Nautam's Spitfire Mark IV

Park Lane classics are the best and cheapest for seat foams. They also do leather seat covers.

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk

Newton Commercial also do replacement seat covers

.https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/spitfire

Foams and covers are easy to replace, just don't use hog ties, the original fixing, use tie wraps.

Doug

Hi all

Just out of interest, has anyone used Velcro to stick down their carpets?

Looking on Amazon, there is loads of different varieties/makes etc but not sure which to use...may all be the same or could use industrial type of stuff.

I really don't want to stick carpets down with glue so Velcro may be the next best option...

Nautam 

Hi Doug,

No I don't think I have any studs on my floorpan...see my earlier pictures...I take it that the bit with the screw goes into the floor and the female bit goes on the underside of the carpet with 3 pronged circular bit fits on the topside of the pile and you bend the prongs so it fits in.

My only concern is that there will be more holes in the metalwork/floorpan...may need to treat once the screw is in to prevent the dreaded 'R' word.

Nautam

Hi all

Well I have ordered my foams from Park Lane Classics but just wondering whether anyone has used Vinyl seats from Watford Classic Cars?

Triumph Spitfire / GT6 Seat Covers 1 pair Brown Vinyl with Headrest covers

Interested in these above and saw this on ebay for around £80 for 2 seat covers...I like the brown/tan colour but Rimmers are out of stock and Park Lane don't do them in brown...

Stay away or give them a shot?

Nautam

I'm just fitting the Park Lane foams and covers and I must say they're excellent. Do remember though to keep the hardboard/clips that live in the inside pockets of the old seat back covers. You can tell from that that I didn't and the replacements don't include them. 

Rubber supports were perished and I didn't like the price of replacements so I tried 35mm jute webbing and it's worked a treat. Sewn at both ends, zig zagged for a bit of give, moves enough to access the slot in the foam. 5m per seat FYI and about £1/m. I don't even feel like it's a compromise. 

Now the sun is out seats have become a priority. Glad I got them ordered early because he's always busy. They arrived exactly to the day that I was promised when I I ordered them about 8 weeks ago. 

1526428542661-97402034.jpg

Well all, finally managed to POR 15 my passenger side floorpan...see attached...degreased, rust treated it and then POR 15ed it...certainly looks better than before....Will go down the velcro route for the carpets and will either stitch to underside of carpet or try sticking with Gorilla Glue.

Will now do the drivers side next...Seat Foam, new door boards and dash top ordered from Park Lane Classics so just waiting for a delivery date...I think the lead-time is quite long so expect these to come in August!...will wait and see.

Nautam

IMG_9066.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

You've been a busy boy Nautam. I've been doing similar but with foil fronted rubber insulation. The heat and reflection off the foil in this weather has been absolutely brutal!!! :blink:  I'm not really a fan of putting anything on nice new metalwork but I'm sure they'll still have scrapers and thinners in 50ys time if it ever needs welding. 

I like your velcro idea, I'm using camper van carpet for the fiddly bits and getting proper bound carpet for the footwells and behind the seats. That camper carpet is pretty stretchy so I'm thinking about doing the rear wheel arches with it. It's not very deluxe feeling but nice enough for round the edges with a bit of proper carpet underfoot. 

Weather has been tough to watch sitting on the subs bench. Looks like we're both getting there though. Is this your last bit? My mechanicals are all done and the paint can wait until next winter. As soon as there's something to sit on it's chocks away! 

20180519_175631.thumb.jpg.651d9e5accccf476ffa83e15cadfa546.jpg

Hi Shaun

Yes been busy...have some spare time today so made the most of it!... I'm in the same position as you...all mechanicals done... car passed its MOT in April...now doing some cosmetic stuff which I can handle...like you I will leave the bodywork for someone to do later in the year but in the meantime I've used some touch up paint here and there...from a distance looks ok up up close not that good.

Like your idea with the insulation...looks good....my carpet is ok so will not replace...will post pics of my progress and let you all know if industrial velcro works or not.

Regards

Nautam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Turning my attention to the passenger seat...took the rails off, wire brushed them down and treated with rust protection, then sprayed them silver...looks nice plus put WD40 to clean up the sliding mechanism...before and after pics attached...

Also received my new vinyl seats but will have to wait for the foams from Park Lane Classics before I tackle the seats.

Now that the passenger side pans are painted will put the carpets in with velcro at some point...will let you know how I get on.

Nautam

IMG_9069.JPG

IMG_9070.JPG

IMG_9071.JPG

IMG_9073.JPG

It's getting there. The only thing I can see different between those covers and the park lane ones is that mine had a flap of hessian at the top of the seat back fluting, on the inside, that pulls through a slot in the back foam to keep the cover tight. 

You might find a dot or two of grease will keep the runners running smoothly, wd40 tends to just evaporate away. 

Hopefully you'll have some of these arriving soon...... :)

20180518_164259.jpg

Then your next job will look something like this. I was a bit worried about the ties pulling through the vinyl so I folded it over to go through 2 layers. Typically the second one I did went better and I got the cover to go right over the basket rather than have a bit showing. Still looks OK though because not much shows when they're installed. It's interesting seeing someone at exactly the same stage as I'm at. Photo is before I tensioned the ties. Covers came with 100 long strong ties which is thought was decent. You have to glue the fluted part of the seat base to the foam, and the back foam to the back frame, I found good old clear Bostik worked great for both jobs. 

20180516_204123.jpg

And another one..... I just thought I'd brief you about a potential problem or two while they're fresh in my mind.

Before and after photo. That wrinkle in the base of the new one... just needed another cable tie to get some more tension on. (Also I now realise I need some headrest covers in smoother vinyl).

Did you save the little boards with clips on from your old seat back covers? I had to fish mine out of a bin bag (kept till the redo job was over) when I found the new covers didn't have them. They keep the sides pulled down and in. But when I refitted them I couldn't make them pull down far enough to re-engage with the slot on the frame. Maybe I'd glued my rear foam a tad too high, but it was only just above the frame tbh. Maybe the cover was 1/2" too short, I don't know. Anyway can you see how the bottom side parts of the seat back flare out a bit without them? I've cured it with a single rivet through a stainless washer into the frame side and it's spot on now and looks tidy.

20180517_192418-1.jpg

Fantastic Shaun

Thanks for this...My foams won't arrive till September as I have also ordered some door cards, dash recovery kit, and other bits and pieces...will be away on holiday in August so the earliest delivery Owen could do is Sept...Plenty of time to do additional research on seat recovery...in the meantime, I will enjoy the weather and give the old girl some vitamin D and fresh air...also sort out some odds & sods on the car.

I must say your seats look amazing on the before and after pics...well worth doing this as the interior will be transformed plus driving her will be more comfortable.

Nautam

Thanks. Yep I'm looking forward to having a bit more suspension under me too. Let's just say I've been making mistakes so you don't have to. :) Don't start talking about September, it's going to come far too soon for me!

Hi all

Well managed to PO15 the drivers side so both of my floor pans are ready for carpet...drivers side a bit better than the passenger side....before and after pics attached

Had a bit left so did the fuel tank too...

Will attempt the carpets at some point when time allows...

Nautam

IMG_9074.JPG

IMG_9077.JPG

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9078.JPG

Looking good. Ah the memories!! I got a metre of hessian of ebay and put it between the seat cards and the foams. Not essential, but finishes the job off and keeps a lot of the dirt off the foams. The side cards have to be pulled really tight and are a struggle to do, but the tension helps stretch the cover in nicely. You only want to do it once. Owens product, as mentioned so many times is first class, but his instructions can be a little difficult, due to the pictures being very small. If in doubt ask questions here. Many of us have fitted his covers and we all have found different ways of solving problems etc.

I put a layer of 'Silentcoat' self adhesive pads under the seats (and on the fuel tank). It's not cheap (got it off ebay) but it is thinner than underfelt and doesn't force the carpet into the seat baskets stopping the seat runners working or damaging the carpet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Coat-375x270mm-Deadening-Proofing/dp/B00B24JM34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529086774&sr=8-2&keywords=silent+coat+2mm

We all love a bit of insulation ;) Mine's about 8mm thick so I had to put my seat rails up on some spacers otherwise the basket was a bit low and also the rails bowed when bolted down at both ends. It's definitely made a significant difference to the noise level. Make sure the surface is clean because as sticky as it seems, it can lift in concave areas especially if you're sticking stretch carpet down. I did everywhere except the wheel arches. 

The only holes I had a bit of trouble finding again were for the seat belt latches because you can't poke up through them from underneath. 

20180531_202526.jpg