When to dump old fuel

Adrian

Hello chaps, when is old fuel old? Mines been in the tank over a year, should I drain and put in fresh before trying a start? Would a 50% refresh with premium help or octane boost?

could I transfer the old to the modern?

thanks Adrian

A 50% refresh will probably be adequate provided it still smells more or less like petrol.

Wouldn't recommend putting the old fuel in your modern - but your Honda or B & S lawnmower will drink almost anything.  My old sidevalve Honda even ran on E85 (though was a sod to start from cold), but draws the line at heating oil.......

Nick

My GT6 sat In my garage for 20 years and started every year for around the first 15. In recent times it's in the garage October to April and runs a bit lumpy first time to the petrol station. A top up "Super Unleaded" sorts it out. As to putting old fuel in the modern, a galleon or two in a 15 galleon tank makes no difference, (unless it's a diesel! :lol:) Where else are you going to dispose of it? Most dumps take old oil, but not fuel.

Doug

I have never had any old fuel issues , even if left unloved for a winter period,

It can and does go stale but never has that stopped the vitesse6 or 2000 ever from starting  since I got hooked in 2002

Leave it untouched for a few years and its a very different story , but on a reasonably regularly used with occasional lay ups 

Dont worry about it   

Pete

I'm another voter for the don't worry too much party. I leave mine over winter, with the ocasional starts to get rid of the damp and just to hear the engine. I try not to leave it with too much petrol in and just add fresh in spring.

If you do want to recycle the old stuff put it in the mower, if gou have a petrol one of course.

There are additives that are supposed to preserve the ocataniness of the fuel, mainly sold for lawnmowers and the like.  My engine has a CR of 10.5, and winter before last, it pinked until I topped it up with fresh.  This last winter, I ran the tank low, added a suitable dose of Briggs & Stratton's Fuel Fit, and ran the engine to flush the mixture right through.  Started first time this spring and no pinking.  It's not pricey: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton-Additive-Stabiliser-992381/dp/B003374F9E

Other additives are available, no doubt!

John