Spitfire 1500 Engine Rebuild

Anglefire

Another update - as I mentioned earlier I ordered a standard dIzzy from the Doctor - who initially said it would be December - then had a bit of a mooch about and thought he had a spare core available and would see if he could get it done earlier - well its arrived today! And it looks brand new - very nice job and complete with calibration certificate.

Very much recommended based on what I've seen so far. :D

On 01/11/2017 at 10:18 AM, Pete Lewis said:

do make sure you stick to 97+ or better fuel,  **95 ul was for side valves and mowers when these cars were born.

if you look under the rocker shaft face if its stamped TKC1155 its could already  be an unleaded head  there's some disparity over these numbers depends on 

supplier 

Pete

Pete,

Just had chance to have a look for the mark - I was expecting it to be under the rocker cover! 

It does appear to be TKC1155 :D

IMG_1201.jpg

You dont have to worry about  unleaded inserts there is so much lead memory in the cast iron to last for years of motoring

If you have a valve problem develop or you need the head of then is the time to consider fitting exhaust seat inserts

Otherwise just use a high ron 97+ fuel and drive ,  dont waste money on any aftermarket must haves like addatives they are just a waste of money with little gain ,  you should use the money to buy more fuel 

Pete

Pete and Folks.

I have to confess that I have always gone with at least 97RON fuel for both of my classics and I do throw in standard Redex from time to time.

A PO of one of my classics always used 95RON, as the head had been converted to take UL fuel - he said that was fine; I on the other hand was not wholly convinced !!

How much difference does it make regarding combustion and actual running of the vehicle if the induction system, ignition and timing is tip-top and adjusted correctly ?? Having never used 95RON in classics, it is a Q that I have often considered from a theory angle rather than the pending application of such.

I accept the fact of potential pinking if the CR is too high with certain classics, for example 10:1 etc.

Regards.

Richard. 

Steve,

I get the feeling that is pretty much the norm for many classics.

Perhaps modern engines run a far leaner burn and as such pinking is not an issue, in fact I do not know what the CR is of modern petrol engines these days.

Anyway, thank goodness for 97RON and above still being available.

To date I have not had any issues using Esso 97 Supreme and sometimes Tesco 99 Momentum; needless to say it is a well trodden topic with classic owners having their preferred favourite fuels and of course the locality of fuel stations plays a part.

Regards.

Richard.

Ive often said when our cars were designed they are specified with setting for super grade fuel 5 *stuff aroind 100 101 octane

The 95ron  2*was for low compression side valves and motor mowers,

If you run with a low octane fuel then you have to retard the timing to give it time to burn, so this 

Becomes fairly simple in my book , you retard the spark to get the burn right , this creates more heat as the burn takes longer and has 

less effort in the 'bang' so a  low ron gives a late spark and a corresponding drop in performance

The pinking you hear is the effect of slow burning fuel knocking seven bells out the piston  crown

Well something like that

Ive often said when our cars were designed they are specified with setting for super grade fuel 5 *stuff aroind 100 101 octane

The 95ron  2*was for low compression side valves and motor mowers,

If you run with a low octane fuel then you have to retard the timing to give it time to burn, so this 

Becomes fairly simple in my book , you retard the spark to get the burn right , this creates more heat as the burn takes longer and has 

less effort in the 'bang' so a  low ron gives a late spark and a corresponding drop in performance

The pinking you hear is the effect of slow burning fuel knocking seven bells out the piston  crown

Well something like that

Thanks Pete, that's a useful insight and makes sense.

When you do a double post is that the signal for a "spot-the-difference" competition :D !!

All the best.

Richard.

Richard there is some delay down here , tonight and if nothing happens you just have to poke the tab one more time

Lucky there isnt 5

Its just my view, from a good few years in early petrol and diesel  emission testing  there wasnt much science about 

In the 70s80s  the bi product of  emmission results drove a big help in fuel consumption improvements

Pete

They are stamped County, but are made by King (who are a decent manufacturer) 

However there are 2 grades available, std which are not ideal as they are Tin I think, and Trimetal (marked/sold as HD) which are better. The best were Vandervell VP1, my first engine rebuilds were done using them,straight from Kippings (now Canleys) but the supplies dried up many years ago. 

Worth replacing as pretty cheap anyway, about £30 for BE and mains. Check thrusts too....

Ok, measured the end float on the crank - and when I push the crank all the way over, I can get a 12thou feeler down the gap.

The bearings aren't marked as to their size, so I guess they are standard (I'll measure them to be sure though not sure how thick they are as standard (yet)!

So on the basis that there should be between 4 and 8 thou end float, I need ideally 8 thou oversize. Which you can't get - so do I go 10 over or 5 over?

Or for the sake of £7 get both and see what fits best? :unsure: