Steering clamp information please

I have noticed a very small amount of free play when I move my steering wheel from side to side. The free play is definedley in the steering clamp and not the U J.  I have followed the WM and tightened the two bolts first then tightened the Allen screw, and locked that with the luck nut.  But there is still about 1/16 free play.  Is this ok or shall I try another meathod of eliminating the play.  Any ideas anyone.  

PS I have got the flat side of the column inline with the Allen screw

regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew , you need to replace the steering bushes . There is one at the top of the coulmn and one at the bottom . Its easier is you remove the steering column - Undo the top bolts and the lower clamp and the steering column will pull away - Though first you need to remove the steering wheel & detach the bullet electrical connectors .

You dont say what car you have . I replaced the bushes in my Vitesse Mk2 recently - check this post

Paul 

youre right the slip joint should not have any play,  if the centre screw is nipped up then its look elsewhere as paul suggests 

nothing stopping you giving the lockscrew a bit more torque , but its there to collapse it cant be super rigid but to eliminate the  assy its ok to tighten a little more, and reset when you have a answer.

Pete 

Hi all sorry my car is a 13/60 herald.  Column bushes should not resolve the left to right steering play shoul it.  I thought bushes worn bushes are only going to effect up and down vertical play.  Please correct me if I am wrong

regards

andrew

Wilst most wear in this column bush tends to be in the vertical plane probably due tomthe weight of the wheel

But no any bush wear can be up down or side to side

Drill the lugs off the old bush and press/push new bush in ontop of the old one

Some new bushes are unfortunately worse than the worn one

Search    as other posts on here have suggestions, including uprated and ebay and some silly prices are available

I think Andrew is describing an issue with turning the steering wheel left to right it seems the sliding clamp is not pulling up tight. Not sure what the cure would be other than to take the whole assembly out and dress the flat  part of the top column ???  

Hello Ben

yes I am talking about turning the wheel left and right. I cannot see how I can cure this slight play, there is definitely a bit of free play when you turn the wheel when nothing happens 

regards

Andrew

Hi

When turning the wheel, What actually moves?. The whole column assembly?, Or just the shaft within?.1/16" on the top of the steering wheel would seem to be a very small amount, definitely not an MOT fail anyway. If it is bushes then replacing them would seem the only answer?.

The "Canley" illustration shows what I assume is the bush (4) (described as "Clip Cancelling?" 140549) which appears to be the only "wearing part".

My Steering column is currently hung up in the garage, awaiting refurb; (along with the rest of the car!). I will take a look later.

Whilst on the subject, has anyone ever done an Electric Power Steering mod?. Might greatly assist with the "Old Arthritis"?

Pete

Electric Pstg has been fitted to a number of cars, Doug has one in his area

Amd to really check rotational free play i would clamp the lower colmn with some moles  to  prove its realy the slip, joint 

Or lower down the column    most play is the uj or in the  rack 

Clamp the lower and it eliminates or proves its slip join  or hand wheel boss 

Pete

It is probably cheaper, and easier, to just sell the car and buy a Stag. I jest not. 

A friend did this, and hasn't looked back. Misses the drive/sportiness of his 2.5 spitfire, but now enjoys the ability to use his car far more. Especially as his "handler" likes it too.

That is my plan for when it comes to it.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, clive said:

It is probably cheaper, and easier, to just sell the car and buy a Stag. I jest not. 

A friend did this, and hasn't looked back. Misses the drive/sportiness of his 2.5 spitfire, but now enjoys the ability to use his car far more. Especially as his "handler" likes it too.

That is my plan for when it comes to it.

Sounds like a good idea, Fall`s down when you look at the prices of DECENT Stags. :(

As I have the whole plot to rebuild anyway, incorporating it may not be so problematical. Deciding the "Donor" could be the tricky part. Some small Vauxhall's and Fiats?, are early contenders perhaps?. Or a "write off" later car?. The Electronic "brains" could need reprogramming?. It would be interesting to hear if/from anyone who has done it.

As for the O-P. just spent 1/2 an hour "playing" with my Column, there appears to be NO "play", indicating wear in the bearings, at all in the column but fore and aft movement is nearly 1/8". (having trouble loading the Pic`s)

A chap (Roy) who lives in West Sussex fitted one to his spitfire. I have driven the car, made the steering very easy.

You may be able to track him down? But I think to have q car converted is 3k, but that figure may be my mind playing tricks. DIY is possible, but not as simple as it seems. 

The price difference is not that great, with the advantage that a stag is all-round easier to get in/out etc. Plus space for golf clubs.

21 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Pete,

I knew it was here somewhere, a wonderful thing the search facility!

Doug

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Good suggestion of clamping the lower shaft, I will have a go this weekend and report back.  Thanks for the idea

regards

Andrew

Hi

Forgot there had been a previous post! (And I even Posted!!). Mind 2016 is many "sleeps" ago. Been looking at the like of "Commercial" Units, and the cost is the factor £700+ (with Vat). The attraction of a Stag?, Well for me part of the object of the Herald is the fact that it is smaller and lighter and in theory could be towed behind my Motorhome, to more distant Venues would be a "No, No" for "er indoors" these days. And thereby makes a better bet, for MY particular Life-style.

Just a further a thought on the original posting, The Clamp(s) on the U-J joint are fully Tight?. If not that would introduce "Slack" into the system, and they are not easy to get at "in-situ". Clamping the lower shaft would show that up?.

Pete