Bullet Connectors - Vitesse

Paul H

Hi started to tidy up the wiring in front of the radiator ie head lamp, spots , horn, replacing cables as necessary .  The bullet connectors are the weak link and what’s the best way to proceed. I could renew the bullet connectors , replace the bullets with insulated spade connectors , remove bullets and splice and solder and heat shrink 

Any thoughts and advice 

Paul

Solder also tends to "go off" too over time. 

I would either just replace the bullets - given that they have been there for what 40years - they ain't done bad! Or with heat shrink butt joints https://smile.amazon.co.uk/BargainBitz-Heatshrink-Connectors-Terminals-Connector/dp/B007OUXB0U/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g1616883267?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8 something like this.

31jWSGIPyLL.jpg

Hi Paul 

If you don't care about originality then your suggestion seems sensible. If I were doing the same I'd probably see if I could find and use modern day plug connectors rather than splicing as there was a reason why the bullet connectors were there in the first place 

Aidan

Hello Paul.

I have been tidying up the wiring plus making new mini-looms for my Vitesse. 

Decided to go the original route with bullets and connectors, I have soldered the bullets and if done properly they are 100% strong with all the connectors being replaced. 

Personally I think it looks neater (no garish colours) and is actually more streamlined when using the bullets and the relevant connectors. 

Old bullets and connectors become tarnished and oxidised, that is where the majority of issues lay - as Pete says a small dab of Vaseline etc goes along way to protect the terminals, just in the same way as the battery posts. Do not be tempted to use grease.

Where some wires run side by side I have used shrink wrap to bundle and neaten their passage and at fiddly wire junctions I have used a material tape. When I first got the tape and looked at it, I was not overly impressed however the result is the complete opposite and the fabric binds tight and looks period - it really is top stuff.

Here is the link - identical to what I have and sold by the same dealer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-TAPE-51608-ADHESIVE-CLOTH-FABRIC-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-15m-25m-19mm-15mm-9mm/252275241094?hash=item3abcc6b086:m:mXro8yDUoPdKvEWGIF_pfMQ

Hope that assists ??

Good luck.

Richard.

I took my Herald's headlight bullet apart to clean it up and the internal coupler fell out in 2 pieces, so it looks like they can fail mechanically over time.  Replaced like-for-like with new items that are still available from mail-order auto electricians.  The soldering can be fiddly, but they look original.  I then wrapped the completed junction with self-amalgamating tape to keep out the road spray.

Good luck,

SR

I use a can of aerosol wax protection stuff to spray any electrical connections. Keeps them from corroding pretty well. I have used spray grease and bike chain lube too, all does a similar job. 

The problem with soldering is that the actual cable goes solid near the connector, and can fractured subject to vibration. Hence the original looms are crimped, not sure how they did the bullets as the cable coming out is still flexible. 

• Like 1

That's why I like Mark's 'heatshrink' suggestion; I've recently become very fond of Maplins for theirs. I'm using it on all sorts of joins and connections and when shrunk it grips the cables thereby holding them more securely, giving a bit of added support to the bullet and hopefully extending the life of the join while keeping moisture and other stuff out to some extent.