Tyres that REALLY work

I had a bad experience with those Avons about 3 years ago - bought a pair, but one refused to balance and the other wouldn't seal on the rim! After several increasingly irritating trips to the tyre centre I scrapped them and put on a pair of Hankooks which have been great! A work colleague had the same balancing issue with them on his modern. Hope you have more success, Roger.

Gully

Hello All

I know why they were cheap they are old stock (2 years)!

I was going to refuse them but.

A they had already removed my old tyres and fitted one to my spare steel rim( had left the loose wheel with them)

B I am 72 1/2 years old and I thought they will still be good for 5 to 6 years so am I going to care when I am 78/79 if I am still here! or driving Spitty

C the best other prices I got for tyres I can pronounce was £200+ so I have lost 2 years but saved £70 so I recon that's about the same !

Roger

ps I had no problems with the old ones over 30,000 miles and a the fitter said they deteriorate more when in sun light etc not a dark warehouse!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I haven’t looked what tyre size I currently have although they are 13in standard Spit4 wheels. (Standard suspension set up) I’m looking at 4 new falken 832s as recommended above. 

What size should they be or what do people recommend ??

I thankQ 

Grant 

31 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

175/70-13 for the 4.5J rims

I suspect that's what many of us use on both 4.5 and 5 rims - pretty much the same effective rolling radius as the original fitmemt 155 r13s (or 155/80 r13 in modern parlance). Lots of choice of manufacturers too.

Gully

It makes the steering heavier and has very little effect on the dreaded tuck-under over-steer. I actually find my GT6 nicer to drive on original size tyres, and even the Mk1 Vitesse handles no worse on 155s than it did on 175s. But YMMV.

Grant,

My recent tyre purchase for the Vitesse is Dunlop Street Response 2: 165/70/13 - it is an excellent tyre.

Additionally not overly expensive for the quality.

Regards.

Richard.

11 hours ago, Blitz said:

Thanks will look around for 165/70 I think and go the middle ground. Front tyres are getting old and back are prehistoric. :unsure:

Just bear in mind that they will have a smaller rolling radius, so your speedo will read high. Not sure if the mintylamb website calculator is up and running again, but Google the site as there is a calculator on there that will tell you the difference that tyre size will make (it's not huge).

Gully