Fuel gauge reading zero suddenly

Ricky

Wiring more likely. Do you have a multimeter? Test if there's voltage to the gauge. Disconnect the live wire on the sender and see if there's a resistance reading across the sender. What's the fuel gauge doing? Both gauges are fed from the voltage stabiliser. (a wavering 10.5 volts on the meter)

Is there a bullet hole in your fuel tank?!! :lol:

It could be as simple as one of the connections becoming detached. Check at both ends 

Difficult to get further without a multimeter but you could try a 12v bulb to see if there's a power supply Disconnect the live from the gauge and put the bulb between it and an earth You should get a dim light

You can do the same to test the sender but you will need to remove it and put it in a circuit with a battery and bulb  As you move the float up and down the bulb should dim and brighten

Aidan

The sender will have two wires 

One is an earth to the body, the other is the   line to the gauge   just pull this off the sender and earth it , the gauge should fly up to full

If it does the fault is within the float unit,  if it doesnt the fault is the gauge or its stabilised supply

Pete

my tyres are warranted against puctuation

Im exempt !!!

theres something silly if i use my tablet   you can test al the  keys and they work ok  as soon as you type 

they all move out of line especially the space bar which persists in doing M's   which is right above it

i know its doing it ,,,gets me evertime 

i dont get finger trouble on a keyboard just senior spelling  

still looking for a secretary with big doo dahs and a short thingamy  + brains 

Pete

My keyboard has "jump back". I starsomething really important  t typing and bang. This is due to "finger capacitance" according to Samsung and nothing to do with their keyboard. The fact that it only happens on the Chronos model is coincidence.  :angry:

Your tablet wouldn't be a Samsung would it? Sounds like a similar thing.

24 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

You could use thimbles? Was it the guitar player of Deep Purple lost some finger tips in a factory press? He made some replacements out of Araldite, that might work.

Ritchie Blackmore's fingers are intact, but as it sounds more like bass player injury it could be Roger Glover!

Gully

Just done an interweb search, it was Tony Iommi, guitarist of Black Sabbath. It's on Wikipedia, so it must be true. The story there mentions thimbles and melted plastic, not Araldite, but Araldite's what I read years ago.

Oh, Shaun knows it already! Respect Shaun!

Aidan, we're just filling time till Ricky buys a multimeter and tells us what he's found.

I knew the Tony Iommi story because a dear bassist friend of mine (now sadly departed) had a similar story. He dropped his car keys down a drain, lifted up the heavy cover to reach them and the cover fell down before he'd got his whole hand out. Lost 3 fingers. He taught himself to play again lefthanded. 

Hurry up and get that multimeter Ricky, before this turns into Tales From The Tour Bus :)

There are 2 wires, one black, one green, both disappear into the loom, so I cant trace the earth to the body.  I assume the green is earth (!) but if I ( or whoever chose green cable) get this wrong i.e. inadvertently connect feed straight to earth, what happens? Told you I was no mechanic.