head and manifolds she would pull 7k and tear diffs and halfshatfs   then one day bang  the crown popped off no3 

but the rings were OK   Ha !

well its raining 

Pete

• Like 2

my first car a 53 side valve mk5 Minx had broken rings , the previous owner had used his bicycle clips to fit them !!!!

after a rebuild with washers under the valve springs  and a carb from a unkown fitted to a sunbeam  talbot race car head and manifolds she would pull 7k and tear diffs and halfshatfs   then one day bang  the crown popped off no3 

but the rings were OK   Ha !

well its raining 

Pete

And the present day boy racers think they are the first!

Dave

dave  forgot to add twin 2" copper tail pipes fitted to a remember these   'Peco exhaust Booster '   you could drop a cog and take on a PA Cresta with ease

it was also Bright red must dig out a picture   and on £2 9s 3d a week as an  apprentice you had to get out and get under guess when i bought the car for £65 

in 1963 i might have been on £4 11s    Whohooo

• Like 1

My first apprentice pay packet was £3 19s & 6p, much more than Pete's but then I'm MUCH younger. My first car cost £10 but realizing it was a bitza, and at my father's insistence, I sold it a month later for £15. A good profit, I should have stuck to the motor trade.

David Attenborough, the famous naturalist, had two brothers, Richard the famous actor and John the auto trader. Guess the wealthiest!

OK John was an executive at Alpha Romeo.

• Like 1