Tyres that REALLY work

Thanks for the reply. The car already had tubes so they were reused. As no one had ever mentioned inner tubes before I suspected Your answers to be the case. My motorbike has off road wire wheels and therefore inner tubes so may be that’s illegal too :rolleyes:

thanks for clearing that up 

Grant 

• 4 weeks later...

I took my Spitfire out for a road test at the weekend now that I've got the engine running (reasonably) well, but had to turn back just after getting up to speed on the main road.  There was a horrible sort of vibration from the rear offside area.  After spending a while checking around the suspension and finding nothing obviously wrong, I decided to check the tyre, and found a huge egg in it.  The tread had started to separate and it was bulging up and out by quite a lot.  The tyres are very cheap looking remoulds of unknown age, and after finding this problem I don't trust them at all. 

So... I'm now in the market for 5 new tyres!  

The current tyres are 165/80(?)/R13  (profile is not marked, so 80% I believe?), but i'd like to change to 165/70/R13 as there seems to be much more choice available.  According to one of the calculators posted on here earlier, that would be a -33mm or 5.5% change down in the rolling radius, which seems quite a lot.

So my question is; is the correct original tyre size for a Mk3 Spitfire 155/80/R13?? so by fitting 165/70/R13 I would now only be about 3% out?

I'm thinking a set of Dunlop Street Response 2's would be good...

20180617_182226.jpg

I think 155/80 is the nearest size to original, though I know a MK3 running 145/80 tyres. 

The 165/70 tyres would work well, and new decent boots will make the car feel much better to drive...the Dunlop's you mention are well liked by a local Triumphist, so a good choice.

• 5 months later...

Hello Mark,

My Freelander studs are 12x1.5 so I needed a 1.5 thread pitch to suit.

I opted for Dunlop D1 wheels and I had to get Tuner nuts that are open ended and secured by the required tool. 

With Minilites, I expect the standard 60 degree taper nuts will be fine. I could not use closed nuts as the ribbing on the wheel is too close to the nut preventing a socket fitting over.

Some wheel nuts have a 1.25" thread pitch and you do not want these.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Mark,

I have a full set of unused closed nuts that came with the D1's - pitch 1.5

Do you already have your wheels ??

If so, I can send one to you next week to try.

Have attached 3x photos to show the nuts - open & closed.

I'm going to sell the complete set, so may be of interest ??

Regards.

Richard.

WN 1.JPG

WN 2.JPG

WN 3.JPG

No, I've not got the wheels yet - the only reason I'm looking now rather than later (I have got the studs, but not fitted) is that they are offering 20% off. A full set of nuts is only £17 or so - less a bit of discount - so about £14 ish. If I don;t buy them at the same time, then its cost plus postage.

You can call me tight if you want!

So, I'm not sure the best way to go - your complete set or a new set.

The black friday sale doesn't end until Monday night, so I do have a couple of days to think about and perhaps call them on Monday.

Mark,

I got my wheels from R&R Alloys who use, amongst others, JBW items. https://www.randr-alloys.co.uk/classic-alloys/

The wheel nuts, I am fairly certain, came free with the wheels - so that is something else to factor in before purchasing any nuts; perhaps a phone call to confirm may be prudent.

Ideally need to get the wheels first and then fit the studs (or vice-versa) before purchasing any additional nuts; which may be unnecessary or this will be a case of cart before the horse.

Have you decided on your wheels yet ??

Regards.

Richard. 

May be worth doing some Google image searches and see if there is any photos with blue body / black wheels.

I have black wheels against a Valencia Blue body and looks very neat IMHO !!