Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Pete,

I know, this is the second time, different guys, that Burlen have been less than helpful when getting info about Strombergs. When I said their CDSE starter looks exactly the same as my CDS he insisted it is a different part number for a CDS so wouldn't fit and they don't have one of those. I explained I know I have to change the disc as their starter disc only has one set of graduated holes but he suggested I just re-bush and I lost the will to argue. The conversation was all very pleasant but unhelpful! 

Iain

• 2 months later...

Hello.

Well what a horrible time! I need a distraction. I'm going to set my valve clearances. The manual says 0.01 or .25mm.

Is that still true with modern fuel?

Should i do it warm or cold?

Also is there a clever way to do a 6? I've only ever done a 4 before. That was an add up to 9 thing. 

I'm also going to replace the cork gasket. Would you guys use sealant on one side? I didn't last time and I think it would have been easier to use some (and I saw Edd China using some).
Annnnnnd finally. I was thinking of stripping and polishing the rocker cover. Has anyone tried that? I'm guessing it will rust without some coating.

Hope you are all well!

its 0.010"   all valves    COLD   

Paula     what fuel you use has no bearing on tappet gaps 

there may be a wear step on the rocker pad which upsets the gap measuring  

use rule of 13    1 down do 12     3 down do 10   etc  

undo lock nut 1/4 turn  use a good sized screwdriver turn screw to just nip the feeler  relock the half nut 

no gorilla stuff just a firm nip 

if you find theres a tappy one use an old feeler in with it idling, to find the noisy one and close the gap a little more

alternative is you can get both rockers in a balance  one goes down  as one comes up  then set the opposite firing order pair to set the gap on both rockers at the same time so you dont have to turn the engine over so much

If you strip the cover to bare metal you  need to use a clear laquer coat to stop  rusting   or wipe with oily rag each week

• Like 1

Paula I don't know there availability in UK but eons ago here in Melbourne I picked up a chromed 6 potter rocker cover from a Triumph recycler very cheap.

The chrome rocker cover was fitted to some big saloon models, worth asking around I think it looks good and preferable to the alloy units. being the rocker cover and a Triumph there would have been enough oil mist around to minimize any external rust so should be redeemable.

Peter T

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Truman said:

Paula I don't know there availability in UK but eons ago here in Melbourne I picked up a chromed 6 potter rocker cover from a Triumph recycler very cheap.

The chrome rocker cover was fitted to some big saloon models, worth asking around I think it looks good and preferable to the alloy units. being the rocker cover and a Triumph there would have been enough oil mist around to minimize any external rust so should be redeemable.

Peter T

Self lubricating. Mine does that quite well!

What Pete said, but if you still have a noisy tappet you may have  rocker face worn in the middle. So when you stuck your flat feeler in you set the gap too wide. You can run the engine and stick the feeler in (easier than you might think) and the noise stops on the guilty party.

Pete says there are round, feeler gauge wires, which would eliminate having to do the above, but I’ve never found them.

I lust after an ally rocker cover, they are a universal fit to all 6 pots, except the GT6 mk3 ☹️ Where the rocker cover is VERY close to the bonnet. 
Also many do not have the fire trap, internal on mine, external on other models. 

I have stripped and repainted my original cover, I used a rattle can (Jaguar silver, the Jaguar will have to go without)

Spray in a dust free environment! I got a sort of stippled effect first time, had to strip it and do it again. Where does all the dust come from?!!! ☹️

Doug

• Like 1

I use a thin smear of Blue Hylamar or Stag Well Seal on the gasket, as it doesn't set, and as I already have some.

If using a sealant, then maybe just on the cover, as easier to remove without damaging gasket, as I have found they can be re used, if you only tighten down a bit to compress the cork slightly.  Don't know what others think of this?. 

Edited by daverclasper
  • Like 1

I used sealant on the cover side and nothing on the engine side. Hopefully that shouldn't leak.

The tappets all needed a little adjustment. None of them much at all, but the engine sounds and runs lovely. I'm sure I can hear the difference.

As for the polishing I think it went really well. personal preference I suppose. I used some turtle wax and then a smear of oil at the end. Hopefully that will stop the rust.  It was quite pitted in areas, so it has what i'm going to call an honest finish. 😁80DC7466-42E5-451E-B80C-E1AAC9426BE2.thumb.jpeg.dd23f0f472a6881ba95e957e2c45d2c0.jpeg4B923808-5FB7-460A-BFDD-6F4DE10D041B.thumb.jpeg.4ff230fa333a3fb5fff69d741a6964c5.jpeg

5009589D-DCAB-4586-A8CA-CDA03ACEA557.thumb.jpeg.3a1edfa3e6aca8967c49f67139d567b5.jpeg08AAEC05-83C7-47A3-B93D-AFA4747EA205.thumb.jpeg.97d83a72086b99ca0d1263de6c0c5cfd.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Graham C said:

Polished grinder and rocker cover both very impressive.

Interesting extension for the polished.

Graham

It's to convert the grinder thread to a spike for the mops. I don't use it anymore as the mops will screw straight onto the shaft now. The leather has given enough.

28 minutes ago, Paula said:

It's to convert the grinder thread to a spike for the mops. I don't use it anymore as the mops will screw straight onto the shaft now. The leather has given enough.

They do come off though, but not at speed..... The buffer justs rolls somewhere you can't reach it grrrr!!

Tony.

• Haha 1

Paula,

I don't know Allegros from a hole in the ground, but many say that is where they should be.

But a quick Google shows that people advertise "AUSTIN 1000-Series MK II 1800 A110 A60 ALLEGRO Distributor Electronic Conversion Kit Positive earth "  (my emphasis) .   Could it be that the car this came from had a positive earth?    If that were so, and as the face says it's a "transistor" item, then polarity is very important for function.

Apart from the purchase price, you have nothing to lose by reversing your connections.

John

• Like 1

Just now, JohnD said:

Paula,

I don't know Allegros from a hole in the ground, but many say that is where they should be.

But a quick Google shows that people advertise "AUSTIN 1000-Series MK II 1800 A110 A60 ALLEGRO Distributor Electronic Conversion Kit Positive earth "  (my emphasis) .   Could it be that the car this came from had a positive earth?    If that were so, and as the face says it's a "transistor" item, then polarity is very important for function.

Apart from the purchase price, you have nothing to lose by reversing your connections.

John

STAND BY!