Nautam's Spitfire Mark IV

Bilt Hamber labs do a variety of waxes that can be squirted into chassis box sections or painted on. I find their Dynax UB (under body) to be good brushed onto the chassis. It dries to a semi-set state and apart from smelling of sheep (I think it may contain lanolin) it has a lot to recommend it. I'm sure that other forum members will have their favourites too.

Wayne

I used POR 15 on some rock sliders and the paint did come off fairly quickly. Even on the bits that didn’t come into contact with rocks ?

Might have been prep to be fair but does go on nice. 

Which is why I now prefer the buzzweld paints because it does go on a less than perfect surface and does convert any rust to an inert compound. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

My car has passed its MOT!!...all fully road worthy however I have to apply for historic status so I get a refund on the road tax.

Anyway, I've run into a problem in that driving the car yesterday, I started losing 1st and 2nd gear with the gear sick being really limp and finding it difficult to get the car into gear. I understand that the gear selector bushes may have gone...so off comes the tunnel and I found the following next to the prop shaft and a screw plus the rubber gear housing has had it.

Is it easy to replace these bushes as the gear selection mechanism seems really limp?

Also, I've seem some posts about possibly replacing the tunnel as mine looks like the old cardboard one which is insulated with the stuff you find in your loft...hope its not asbestos!

Nautam

IMG_9018.JPG

IMG_9019.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9017.JPG

Looking at the diagrams of the mechanism in the Owners Worksop Manuel , I cannot see a round plastic bowl type item under the springs on my car (Nylon Sphere)...perhaps it may be this that may have disintegrated. Could this this may be my problem?...If so where would be the best place to get a kit for this type of repair?

Nautam

Hi all

Does anyone know what this is on top of the fuel tank...I touched it and there some ashy type material that comes off it...the boot smells of petrol too...its not strong but just concerned and wondering:

1. What is it and is mine damaged.

2. Is is supposed to look like this or is it a botched part..seems like the previous owner may have put a fag end in the hole to block it.

3. What should I do?..Should I take this thing out and replace it with something?

Sorry for the non-technical terms as I am new to all this but any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Nautam

IMG_9020.JPG

Nautam,

I think the concern is what might be in the fuel line. Mine was full of  'orible pink sludge which would drift about and occasional block the pipe, bringing every thing to a halt. This may not have happened to you yet, but........................

Doug

Sorry guys but did a search on the web...its some kind off fuel vent type item...went onto Rimmers website but they don't sell a replacement vent.

Should I just put a plastic cover over it and seal it with an elastic band?

Is it something to do fuel tank pressure equalisation perhaps?

Nautam

On some there is a vent , just a tube to exit under the floor 

Used with non vented cap ,   with a vented cap the short tube was capped with  short rubber capped hose.

Does the fuel filler seal have a hole in it??  Or a solid disc seal. 

If you want it to breath then a rubber hose and lenght of plastic or metal pipe through a floor grommet will be fine

Pete

Well I managed to sort out the shifter (sorry for the Americanism) but if you compare pictures, the kit has made a big difference...the gear lever feels much much better...will test tomorrow.

I've ordered a new fuel sender unit as the old one I have is not very accurate and the same does for the temperature gauge as my meter doesn't move much...

Im also thinking of painting the floor area of the cockpit as it looks quite untidy by hand...should I just paint it with a tin of Damson Red or paint some rust protection, wait for that to dry then paint over this with the damson red?

Nautam 

IMG_9022.JPG

Hi Nautam, If the floor has some visible rust its best to treat first - We all have our own preferences mine is Bilthamber   products and for top coat for the floor  I would use POR 15  - This paint is very expensive but worth it and its fine to brush on - I found the best process is to degrease , treat the rust , degrease then paint 

Hope this helps

Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've had a bit of time today to make a start on the cockpit....took the passenger seat out, old carpets, and rear board...will do one side at a time...some interesting welding on the floorpans but the work is solid enough as car has passed its MOT...found various screws and nuts and god knows where they have come from!

Need to clean the area but whats the best stuff to use to get rid of old carpet adhesive?

Once this area is cleaned out, next step is to degrease and POR 15 the area.

The passenger seat also needs some work...will check the forum to see if anyone has done it before or whether there is a step by step guide on what I should do...frame looks good I think...I've seen kits that are available but will investigate further...one possible option is to see if someone can do it for me if its too difficult to do. 

Nautam

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

IMG_9057.JPG

IMG_9064.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG