Improve the driving experience

To be honest, I find car shows a bit boring and for me tours and road trips are much more my scene; actually driving the car and enjoying it- using it rather than sticking it in a field along with the buffers and polishers sitting around in deck chairs. Everyone to his own but that is my preference. But not just mine, judging by at least two inspirational road trips undertaken by forum members very recently. We ourselves along with a group of friends enjoyed an excellent self-arranged tour of Brittany in May and we have just returned from taking part in the Chinon Classic; formerly known as the GP de Tours. Great things to do with the cars and they respond by providing driving pleasure and actually building reliability the more they are used. To make the experience even better it makes good sense to improve the comfort.

I don't know about you, but in my view, the biggest single factor affecting fatigue on a drive is the noise level in the car. My old GT6 had a 3.27 diff and by virtue of the high gearing and low engine revs would cruise happily at 70mph with a low noise level making 300 miles in a day very easy and without undue tiredness at the end. 

In complete contrast the lightweight, built as a hill climber is the complete opposite. The 3.89 diff puts the revs up with consequent increase in noise level. The engine and transmission are not the only culprits however because with neutral selected noise levels are still high; 10db more than in our old and very ordinary shopping car at the same speeds.

When I built the car, I lined it extensively with Dynamat and although this will take out panel drumming, additional measures are needed to insulate against low frequency noise. So, over the next months I'm going to embark on a campaign to further insulate the body in an attempt to make possible 70mph cruising in a quieter environment. I have made tests and recorded noise levels under different conditions so I'll be able to make some good comparisons as the job progresses. 

In case this has a wider interest, I will update this thread as the works progress.

• Like 4

early days of noise regs on trucks in the 60/70s we used thick sealed skin close cell foam to line all the bolt on claptrap and under floors , rear enclosures  etc.

i lined the  under tunnel and floor of my 70s New Avenger it made a remarkable difference,  thinks have moved on since then but

felt  or foam  it does work well.

i agree with drives not rivet counters but err towards  longish  out and back to somewhere to engage the brain  rather than long  tours ....one day  !!!

Pete

Tours and road trips?

two words

RoundBritainReliabilityRun

and

TenCountriesRun.

But that's not the TSSC's thing is it?

Although with the notable exception of the New TriumFest!   Which I have been sorry that I've not be able to attend either of the first two at Santa Pod.  Next year!

John

I too have enjoyed the telling of the recent holiday road trips, however the reliability run and ten countries are not the same thing. Once I'm sure I can trust my engine again I might go for a leisurely adventure, but I'm certainly not going to put 2000 miles on my car in a weekend, just to say I've done it. All credit to the guys that do, but I really don't see the allure. I saw Mr Cook after his last RR, he was wrecked! :wub: 

I'm somewhere between the polishers and Mr Lewis.

• Like 1

in Herts and Beds we have this year left most static events for area members to DIY and each month we have managed a Run these vary from 25 to 100 miles to something between steam trains ,car museums ,garden centres old friends and chip shops and obligatory end up at a pub  for a dinner so far we have been well attended, there's been a few moan about not supporting static events but think we are on a winner so far.  It works  

Pete

Laon Historique had a little bit of everything, showing off and an entertaining 'road trip' event, even if those driving solo found it nigh impossible to deal with page after page of Tulip notes on narrow country roads with high crops to give you no warning of speeding Frenchman.  I am close to the ferry ports but even so still managed nearly 600 miles over 3 days.  Just need to find a way to stay cool in a Gt6 Mk1, which is NOT a clue to start that ball rolling again.

John's view on internal noise raises an interesting point, and one I would agree with, given the recent comments on a different thread about exhaust systems; the vast majority of Triumphs at Laon seemed to have the 'wheelbarrow'  type.  I have little sound deadening in the GT6 and a 3.63 diff but perhaps 35 years at sea as a gunnery officer has some benefits. 

Makes me wish I'd recorded my trip to Classic Le Mans in SofS last year in more detail, if it would interest people.

Second time, but this one was a classic dash, unlike previous with the Spitfire Aces, when we visted Rheims and Less Essarts.

I'm sure that Bernard Robinson in the Courier Office would be delighted to have more copy of tours - the latest issue landed on my mat this morning and has four such stories.

Heat was a problem in SofS, until I bored three holes in each front window, to take right-angled drain pipe connectors  my patented air conditioning equipment.  Forwards catches the breeze, backwrads acts as an extractor.  Simples!

John

post-139-0-51031700-1498918748_thumb.jpg

John,

I quite agree that road trips suit me better than sitting in a field for the day. But it is not just the road trips, it is for me the preparation, organising and producing a road book for the trip that I also enjoy. A prepared route for 10 cars to Wales followed by 2 routes organised by the hotel where we stay (Llanerchindda Farm) and then the route home was absolute bliss. 600 miles over 4 days and apart from a dodgy fuel pump our cars all behaved impecabily.

So where to next year, the planning starts here.

NeilF 

For me at present just being able to have spare time to chat with friends is a luxury, so a soft seat in a warm field is Heaven at present. I can't remember the last time I was in a pub for a chat, must be years.... I can't spare the time for an extended run anywhere (although I'm booking four nights in York around Hallowe'en just to get away somewhere...) so I guess that at present I'm at the lower end of the food chain when it comes to events. It's a great Ulster / country tradition, to pull up a chair and hash, as we call it. If only so many of our local shows didn't drown out the conversation with a stage and some dreadful performer pumping out Country and Irish music for an audience of four or five.... 

HOWEVER: when I rebuilt the GT6 I soundproofed everywhere I could, even behind the dashboard and all vertical surfaces inside the car, and this has led to being able to enjoy a drive or even hear the CD player.... a full roll of soundproofing felt was £15 at Stoneleigh and I had enough for a car and a half.

Indeed it does Neil. For us it has to be France and France is a big Country with so much to offer. But which part?

Like you, Sue and I produced a road book with detailed instructions for each day's route. When there's a group of you a printed route is absolutely essential and it is hugely satisfying to produce. Out trips are pretty leisurely and each day is structured around coffee, lunch and afternoon tea stops (or the French equivalent). This is where Google Streetview comes into its own for identifying safe parking and the mandatory Tabac bars.

gallery_67_84_74709.jpggallery_67_84_10905.jpg

So, if anyone gets lost they know where to aim for and most importantly, won't miss lunch!

Here follow a few photos of places we visited. the first being what must be Brittany's best kept secret; the Parc Floral

gallery_67_84_12220.jpg

A memorable barbecue at the house of a GT6 CT member who lives in France

gallery_67_84_25794.jpg

The amazing stone rows at Carnac

gallery_67_84_27956.jpg

The WW2 U Boat pens in L'Orient

gallery_67_84_49538.jpg

And finally the Enclos Paroissiaux of Finistère

gallery_67_84_38233.jpg

We did a bit of driving as well!

Although I much prefer "dynamic" events (yes, I love the 10CR, spending best part of a week with my wife and a bunch of friends, seeing wonderful stuff and so on, the RBRR is a challenge, not for everybody but until you have done it, it is impossible to understand why so many people love it! 2 non-triumph friends did the last one with me, both like their cars, and weren't too sure what they were letting themselves in for, but they are still talking about it now, and planning for the next one)

Also enjoyed Santa Pod, and since have done the TRR trackday. So that is all good stuff.

However, we still enjoy the odd country "show", I think mainly to catch up and just spend time with mates. Drinking tea, eating cakes and wandering about amazed at the stalls selling Disney merchandise from 10 year old films, or people sitting in caravans with a display of "stuff" that undoubtedly means a lot to them, but we have seen all sorts from model submarines to macdonalds toys and everything in between (maybe that is just down here, but I suspect not)

To be fair, the weather is important, and we certainly (a) don't have the time and (b.) the inclination to attend more than a few a year.

As to Sounds, I am still struggling with exhaust. Mine was tested at Castle Combe at 99.7db, after having initially passed at 97 (pulled me for a retest as he could hear me around the entire circuit!!)But very nice,said I was fine and I could carry on, but I offered to pop my home made insert into the tailpipe.Got it back to 96DB, he was happy.

Plans afoot for rear silencer swap before the 10CR in September, I hope that a total of 44-48" of exhaust box will fit under the boot floor! I also intend fitting some sound insulation to the boot area. Saying that it is not too bad wit te roof down. My fear is the weather, roof up spitfires (and indeed herald/vitesse) get much much noisier....

So John, that may be the answer. Chop the roof off??

Although I much prefer "dynamic" events (yes, I love the 10CR, spending best part of a week with my wife and a bunch of friends, seeing wonderful stuff and so on, the RBRR is a challenge, not for everybody but until you have done it, it is impossible to understand why so many people love it! 2 non-triumph friends did the last one with me, both like their cars, and weren't too sure what they were letting themselves in for, but they are still talking about it now, and planning for the next one)

Also enjoyed Santa Pod, and since have done the TRR trackday. So that is all good stuff.

However, we still enjoy the odd country "show", I think mainly to catch up and just spend time with mates. Drinking tea, eating cakes and wandering about amazed at the stalls selling Disney merchandise from 10 year old films, or people sitting in caravans with a display of "stuff" that undoubtedly means a lot to them, but we have seen all sorts from model submarines to macdonalds toys and everything in between (maybe that is just down here, but I suspect not)

To be fair, the weather is important, and we certainly (a) don't have the time and (b.) the inclination to attend more than a few a year.

As to Sounds, I am still struggling with exhaust. Mine was tested at Castle Combe at 99.7db, after having initially passed at 97 (pulled me for a retest as he could hear me around the entire circuit!!)But very nice,said I was fine and I could carry on, but I offered to pop my home made insert into the tailpipe.Got it back to 96DB, he was happy.

Plans afoot for rear silencer swap before the 10CR in September, I hope that a total of 44-48" of exhaust box will fit under the boot floor! I also intend fitting some sound insulation to the boot area. Saying that it is not too bad wit te roof down. My fear is the weather, roof up spitfires (and indeed herald/vitesse) get much much noisier....

So John, that may be the answer. Chop the roof off??

I can always rely on you Clive for thinking outside the box  :)

I expect that to make a fair difference. Our mk3 spit has dellortos fitted, and the bark is impressive! I think an airbox is a really good move. I need to consider it for my yellow spit, but also whether or not to change from ITB's to a single throttle body, make zero difference to power, but should improve economy and driveability. Just a thought at the moment,,,,

Not something I have experience off, but I know the kitcar chaps fit airboxes to get through noise testing. Induction noise can be greater than exhaust!