What size steering wheel

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

New caps or complete mechanisms are fortunately available from Mota Lita at surprisingly cheap prices. Makes me think this must happen quite often.  :angry:

For those who find themselves with a broken horn push Rimmers also sell them. RBs have the Triumph logo and of course are more expensive than Mota Lita.  :lol:

db

When I was 20 I wrote off my GT6. I kept the steering wheel as a memento. 34 years later it went back on a car again. I knew I'd use it again and frankly it means more to me than it probably should. It's probably going to go in my box with me eventually. 

20180628_213353.jpg

Blimey, not cheap are they! I gues the dome nuts are the expensive bit, and you don't even see them.

I have used 5mm stainless domed allen headed screws from Toolstation for mountney etc in the past, and nyloc nuts. But it looks like semi-countersunk screws are required here.

I would struggle with slot headed screws. How do you line the up?? Radially all towards the centre? All vertical when wheel is "at rest"? I would lose sleep......

• Haha 1

Shaun,

I'm feeling bad about pointing out your rusty screws. I just found the second set of fixing screws I got from Rimmers when I bought my Moto Lita. I phoned them up to ask if it came with fixing screws as their ad wasn't clear. Somebody couldn't be bothered to check and threw a second set in the box. You're welcome to them if you want them? They're countersunk slot heads an inch long with domed nuts and washers for the back.

And take no notice of Clive! Slot heads should be done up randomly, cover the others up as you tighten each one, so you have no reference point.

Doug

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Shaun,

I'm feeling bad about pointing out your rusty screws. I just found the second set of fixing screws I got from Rimmers when I bought my Moto Lita. I phoned them up to ask if it came with fixing screws as their ad wasn't clear. Somebody couldn't be bothered to check and threw a second set in the box. You're welcome to them if you want them? They're countersunk slot heads an inch long with domed nuts and washers for the back.

And take no notice of Clive! Slot heads should be done up randomly, cover the others up as you tighten each one, so you have no reference point.

Doug

No - Clive is absolutely correct: radial arrangement of the slot heads. Just like mine...

Who mentioned OCD?! ?

Gully

Thanks Doug, that's kind of you but you can hang on to them. I've learnt that once someone feels they owe you a favour...you should hang on until you need a big one :)

When it comes to slot orientation, I don't know what I was thinking saying it should be radial, they should be either perpendicular to radial so as to improve aerodynamic efficiency when turning, or no specific direction so long as the torque is correct to 3 decimal places. Radial looks pretty but it really is style over function. :)

• Like 1