Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

2 hours ago, Paula said:

can the gearbox be removed up into the car or would I need a ramp?

No need for a ramp - the gearbox has to be removed up through the car. You'll need to jack (one of) the rear wheels off the ground to allow you to rotate the propshaft to undo all the bolts, and putting the front on blocks makes access to the bottom clutch housing bolts much easier. Also, remove the front passenger seat.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

No need for a ramp - the gearbox has to be removed up through the car. You'll need to jack (one of) the rear wheels off the ground to allow you to rotate the propshaft to undo all the bolts, and putting the front on blocks makes access to the bottom clutch housing bolts much easier. Also, remove the front passenger seat.

Lovely.

I can do that. Probably change the clutch too!

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Also, remove the front passenger seat.

I've found the easiest way to remove seat is by the 2 bolts that attach seat to sliding runners frame.  There's 2 holes on each seat bracket, use the rear hole for door side bracket and front for gearbox side (I think it's that way round), this allows the seat to tilt inwards and avoid contact with windscreen pillar.

Others prefer to take the whole lot out that's bolted to that raised floor section, though the captive nuts on underneath are often siezed, and more of a general palava, iv'e found.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I've found the easiest way to remove seat is by the 2 bolts that attach seat to sliding runners frame.  There's 2 holes on each seat bracket, use the rear hole for door side bracket and front for gearbox side (I think it's that way round), this allows the seat to tilt inwards and avoid contact with windscreen pillar.

Others prefer to take the whole lot out that's bolted to that raised floor section, though the captive nuts on underneath are often siezed, and more of a general palava, iv'e found.  

Excellent.
I was wondering. Hopefully I can get on with it before too long!

1 minute ago, dougbgt6 said:

Another thread reveals the club should are working from home and going in once a week to despatch, so delivery might be slow. Worth ringing and finding out.

Doug

Good point.

I’m not in a rush though. I imagine it’ll be a month before I’ll be thinking of taking the gearbox up to Luton.😢

clutch  well theres a snag, if the unit is original 1600 t is a coil clutch cover  not overly available or has a whopping ££££   to it 

cheapest option is to drill the flywheel to change dowel locations fit a 2 ltr diaphragm unit but will need a 2 ltr throw out carrier ,    so a bit of homework here , the club do not sell a 1600 clutch 

canley and rimmer list one 

bring flywheel and i can drill it to take the new dowel positions , i have 2ltr clutch spare  but need a  2 ltr carrier   so we look for  second hand one 

if thats a way forward ,       more decisions   !!!

to get the box off  its a d type overdrive  its quite a weight  i would remove the seat and runners  and steering wheel 

if you work from the passenger side you could leave the stg wheel in place  , +  Robs idea pop front up on kerb or timber  there is only a small number of bolts underside

jack to support the back of the engine ,  remove  tin cover on prop tunnel to get at the prop bolts ,  two nuts and a cable to remove the heater outlet box above the tunnel 

1/2 2af for all bell hsg.  and prop,    9/16af for starter motor   

and bobs your uncle  ...who said that 

Pete

21 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

clutch  well theres a snag, if the unit is original 1600 t is a coil clutch cover  not overly available or has a whopping ££££   to it 

cheapest option is to drill the flywheel to change dowel locations fit a 2 ltr diaphragm unit but will need a 2 ltr throw out carrier ,    so a bit of homework here , the club do not sell a 1600 clutch 

canley and rimmer list one 

bring flywheel and i can drill it to take the new dowel positions , i have 2ltr clutch spare  but need a  2 ltr carrier   so we look for  second hand one 

if thats a way forward ,       more decisions   !!!

to get the box off  its a d type overdrive  its quite a weight  i would remove the seat and runners  and steering wheel 

if you work from the passenger side you could leave the stg wheel in place  , +  Robs idea pop front up on kerb or timber  there is only a small number of bolts underside

jack to support the back of the engine ,  remove  tin cover on prop tunnel to get at the prop bolts ,  two nuts and a cable to remove the heater outlet box above the tunnel 

1/2 2af for all bell hsg.  and prop,    9/16af for starter motor   

and bobs your uncle  ...who said that 

Pete

What could possibly go wrong?

i suppose I’ll just have to wait and see when I ‘pop’ the gearbox off.

I’m pretty sure I have everything I need even instructions!

cheers!

5 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Misinformed you a bit regarding seat removal, Pete's right, best to remove the runners as well, as will be in the way.

Not so much for the gearbox snagging on them, and maybe causing damage, as for kneeling on them by accident, and boy does it hurt.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Paula    they are available new but a call to canley about their used stock clearance may get one for a good price   my clutch has done about 5k or less no idea why i have it spare but i can put your name on it for peanuts 

new     https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-vitesse-vitesse-mkii-clutch/

Pete

Peanuts sounds good! That’s the 2ltr one right? So I’ll save money in the long run too. I’ll wait until I’ve got the box off (post apocalypse) and then I can order everything to make that work.

it was “restored” just before I bought it, so maybe the PO already converted the flywheel. There is pvc tape on the wires to the overdrive switch, which makes me think it’s been out relatively recently.

who makes what is always a theme to ponder but B & B were bought up by First line  and parts made to OE spec (they say) much is UK manufactured 

https://www.borgandbeck.com/

https://www.borgandbeck.com/Products#ClutchComponents

Automotive Aftermarket car and truck parts Supplier Borg & Beck

In 2006, the Borg & Beck brand was purchased by First Line Ltd, who have invested heavily in new product development to bring the range up to date and increase the product portfolio.
Quality · ‎See our products · ‎About · ‎Jobs at Borg & Beck

Pete
note canley offer a recon ???  coil cover kit  at £65   and new £122  no idea who's , and the  diaphragm i have is ex canley supply , i seem to remember they used a co called coventry clutch but doesnt seem to ring any bells now 

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

who makes what is always a theme to ponder but B & B were bought up by First line  and parts made to OE spec (they say) much is UK manufactured 

I have just read a lot about people with Triumphs having clutch problems Pete. I suppose a lot of it is down to rumours. I know when i had my garage i would only fit Laycock, or i would let the customer supply what they wanted then there would be no comeback on me. Just thinking about Paula doing the job at the roadside.

Tony.

if the cover is ok and the disc it can all be reused , this is obviouslt the best outcome 

as a clue   a  new  coil clutch disc is 0.33" thick (new) when the facings  are nipped in a vice .

(this just puts some compression on the wavy sprung hub disc )     

whilst you can fit a diaphragm disc in a coil cover you  MUST NOT  as a coil disc is thicker than a diaphragm disc and this would really upset pedal and clamp loads 

yes its a look see when the time comes and the car is in bits all over the road  ha !!

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

if the cover is ok and the disc it can all be reused , this is obviouslt the best outcome 

as a clue   a  new  coil clutch disc is 0.33" thick (new) when the facings  are nipped in a vice .

(this just puts some compression on the wavy sprung hub disc )     

whilst you can fit a diaphragm disc in a coil cover you  MUST NOT  as a coil disc is thicker than a diaphragm disc and this would really upset pedal and clamp loads 

yes its a look see when the time comes and the car is in bits all over the road  ha !!

Pete

My poor neighbours!