Tyres that REALLY work

Hah!  All this talk of Pirellis, Michelins, Dunlops, that "really work" - they are all road tyres, designed to last for thousands of miles, and so very hard.

If you want a tyre that REALLY works, go for a Yokohama A048R, 185/60x13, in Medium soft. Preferably on 6J rims.  And get them warm - more than 60C - and the rubber will squidge under your fingers - now that is grip!   Oh,  and PAS is for wimps!     With Yokos, you have to work hard when parking!

JOhn

Doug, John does race his Triumph, and has done for many years.

But John, my point was to recommend tyres that are "accessible" for normal road use, but that I have experience of on track, and shown to offer very good performance. I bet the Yokos would struggle on a very cold (4degree) and damp/wet track. The Michelins would outperform them ;) (took a chap around Silverstone earlier in the week,chilly, wet and he was impressed with them, reckoned they made a very good winter trackday tyre, and was talking about buying them for his tintop, as indeed I will be)

36 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Clive,

I know that very well. I just think this is all getting a bit silly.

Doug

I'll agree with that, I'm still trying to work out how a modern tyre, designed for everyday road use on a family car, would be detrimental to a Triumph compared to a design that went out thirty or forty years ago... 

I'll still draw the line at Luckyland Happygalops, though...

Hi

No disrespect to anyone who is into Track days etc; and all due respect to those who are using their Triumph as regular and or daily drivers, (I doff my hat to you Gents and Ladies). However, my take is that for the sort of use mine will get. Something new, but close to the tyres that where available "in their day". will be more than adequate, and with more than a touch of arthritis, I do not need to be fighting to park it up. IMV, its the old adage "Horses for Courses".

Most of the reading I have done would suggest that most modern tyres are indeed developed in tandem with modern suspension and steering in mind. It`s not just about "stiction" but has to take in many other factors as well?.

Pete

Heavy steering is often down to wider tyres and maybe too soft a pressure. 

All I am trying to point out is good tyres that will do the job when that emergency braking/evasive action in the rain. That is all. And the wet trackday had plenty of simulation for those scenarios.

Colin, I agree. Many things like tyres have developed and improved rubber compounds and tread patterns must make for better tyres. Just beware the ditchfinders?

Help, I am not going back to C21 or Groundhog crossply tyres. As fitted by Standard Triumph. e.g. Herald, Vitesse 6, Toledo. 

At least they did fit Goodyear G800 radials on the GT6, 2 Litre Vitesse and TR5/6.

Some modern tyres suit front wheel drive. Pull not push and hence they tend to follow ruts when used on rear wheel drive. Clive's Ditchfinders.

Dave 

10 hours ago, clive said:

All I am trying to point out is good tyres that will do the job when that emergency braking/evasive action in the rain. That is all.

Clive,

Personally, I got that first time around with your opening comment - very interesting and thanks for taking the time to post.

No substitute for hands-on experience !!

Regards.

Richard.

11 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Clive,

Good God! :o You take your car out in the rain?!! 

Doug

You mean  other people don't:unsure:

Talking of which, the car is VERY dirty at the moment. Thinking of getting the sponge out (for the car, before you get over excited)

Richard, thank you. All I was trying to do is be helpful....having had a very nasty experience in a spitfire, where some oldish tyres were possibly partly responsible. Then again, diesel on a damp road does have predictable results. Still, it gave me the chance to build the car I now have:)

7 hours ago, clive said:

Then again, diesel on a damp road does have predictable results.

Hi.

Experience not to be repeated!. In my Case BMW (Bike) went one way I went the other, Bye Bye to a very expensive set of Leathers and Helmet. Fortunately that was the sum total of damage outside of a new Fairing, Silencer and Leg Pegs, covered by insurance.

Diesel on a road surface will unseat even the best of "sticky" tyres, It`s akin to driving on ice. Recent bad weather had even the local 4x4 Wags doing circles in their "posemobiles". Why do they need a Chelsea Tractor, to take the kids 800yards to school?.

Status, me boy, status. Why wear cotton when you can wear silk, or eat Galaxy chocolate, or drive an MG when you can drive a Triumph, or whatever the simile is.

You have to show people that you have 'arrived' and I don't mean just outside the school gates. It's a kind of moneyed vulgarity, a nouveau riche sort of thing.

Personally I prefer the type - and I know at least two - who wear old tatty pullovers, drive real bangers, and can write a cheque with a very impresive string of zeros at the end, that won't bounce either.

...and in respect to the OP: you'd be surprised at how many Chelsea Tractors are running on bald tyres, well over due for a service, and with unpaid road tax.

• Haha 1

I had a Discovery (2006) for 7 years from about 2009 - it wasn't a Chelsea tractor by any stretch - in that time it did 174000miles with a total of 234k on it when I sold it last year. But I agree many are used for the school run. 

Problem now is that ones that are 10years old are getting into the hands of the knuckle draggers and kids who can't afford to spend the money on maintenance - they are still £40-50k cars with the associated servicing costs - the fact they are £4k now is neither here nor there.

On 13/04/2018 at 8:54 AM, Colin Lindsay said:

I'll agree with that, I'm still trying to work out how a modern tyre, designed for everyday road use on a family car, would be detrimental to a Triumph compared to a design that went out thirty or forty years ago... 

I'll still draw the line at Luckyland Happygalops, though...

I wonder if there's a prize for silliest tyre name.

i am sure that you could get Ling-Long Crazy Horses or similar

On 12/04/2018 at 9:40 PM, JohnD said:

Hah!  All this talk of Pirellis, Michelins, Dunlops, that "really work" - they are all road tyres, designed to last for thousands of miles, and so very hard.

If you want a tyre that REALLY works, go for a Yokohama A048R, 185/60x13, in Medium soft. Preferably on 6J rims.  And get them warm - more than 60C - and the rubber will squidge under your fingers - now that is grip!   Oh,  and PAS is for wimps!     With Yokos, you have to work hard when parking!

JOhn

As one of the two Vitesses there, if you'd been at CC on the 4th John on your Yokos, pretty sure we'd have given you a good run for your money....... the Falken SN832s are flippin' fantastic in the wet.  Amazing amount of grip and very benign & progressive when they do let go - which is just as well when wild youth is having a go for the first time :unsure:.  Allowed us to mix it with much more powerful cars.  Several cars there with barely road legal "track" tyres and all struggling with the conditions.  Pretty sure that the Sprint that had a "interview" with the Quarry tyre wall was wearing them......

Whole different story in the dry obviously......  Soft sidewalls mean they're rather squirmy and noisy on the limit in the dry and tend to hop when they let go.

Nick

I don't drive my cars like a tit so I always try and find a good rain tyre. My thought is I won't find their summer grip limit but it's the rain limit I'll find first. I ran Hankook 4 seasons again fine in summer for me no problem but bloody brilliant in the low grip cold  winter weather. 

My comment was because there cannot the diference between rtoad tyres that there is between them and race tyres.   Soft Yokos are great but short lived, and no one should buy them for a road car, they are marked "For Competition use only".     But the discussion was about a track day!

On wet performance, I've rarely needed wet tyres on track.   Last November at Brands, the tarmac was slick with diesel and not amount of fancy sipes and grooves could have made a difference;   once at Silverstone, I found myself sideslipping on the straight in heavy rain, but that time the Yokos were all ready worn down; and once at Snett, when it tipped down all day, I wore the road tyres I run for road work in the race and went faster than I had in qualifying!   So there's something in what you say, but I submit M'Lud, not  a lot!   Unless there's a whole lot of rain!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

This has been an interesting thread and got me thinking what tyres to fit as mine are 8 years old and off to Spain and Classic Le Mans in a few weeks!

I have been looking at all the options you all talked of and in the end thought sod it I will have the same again as they have never given me any worries on the road and if it is really wet I slow down and it stays in the garage in the cold weather.

So I an having these fitted tomorrow and it is about £20 cheaper than 7 years ago! and that is the fitted and balanced price they would do a free 4 wheel alignment check but I am taking loose wheels

Product Price Quantity Total
AVON - 175/70R13 AVON ZT5 82T (CAR SUMMER) £33.04 4 £132.16

Roger
  • Thanks 1