Reversing Light Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

My Vitesse has a  working reversing light but the light output is next to nothing - I have a  "vintage" Wipac 6ins spot and was considering adding this to the circuit + a relay. Is this legal ? My understanding is that the new MOT rules in May will include testing reversing lights 

Any input appreciated 

Paul 

My understanding  is that it is ok to have a spotlight facing rearwards, and used for reversing, as long it is never used when driving forwards.

I don't know if reversing lights are to be tested for the MOT.

Is it worth trying to get better output from the original reversing light, rather than going to the trouble of fitting a completely separate unit?

Tom

have a feeling there used to be maybe in the construction and use rules that they should not exceed 21watts 

but thats probably a bit historic 

if you use a larger lamp i would add a warning lamp on the dash 

and a fog lamp bulb would be best giving a flat beam rather than a pencil

Pete

I think the reversing light testing bit is for very recent cars? 

Besides, as this is not a safety issue per se, you could just remove the fuse at MoT time.....

However, the lamp may benefit a lot from a decent clean, and it may be possible to fit a higher output bulb, maybe an LED? Besides, the wattage thing is troubling, a 21 watt LED would be VERY bright!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

I think the reversing light testing bit is for very recent cars? 

Besides, as this is not a safety issue per se, you could just remove the fuse at MoT time.....

However, the lamp may benefit a lot from a decent clean, and it may be possible to fit a higher output bulb, maybe an LED? Besides, the wattage thing is troubling, a 21 watt LED would be VERY bright!

Hi Clive , thanks for heads up for led conversion , though I will clean the lens first ! . I found this site Classic Car LEDS if you dig around you will find a 52 page PDF which shows the equivalent LED for your classic 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

I agree with all the feedback and it has given me an idea for an article in the Courier. As fellow reg sec know after a number of years it is difficult to think of areas you have not already covered in the past. Though some subjects that are well over ten years ago can be worth running again with a few up-dates.

Paul, there is a reflector behind the reversing light lens and the number plate lens are fragile.   

Dave   

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

,1st car ive ever had with just one and thats on the passenger side...hopeless

All my Peugeots (3) had one reversing light, but the rear light clusters were identical with a white lens on both sides. Taking the drivers side cluster off revealed an empty but wired up socket. It appears in UK you only need one reversing light, but in other countries two. So Peugeot saved money by (A) having a universal loom and (B) not putting a second bulb in UK cars. Cheapskates!

Doug

some of our truck clusters had a similar , bulb holder was in place but no circuit board to connect to it 

maybe its a fench frog syndrome  thing ??

it seems theres two views on these   some like to see where they are reversing .   some just want to show you are reversing

Nuts  !!!  seems applicable

Pete

On 30/04/2018 at 5:14 PM, Paul H said:

My Vitesse has a  working reversing light but the light output is next to nothing - I have a  "vintage" Wipac 6ins spot and was considering adding this to the circuit + a relay. Is this legal ? My understanding is that the new MOT rules in May will include testing reversing lights

My Vitesse has a working puny reverse light AND a period Lucas 5" spot. It's very nice when reversing. The MOT man has never queried it so far and come the new rules in May  the car doesn't need an MOT so I doubt he'll quibble then, either.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

My spit has had 5 watt LED "bulbs" fitted for quite a few years now. Actually illuminate the area behind as directional.

Will post a picture tonight when it gets dark.

Was thinking of changing the offside one to red for fog as one is plenty enough lumens.

Cheers,

Iain.