2 post lift and small-chassis cars

Colin Lindsay

It was a slight let-down for me when I finally got round to buying a two-post lift for the garage and when it was installed, it wouldn't lift Triumphs.... the front arms would reach the main chassis rails, but the rear ones wouldn't... or the rear ones would and the front ones wouldn't.... even at full extension I was about a foot short on one set of arms. I obviously can't lift the car by the outriggers or sills. 

I got round it by having a length of heavy steel bent to drape over the jacking rubbers of the short arms and bridge the gap between, then with it under the car, measured and marked where the chassis main rails are. These two areas are raised with rubber pads to clear the exhaust and floorpans so the weight of the car is on the main rails, with the other arms sufficiently long to reach the main rails without any help. Trial run this afternoon and it works!! It needs the sharp edges trimmed slightly, then painted and the rubber blocks attached permanently. Now I can do my gearbox and diff oil changes without having to slide under the car on a cold floor...

DSCF5388.jpg.119c372a8c8190a6ef438ea96c3d4807.jpg

• Like 2

The solution to the pile of junk is to build another shed to put it in, worked for me!

Am sure I have seen friends putting spitfires on their 2 poster lifts so will have to see how they are doing it.

i have picked up a cheap four poster so won't  have them issue

I guess I would need the width, to get the Motorhome on the lift:rolleyes:. Ah! I forgot. :(the M-H wont go in the garage. And it`s more than 3.5T. Poo. back to the drawing board!.:unsure:  I opened the garage door to-day. looked at the C**p piled on the chassis, needing to be moved and stored, and closed it again. Any chance it might move itself by mid week?.

Still Jealous though!.