Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Hi Paula

As it's cold and damp today I'm trying to get out of cleaning the car so I thought I'd surf the forum.

I'm no expert but looking at your video it looks like I can see the needle retaining screw hole on the left hand carb, in that case I believe the piston is 90 degrees out. The two slots at the bottom of the piston should face the inlet manifold in which case the retaining screw hole is facing the side of the carb? If it is wrong then the diaphragm is also not seated correctly.

I'm sure 'the experts' in our forum will either shoot me down or agree. 

Iain

PS in the late 60's/early 70's I used to go to the Westcliff Hotel Essex as they had some great groups there, Focus (Dutch), Vinegar Joe (early Elkie Brooks), Roxy Music, Can (German) etc. Then there was also the Kursaal Southend, I saw Hawkwind in about '71/72 and they still had  Stacey naked and daubed in body paint dancing on stage....aaah the memories!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Hi Paula

As it's cold and damp today I'm trying to get out of cleaning the car so I thought I'd surf the forum.

I'm no expert but looking at your video it looks like I can see the needle retaining screw hole on the left hand carb, in that case I believe the piston is 90 degrees out. The two slots at the bottom of the piston should face the inlet manifold in which case the retaining screw hole is facing the side of the carb? If it is wrong then the diaphragm is also not seated correctly.

I'm sure 'the experts' in our forum will either shoot me down or agree. 

Iain

PS in the late 60's/early 70's I used to go to the Westcliff Hotel Essex as they had some great groups there, Focus (Dutch), Vinegar Joe (early Elkie Brooks), Roxy Music, Can (German) etc. Then there was also the Kursaal Southend, I saw Hawkwind in about '71/72 and they still had  Stacey naked and daubed in body paint dancing on stage....aaah the memories!!!!

Oh interesting.

I've just bought a pair of carbs from a chap on facebook for £50. I'm hoping to service them and learn more about this voodoo.

77401453_373315353421239_5226398788851073024_n.jpg.6e532a5113bd5264ad321e9ef51016b4.jpg 

• Like 1

Ah, Strombergs, nice.

I put mine through the dishwasher, not entirely a success, the ali bits came out fine, but the steel bits started to turn orange before my eyes😲

A good site explaining  Stroms  is buckeye triumphs, theirs are the bigger version fitted to USA TR6s but essentially the same.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Ah, Strombergs, nice.

I put mine through the dishwasher, not entirely a success, the ali bits came out fine, but the steel bits started to turn orange before my eyes😲

A good site explaining  Stroms  is buckeye triumphs, theirs are the bigger version fitted to USA TR6s but essentially the same.

Doug

Oh great.

I'll get a kit and give them a good polish.

Worth cleaning the carbs first with something like Gunk and brake cleaner, then strip one carb at a time to determine what is actually required, before splashing out. However at least you know there is a full kit to fit, if so required.

Regards.

Richard. 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes  look first.......... buy later 

you may just need a spindle with wears first,  

you can check out individual parts on places like 

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/cf/vehicle/list/?manufacturer=Triumph&vehicle=Vitesse

and as doug suggests     https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/carburetors

Pete

The Zenith Carb site is great

• 4 weeks later...

I've finished the carbs, I ended up getting a sonic cleaner. They are now the cleanest carbs in christendom!
Pictures soon! I'll probably sell these and then do the same to the original ones.
In the meantime I failed an MOT on the handbrake. I've asked the garage to fix that for me as i'm guessing it just needs adjustment on the cable as the brakes passed with the pedal and it will be much easier on a ramp.
I also got an advisory for a front wheel bearing. Can i do this without special tools like pullers and presses?

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

• Like 1

What was the wheel bearing advisory for? Excessive play, or 'rumble' from wear? The former is a typical 'modern' MoT result from someone who doesn't understand taper bearings!

Assuming the front wheel bearings are the same set up as the GT6, then no special tools required. The races tap out (and in) and I've not needed a puller to remove the bearings from the stub axle - only a light interference fit. Club shop sells bearing packs with the correct felt seal and cup - there are some oddities around.

Gully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gully said:

What was the wheel bearing advisory for? Excessive play, or 'rumble' from wear? The former is a typical 'modern' MoT result from someone who doesn't understand taper bearings!

Assuming the front wheel bearings are the same set up as the GT6, then no special tools required. The races tap out (and in) and I've not needed a puller to remove the bearings from the stub axle - only a light interference fit. Club shop sells bearing packs with the correct felt seal and cup - there are some oddities around.

Gully

Fantastic!
I'll check when i get the car back

many dont realise the front hubs MUST have some play( end float)  the spec is 0.002" to a wide 0.008"

you cant really measure this  with any sense 

its simple to adjust , the hardest is getting the cap off the hub, takes a bit of screwdriver and tapping  

in the hub you will see a castle nut held with a split pin , ( need to be on the jack to set this ) remove the split pin , turn nut lightly to nip its up, no gorilla hands 

back the nut one flat and maybe a little to re align the pin hole  fit pin ,

hold wheel top and bottom and you should feel a small amount or 'rock'

at 0.002" you just feel the rock   at the max 0.008" you would find some big rock ....its going to fall off  syndrome  

15 mins and jobs done  

Pete

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

many dont realise the front hubs MUST have some play( end float)  the spec is 0.002" to a wide 0.008"

you cant really measure this  with any sense 

its simple to adjust , the hardest is getting the cap off the hub, takes a bit of screwdriver and tapping  

in the hub you will see a castle nut held with a split pin , ( need to be on the jack to set this ) remove the split pin , turn nut lightly to nip its up, no gorilla hands 

back the nut one flat and maybe a little to re align the pin hole  fit pin ,

hold wheel top and bottom and you should feel a small amount or 'rock'

at 0.002" you just feel the rock   at the max 0.008" you would find some big rock ....its going to fall off  syndrome  

15 mins and jobs done  

Pete

They are pretty good down there. But i'll definitely have a wiggle 

There was a well known member of another Triumph club that kept having failures of his front wheel bearings, always at awkward times and never long after the previous ones, but never in our presence.

Then one day they failed whilst on a group trip to France, and we saw him tightening them up with a 3ft breaker bar after replacement

. Did not have any more failures after that... 🙂