Car Insurance

Adrian

Hello all, 

i just wondered if we could get a feel for insurance. My cars are insured as follows gt6 in garage and mini 1000 on drive very limited mileage 2000 each. My renewal was £220 for the 2. I accept all the other variables, location, age (51) full no claims, etc. Is this reasonable in your experience? Yet a 15000 mile a year daily driver land cruiser is £400 

thanks Adrian 

I would be getting some other prices to cover the cars. Saying that, the mini age can play a factor (but most are over 25 years now) as will other people on the policy.

I pay a little more than that for 3 modified Triumphs, all declared on the driveway though my spitfire (zetec engine, ford box, scooby diff etc) lives in the garage most of the time when not in use. Toledo is an 1850 now, and a tasty mk3 spitfire with a (very) fast road engine/dellortos and CV rotoflex. All in a bit more than you pay with european breakdown and unlimited mileage. That is with Peter James. Always happy with them for the last 10 years or more since I got fed up with Footman James's snotty attitude and useless staff on the phone.

I'm with Peter James to  53 and just the one standard  mk1  GT6 and just under  £100 with unlimited mileage  and UK + European breakdown  

To me it's a great price although I have heard they are a bit of hard work when making a claim

Aidan 

Bog standard GT6 with recovery £87 from Peter James. I was recovered last year and the AA man said "Blimey! This tow would cost twice that". Premium didn't go up, limited/unlimited mileage doesn't seem to make a difference.

I should add that there was no messing about with the recovery, others tell me that they usually send someone to try and fix it before they then send a tow. Once I'd told them the car and my diagnosis, head gasket, they sent an AA tow van.

Mobile armchair, Liverpool & Victoria, written quote £400+ "Go compare" price £100+ less with.......Liverpool & Victoria!

I went local after Footman James started to charge me more than my everyday car. My recent renewal for the GT6 and Herald, garaged and on 1500 miles per year (agreed value of course) was £109. This includes recovery and key replacement. The price went up from last year as I'm now apparrently living in an area of high risk...

Our 2500 spit is insured with Lancaster. We put the car in my wife's name to build some ncd cos she hasn't got any. Just under £100. I think we paid about £30 extra for recovery. Insured it 2 days before we collected it and ended up using the recovery for the last 10 miles of a 200 mile drive back.... Rear wheel bearing oil seal had been put in wrong way round. Lost its grease and the bearing collapsed and chewed up the half shaft .... which was annoying in lots of ways. 

that sounds the joys of repairs carried out by guesswork rather than investing in a decent manual

there's a lot of it about ,  all a bit unfortunate.   look forward to a better season with a SMILE 

i insure my modern and the 2000 as a multi car with P james   and so far cant better their prices ,had some fun with an accident claim on the 2000 which 

i hope not to repeat..

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

that sounds the joys of repairs carried out by guesswork rather than investing in a decent manual

there's a lot of it about ,  all a bit unfortunate.   look forward to a better season with a SMILE 

Pete

This one's been a tale of fixing things that were supposed to be fixed or fixing them again properly. At least the nuts and bolts have been easy to undo. 

Trouble is it makes you wonder about the things you can't see. Worrying about every little noise doesn't make for relaxed motoring, especially when these cars make lots of little noises already. 

Aidan.

I always went via Carole Nash (CN), the  brokers, but noted that their quotes were increasing a little every year, not just for the Vitesse but also the Alpine; both vehicles are garaged.

The Vitesse renewal is in March and I decided to get an AIV at the SEM this year, so changed from CN to Peter James (PJ) prior to the SEM.

Peter James quoted £95 including comprehensive breakdown cover for the Vitesse and when I informed them that the Vitesse now had an AIV they made no additional charge. When the Alpine insurance came up for renewal, PJ quoted a mere additional £65 to add the car to the policy with all the benefits that the Vitesse has. In fairness the Alpine does not have an AIV, although I really should get that sorted.

£160 for the 2x cars including breakdown cover and with Kathryn as a named driver on both cars really is excellent VFM in my book.

I have heard, through previous reporting via the TSSC Forum, that PJ can be a bit reticent to expedite claims; however no insurance company is going to roll over and have their "tum tickled" when it comes to paying out. In such instances regular contact with a company that is slow to respond really does help to them to focus on the job in hand - a telephone call every couple of days tends to keep them on their toes and your claim will be dealt with swiftly; if only to get you off their backs !!

I had no axe to grind with CN as always found them very efficient, but of course the Vitesse AIV via the club insurance panel required a change. I have to say that to date, I am happy with the service of PJ. 

As Clive has flagged, I would certainly make a few calls to determine a better outcome for your requirements.

On an aside, we use LV for our moderns and home insurance - cannot fault their service or premiums and we have been with them for about five years now. 

Regards.

Richard.

Personally I think the way the actuaries at the insurance firms have profiled us all to such an extent is pretty unfair. In my eyes insurance is like a health system, everyone chips in but some need it more than others. 

Being 50+ and a good risk means I get my insurance ridiculously cheap, sub 90 on the spitfire and under 290 for a 390bhp range rover. Meanwhile my son (25 and clean license ) pays about 1400 for his little A3. That's a LOT of money to a lad on almost minimum wage. And any 'interesting' car is simply a no no.

By the time I was 25 I'd had 2 spits,  a GT6,  a fiat x19 (for which I can only appologise), a dolly Sprint and a TVR 3000m (the one I wish I'd mothballed)  . He'd NEVER be able to get insurance on modern equivalents of those and I feel so sorry for him and feel almost guilty saying what I was lucky enough to have. 

When I started driving insurance was fairly expensive but certainly didn't cripple me. I feel so sorry for young uns these days. If us older ones paid even an extra £25 then we'd hardly notice and it would help the struggling youngsters a lot. They can't afford a flat like we could, soon they won't be able to afford a car either. Where they'll get their courting done is a mystery. 

Obviously I've chipped in with the boy's insurance, I can't just stand by and see him robbed of the pleasure I had in cars I had at his age. 

The key is look around, go compare, and similar. As I said earlier Liverpool Victoria were £100 cheaper on a compare site and immediately dropped their price when challenged.

Richard, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what AIV is! I looked it up, all the acronym site could come up with was Armoured Infantry Vehicle. Surely not? :o

Doug

Did you see Guy Martin this week on tv they made a replica WW1  mk4 tank from scratch, with a lot more help than we could get 

The Humber would go backwards as fast as forwards so you could retreat without turning round, just another bit of Commer family  archives, wriiten in Luton factory , very pictorial for any squaddy to strip and repair

Im sure Triumph and Standard built armoured vehicles during the war effort,  can you imagine the rapid turn around from whatever to

armaments with just a telephone , telex and guy on a motorbike for any communication  but  there was a will to do it not all the reasons why you couldnt. unlike the blame game we have to put up with these days 

Grrrrr

Pete

• 3 months later...

Well, what can I say just got a quote from Peter James at £220 for the two cars Hagarty my current insurers came up with a comparable quote (2k miles for me and the wife). Maybe because I'm only 51 I'm considered a boy racer in the classic car world!  

On 11/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, Pete Lewis said:

Im mean everyones got one ,  you cant have too many 

Grew up with them on the streets here in Northern Ireland, although we had Ferret Armoured RVs rather than Humber Scout Cars. I'll bet not many kids got to play in Saracens and Humber Pigs! The army used to park in a layby opposite my house and we'd bring them in for tea, which meant we had the vehicles more or less to ourselves for an hour or so. One of them was destroyed in a landmine explosion outside Benburb in 1972, which my father took me to see as I'd known some of the soldiers in it.