Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

• 3 weeks later...

I’m looking to do some remedial bodywork here on the bottom of my B post. Just to slow down the rust as much as I can and make it look better. 
I don’t like the look of this at all. 
should I pull it off and treat underneath and fill and paint or sand it and treat and fill it? 

23CE86A0-294A-4058-8DB3-CAA31DBF1724.jpeg

115B7A50-FF9C-452B-B1E5-BDA56DF7E633.jpeg

You just couldn't leave it alone!!

If you want the easiest option then sand it down, even just wire brush it back to solid metal; mix filler and bridge any holes with filler mesh, then fill, smooth down, sand to the correct profile and a quick coat of paint. Might not look the best, depending on how you do it, but it's the quickest option that doesn't involve repair sections and welding.

I'd guess that entire length is gone too, so the option is patch a small area, patch a large area, or replace.

• Like 1

maybe I could weld a plate on there. My welding skills are very poor though. Also i'm on the road and there's a bloody van parked outside my house so i'm outside a neighbour's and her children are playing outside!

Dammit I need a garage! 

if you feel you  need to take the cill off its held with self taper(or should be) along the door shut there are two hidden under where you are working and   if they have lasted about three straps across to the side rail

so you can spray them off the car 

if you use a filler i have had good results with Marine Epoxy  it does not soak up water like cheaper   fillers 

takes abit of sanding but lasts for years  

Pete

21 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Looking at the standard of welding from YouTube video's - you have done a good job - and anyway it seems to me that you don't need to be a good welder, just good with a grinder 🤣

I once heard “grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t”

it’s actually my first proper try. So I’m actually quite pleased. On last sand and it’ll be paint time

image.jpg

51 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I’ve seen a lot worse to be fair. It will need a top coat fairly quickly as I think undercoat is porous 

You are right Mark, it is porous. Might idea to warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer Paula, before putting on the top coat.

Tony.